pushka

pushka

Mar 23, 2018
I know there is already a thread dedicated to inspirational quotes, but I thought I'd start one devoted to quotes relating to suicide/death/depression and so with the opposite objective of the other thread (I prefer to take a 'pessimistic' take on things):

• "The thought of suicide is a great consolation; by means of it gets one through many a dark night"
  • "Suicide only really frightens those who are never tempted by it and never will be, for its darkness only welcomes those who are predestined to it"
  • "The soul maintains its deathly sleep and the heart bleeds from a thousand wounds"
  • "She is glad to know that it is possible to stop living. There is comfort in facing the full range of options"
  • "I'm so despondent about everything. Everything I try goes totally wrong. There's no escape from this hole here. I feel drained. So far, I still haven't found a real purpose in life. Sometimes, I'm afraid to get out of bed in the morning. There's nothing to get up for."
  • "The world outside my house was bright and colourful, thriving in the sunshine, but all I could see was gray. I saw death. I saw nothing worth ever seeing again. Nothing worth living for tomorrow."
  • "Media vita in morte sumus" - (In the midst of life we are in death)
  • "I'm going to kill myself, and this isn't a cry for help. I just need someone to come over here and clean up the mess."
  • "La tristesse durera toujours." ('The sadness will last forever' - supposedly Van Gogh's last words.)

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, blueming, Dog Food and 6 others
Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
"Dying is an art like everything else. I do it exceptionally well. I do it so it feels like hell. I do it so it feels real. I guess you could say I've a call."
- Sylvia Plath (from Lady Lazarous)

Last edited:
Reactions: ouvreyes, Weeping Garbage Can, plotinus and 9 others
pushka

pushka

Mar 23, 2018
"Every man is a master of his life and his destiny so I have the right to dispose of my life the way I want"

Reactions: lv-gras, Weeping Garbage Can, blueming and 3 others
Skathon

Skathon

"...scarred underneath, and I'm falling..."
Oct 29, 2018
My most favourite ones:
"Life is killing you" © Deathstars
"What's worse:
This world or my only way out?"
© Carnifex

Reactions: lv-gras, Weeping Garbage Can and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Dog Food

Dog Food

POS
Mar 27, 2018
What's that David Foster Wallace quote about the burning building?

Reactions: lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can and 1 other person
plotinus

plotinus

anotha one rides da bus
Oct 9, 2018
"Dying is an art like everything else. I do it exceptionally well. I do it so it feels like hell. I do it so it feels real. I guess you could say I've a call."
My favorite :)
Hearing her recite it is beautiful:

Resonates so strongly (duh)

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, ouvreyes and Weeping Garbage Can
MexicanTravels

MexicanTravels

Pokémon Master
Sep 6, 2018
What's that David Foster Wallace quote about the burning building?

"The so-called 'psychotically depressed' person who tries to kill herself doesn't do so out of quote 'hopelessness' or any abstract conviction that life's assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire's flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It's not desiring the fall; it's terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling 'Don't!' and 'Hang on!', can understand the jump. Not really. You'd have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."

A very good quote in fact!

Reactions: aspen, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, ouvreyes and 2 others
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
These are really nice quotes @smiggles. Pro-lifers very oftenly dismiss them as negative and mental health professionals try to label it as a disease when it isn't. But for us, it's inspiring and quite the read.

Reactions: lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Weeping Garbage Can
Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
"The so-called 'psychotically depressed' person who tries to kill herself doesn't do so out of quote 'hopelessness' or any abstract conviction that life's assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire's flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It's not desiring the fall; it's terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling 'Don't!' and 'Hang on!', can understand the jump. Not really. You'd have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."

A very good quote in fact!
Love this one.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Weeping Garbage Can
ouvreyes

ouvreyes

シシ
Oct 7, 2018

Love her to death. Always read this in her voice when I see it.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals