b0s

b0s

Jan 16, 2020
Post your favourite quotes by anyone, with any meaning.
You can post the meaning of the quotes as well, or how they make you feel.
'Anyone who does not see the vanity of the world is very vain himself.' - Blaise Pascal
'How hollow and foul is the heart of man' - Blaise Pascal
'How many kingdoms know nothing of us.' - Blaise Pascal
I like this one in particular because it is a commentary on how so many people overestimate their own importance in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxdie, sadghost, Marctic and 5 others
UninformedLover

UninformedLover

If you see me active on here...its gotten worse...
Nov 12, 2019
"Never make fun of someone if they mispronounce a word. It means they learned it by reading" - Anonymous

I read it somewhere online and it stuck with me ever since. I personally think it's really nice and can put snobby grammar police in their place lol

Last edited:
Reactions: darksideofthebright, foxdie, LastFlowers and 12 others
SnowWhite

SnowWhite

Semi-Professional Disappointment
Jan 16, 2020
"Even those in misery can better the days of those around them." - College Mate

I remember when he first said this to me. It made me realise that no matter what I'm going through or battling with, a simple smile as you walk past somebody, however forced it may be, can make their day just a little bit better.

• Love
Reactions: Kikoo Loool, Alexus, Zer0 and 4 others
charlottewilts

charlottewilts

read Dostoyevsky
Jun 15, 2019
"Don't pity yourself. If you wallow in self-pity, life will be an endless nightmare." - Bungou Stray Dogs

it's so true. i lived by that for a while and life was much more bearable.

• Love
Reactions: Sensei, Circles, b0s and 2 others
BooGirl

BooGirl

Warlock
Jan 10, 2020
"What a lousy earth! He wondered how many people were destitute that same night even in his own prosperous country, how many homes were shanties, how many husbands were drunk and wives socked, and how many children were bullied, abused, or abandoned. How many families hungered for food they could not afford to buy? How many hearts were broken? How many suicides would take place that same night, how many people would go insane? How many cockroaches and landlords would triumph? How many winners were losers, successes failures, and rich men poor men? How many wise guys were stupid? How many happy endings were unhappy endings? How many honest men were liars, brave men cowards, loyal men traitors, how many sainted men were corrupt, how many people in positions of trust had sold their souls to bodyguards, how many had never had souls? How many straight-and-narrow paths were crooked paths? How many best families were worst families and how many good people were bad people? When you added them all up and then subtracted, you might be left with only the children, and perhaps with Albert Einstein and an old violinist or sculptor somewhere."

Reactions: The Dark Chaos, Circles, charlottewilts and 2 others
SnowWhite

SnowWhite

Jan 16, 2020
"What a lousy earth! He wondered how many people were destitute that same night even in his own prosperous country, how many homes were shanties, how many husbands were drunk and wives socked, and how many children were bullied, abused, or abandoned. How many families hungered for food they could not afford to buy? How many hearts were broken? How many suicides would take place that same night, how many people would go insane? How many cockroaches and landlords would triumph? How many winners were losers, successes failures, and rich men poor men? How many wise guys were stupid? How many happy endings were unhappy endings? How many honest men were liars, brave men cowards, loyal men traitors, how many sainted men were corrupt, how many people in positions of trust had sold their souls to bodyguards, how many had never had souls? How many straight-and-narrow paths were crooked paths? How many best families were worst families and how many good people were bad people? When you added them all up and then subtracted, you might be left with only the children, and perhaps with Albert Einstein and an old violinist or sculptor somewhere."

Wow, love this quote. I could imagine this opening the eyes of people who aren't exposed to the flaws of this world.
Where is it from?

Reactions: BooGirl
BooGirl

BooGirl

Warlock
Jan 10, 2020
Wow, love this quote. I could imagine this opening the eyes of people who aren't exposed to the flaws of this world.
Where is it from?
It's from Catch-22. Super good book, although it is about a guy who really wants to live, so it's a bit of a mismatch haha

Reactions: Temporarilyabsurd and SnowWhite
SnowWhite

SnowWhite

Jan 16, 2020
It's from Catch-22. Super good book, although it is about a guy who really wants to live, so it's a bit of a mismatch haha

Maybe a bit of a mismatch, but with such a powerful quote like that I might have to have a look at it :P.

