MidnightDream

MidnightDream

Warlock
Sep 5, 2022
Does anyone have any advice on how to quit drinking? And avoid social pressure associated with drinking?

It's a MAJOR trigger for me but I can't seem to stop. I'm not a regular drinker but I have issues with self control and whenever I'm in a situation that allows it, I can't stop myself from getting a drink. And then 2. And then 20. And then trying to off myself.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: squareminus1, western_heart, Julgran and 1 other person
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Does anyone have any advice on how to quit drinking? And avoid social pressure associated with drinking?

It's a MAJOR trigger for me but I can't seem to stop. I'm not a regular drinker but I have issues with self control and whenever I'm in a situation that allows it, I can't stop myself from getting a drink. And then 2. And then 20. And then trying to off myself.

The first thing that you will need is a real kind of motivation for quitting alcohol - if that's your goal, you may want to start out by listening to this podcast. Also, see this thread.

Good luck! :wink:

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Ashu, MidnightDream and Huntfish34
Huntfish34

Huntfish34

Enlightened
Mar 13, 2020
I'm right there with you,. I can't live with alcohol and I can't live without it. Truly a toxic cycle to say the Very least. I go to AA meetings but that only helps so much with my sick mind.

I wish you nothing but the best -

• Hugs
Reactions: Cathy Ames and Julgran
western_heart

western_heart

trying to save ourself
May 23, 2021
Good luck! I quit alcohol 3 years ago and haven't gone back. It was really hard for the first year or so, but at this point cravings are rare and I can be around it without indulging myself.

I found r/StopDrinking to be really helpful for online support, and also talking to/following people on social media who have given up drinking. Seeing others made it easier for me to imagine myself not drinking.

The biggest IRL change for me was not having alcohol in the house (I live with my partner who drinks on occasion). Also, having my partner & family & anyone else I spent time with know that I don't drink… I used to get pretty tempted in public. Letting people know ahead of time before we might encounter alcohol. Setting the expectation that I might go back to my hotel room/head home early if those I am with are going to be at a bar. I've found people to be accommodating if they are aware- having sparkling juice instead of champagne for celebrations, HR at my old job even organized an alcohol free night at a company event where they'd normally have beer/wine served at the table.

• Love
Reactions: MidnightDream
MidnightDream

MidnightDream

Warlock
Sep 5, 2022
The first thing that you will need is a real kind of motivation for quitting alcohol - if that's your goal, you may want to start out by listening to this podcast. Also, see this thread.

Good luck! :wink:
This is so helpful, thank you!
I'm right there with you,. I can't live with alcohol and I can't live without it. Truly a toxic cycle to say the Very least. I go to AA meetings but that only helps so much with my sick mind.

I wish you nothing but the best -
I haven't considered AA... I'm studying towards a regulated profession and I'd be worried it would disqualify me from my course :( Wishing you the best also!
Good luck! I quit alcohol 3 years ago and haven't gone back. It was really hard for the first year or so, but at this point cravings are rare and I can be around it without indulging myself.

I found r/StopDrinking to be really helpful for online support, and also talking to/following people on social media who have given up drinking. Seeing others made it easier for me to imagine myself not drinking.

The biggest IRL change for me was not having alcohol in the house (I live with my partner who drinks on occasion). Also, having my partner & family & anyone else I spent time with know that I don't drink… I used to get pretty tempted in public. Letting people know ahead of time before we might encounter alcohol. Setting the expectation that I might go back to my hotel room/head home early if those I am with are going to be at a bar. I've found people to be accommodating if they are aware- having sparkling juice instead of champagne for celebrations, HR at my old job even organized an alcohol free night at a company event where they'd normally have beer/wine served at the table.
You've been so helpful to me today haha! I appreciate you. I'll definitely check out that reddit, that seems like a really good resource.

I really appreciate the advice with social settings, those are some good tips! I'm going to a cocktail bar on friday with some friends.. One of them doesn't drink at all and she's going to be supporting me and we're going to be doing our own little 'mocktail tasting' thing so that could be a really good influence! I guess we'll see

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Huntfish34 and western_heart
theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
there are two paths: Stop drinking immediately and never try it again; the other way is to stop gradually.

Reactions: rainbowbright
MidnightDream

MidnightDream

Warlock
Sep 5, 2022
there are two paths: Stop drinking immediately and never try it again; the other way is to stop gradually.
I feel like the first one is gonna be the best thing for me, but it's so damn difficult

• Hugs
Reactions: Cathy Ames and theboy
theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: rainbowbright, Huntfish34, western_heart and 1 other person
Huntfish34

Huntfish34

Enlightened
Mar 13, 2020
Thank you,. I appreciate it! Yeah I'm sorry I don't have any concrete suggestions or answers. But you are not alone. Right there with you.. -

• Hugs
MidnightDream

MidnightDream

Warlock
Sep 5, 2022
Thank you,. I appreciate it! Yeah I'm sorry I don't have any concrete suggestions or answers. But you are not alone. Right there with you.. -
Don't apologise! The support means the world. It's so nice to not feel alone when dealing with things like this

• Love
Reactions: Huntfish34
rainbowbright

rainbowbright

Oct 1, 2022
I managed to just stop after I got particularly aggressive one time and threw a bottle at somebody's head who was just trying to help me in my drunken state, I'm not an aggressive person at all but with having BPD and drinking it made me into a monster 😞 my motivation to not drink now is that I don't want to end up like my so called mother who is such a nasty drunk

• Hugs
Reactions: MidnightDream and onlyanimalsaregood
MidnightDream

MidnightDream

Warlock
Sep 5, 2022
I managed to just stop after I got particularly aggressive one time and threw a bottle at somebody's head who was just trying to help me in my drunken state, I'm not an aggressive person at all but with having BPD and drinking it made me into a monster 😞 my motivation to not drink now is that I don't want to end up like my so called mother who is such a nasty drunk
I'm so sorry :( I have BPD too so fully relate. Congratulations on being able to stop!

• Hugs
Reactions: rainbowbright
Kismet

Kismet

life is pointless
Feb 16, 2022
I drank heavy for several years every night, couldn't go without it. 1/2 gallon of Jack every 3 days. I had it down on how long it would last, how much I could drink before I was super stupid the next day, drink on an empty stomach to feel it faster and start drinking with a few sleeping pills so I'd pass out quicker. I stopped after finding Kratom. K helps take away the depression, which was the reason for drinking. It was a rough several weeks and took months before I was somewhat normal again.

Good Luck and don't hesitate to reach out anytime

• Love