sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
What's the difference btwn quoting and replying? When I first started posting on here I would "quote" people in my replies, but now I "reply" instead, as I didn't see their original text/what I wanted to reply to even show up in my reply. Do you quote or reply?

Reactions: Rocinante
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
What's the difference btwn quoting and replying? When I first started posting on here I would "quote" people in my replies, but now I "reply" instead, as I didn't see their original text/what I wanted to reply to even show up in my reply. Do you quote or reply?
I just use reply. I know you can multi-quote if you want to. I don't think it really matters. If you reply to multiple posts in a short period of time, they also combine.

Reactions: sserafim
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
If you are responding to a particular reply in a thread, you should quote so that the person who wrote the post can see it. In their notifications, it will say that you quoted their post specifically rather than replying to the OP or someone else in the thread.

If I wanted @not-2-b-the-answer to reply specifically, I would quote them instead of merely replying. Since I mean to reply to the OP, @ifeelthelight, a quote isn't necessary.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and sserafim
SnowWhite

SnowWhite

Semi-Professional Disappointment
Jan 16, 2020
Essentialy both serve the same purpose you can use both reply and quote to multi-quote or to reply to a message in full. Quote is slightly easier from what I've heard but I just use reply out of habit and delete the stuff I'm not replying to. I think both give notifications but I'm not entirely sure of that