• Love
Reactions: JINXiT and BooGirl
BooGirl

BooGirl

Warlock
Jan 10, 2020
Maybe a bit of a mismatch, but with such a powerful quote like that I might have to have a look at it :P.
You won't be disappointed! It's a bit of a hard book to read at first, since it's all out of order chronologically, but when it all comes together, it's beautiful.

• Love
Reactions: Soul and SnowWhite
Freedom Believer

Freedom Believer

Forever alone.
Dec 23, 2019
"It's letting go...to begin again." - Fallout: New Vegas: Dead Money

Reactions: The Dark Chaos, itsmeagain and Finis Autem Spero
cosmicpixiedust

cosmicpixiedust

Pixie
Jun 5, 2019
"Only to the extent that we expose ourselves to annihilation can that which is indestructible be found in us."

I don't know if I live by it, I do really like it though and think that it holds a lot of meaning.

Another one I've always liked (for you MM fans as well):

"When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed."

• Love
Reactions: signifying nothing, Finis Autem Spero and b0s
Science Is Scary

Science Is Scary

Evidence is the path to the truth. Maybe.
Oct 17, 2019
"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

I tend to think that no suicide method will satisfy everyone. Even if everyone could agree that a peaceful pill or drion pill had been created, some people still wouldn't like it.
And no single path to recovery will satisfy everyone's needs.
And no post on this forum will satisfy everyone.

See also:

No Silver Bullet.
Wicked Problem.
Pareto frontier.
Model-dependent realism.

• Hugs
Reactions: LastFlowers, Aeathelina, b0s and 2 others
marcusuk63

marcusuk63

CTB
Mar 24, 2019
Whether if you are an optimist or pessimist the outcome will still be the same but the optimist will have a better time.
(I think we all know which camp we are in :aw:)

Reactions: Sensei and UninformedLover
WhyIsLife56

WhyIsLife56

Antinatalism + Efilism ❤️
Nov 4, 2019
Reactions: Skathon, Meena and Soul
Finis Autem Spero

Finis Autem Spero

Dec 30, 2019
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate. – Albert Schweitzer

Reactions: Sensei
passenger27

passenger27

In my beginning is my end.
Aug 25, 2019
If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, Finis Autem Spero and Sensei
BipolarExpat

BipolarExpat

Accomplished faker
May 30, 2019
Random youtube quote under Chris Cornell's (lyrically haunting) "Like a Stone" vid.

2F0B098A 2424 419D 93E6 DAF9B7B44A65

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
Not a quote but I watch this video often

Reactions: JINXiT
Dead beat dad

Dead beat dad

Enlightened
Mar 5, 2019
"We make a living from what we get. We make a life from what we give"
Winston Churchill

"The better you look, the more you see" Victor Ward/ Johnson

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
"I am tired.
Do you have an aspirin?
My back hurts."

Quote by yours truly
I literally live by it.

Reactions: Skathon
D

Deformationalplagio

Born deformed
Dec 28, 2019
You are what you eat, some days i eat nothing.

Reactions: Epsilon0
thereisnoneed

thereisnoneed

Jan 23, 2020
the entire universe has one goal, which is to reach non-being. It achieves this through the continuous weakening of the sum of its forces. Hence entropy.

Mainlander Philipp

Reactions: Kikoo Loool
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
"I wish I hadn't thrown away all the notebooks I filled with quotes I collected from my favorite authors over the years"
- Me

• Hugs
Reactions: Aeathelina, Ame, Epsilon0 and 1 other person
Kikoo Loool

Kikoo Loool

Enlightened
Feb 25, 2019
Irvine Welsh (Trainspotting) said:
Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suit on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourselves. Choose your future. Choose life… But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?

Reactions: StateOfMind
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
What is a good man?
The teacher of a bad man.
What is a bad man?
A good man's charge.
— I Ching

Aeathelina

Aeathelina

Little Homeless Girl
Feb 5, 2020
"Forever I shall be a stranger to myself." Albert Camus.
I strongly feel no matter what happens in my life I'll ever know who I really am.

Reactions: Iloveyouall and Ame
D

Dear Flabby

Please listen to “Across the Universe”
Feb 20, 2020
"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E.B. White
Author of "Charlotte's Web"

mesohappy

mesohappy

Cat piss sammich??
Jan 10, 2020
Two tears in a bucket-
Motherfuck it.
-some guy