S

sfeniv

Sep 4, 2018
Hey everyone, I'm new to posting in this forum but I want to ask a few questions I haven't seen answered anywhere.
About the CO method, do I absolutely need to use briquettes or will any type of charcoal do?
Also, I don't have access to a chimney starter, is that bad? Can I light them in a metal tray directly?

Reactions: lv-gras and weedoge
bbq1

bbq1

Gone
Aug 3, 2018
Lumpwood has a bit more carbon than briquettes but burns a bit hotter, either will do.
Bad not buying a chimney, amazon has lots.
But if your using disposable bbq's with the silver tray you mention you should be ok. Sprinkle a few firelighters in the charcoal to help it light better.
Wait 45 minutes maybe longer so all smoke has gone.

Reactions: sfeniv, lv-gras and weedoge
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Yup, chimney starter removes doubt but it should be fine if you're confident with lighting the coals evenly.

As bbq said, all charcoal is an almost pure carbon fuel. If you have enough then I think the brand or type isn't so important.

Reactions: sfeniv and lv-gras
S

sfeniv

Sep 4, 2018
Thanks everyone for the replies.
I will admit I don't have a lot of experience with lighting charcoals but I will try with a bit of alcohol.
Nice to know that lumpwood has more carbon content

Reactions: lv-gras
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Thanks everyone for the replies.
I will admit I don't have a lot of experience with lighting charcoals but I will try with a bit of alcohol.
Nice to know that lumpwood has more carbon content
But I believe both types will be 90%+ carbon which is what's important. You can technically generate carbon monoxide from smouldering wood or even camping gas stoves etc its just cleaner with charcoal because its almost pure.

Idk about others but I'm not so concerned about this, the more important thing is sealing your area, using a good quantity of charcoal and getting a good even light.

Reactions: sfeniv and lv-gras
S

sfeniv

Sep 4, 2018
I'd like to, but it isn't sold around here (no chimneys). And importing one isn't very feasible right now.

Btw, how much charcoal do I need? I'm thinking 2kg for a small space even though I've read 1kg should do the job

ThereIsNoHope

ThereIsNoHope

Aug 13, 2018
I'd like to, but it isn't sold around here (no chimneys). And importing one isn't very feasible right now.

Btw, how much charcoal do I need? I'm thinking 2kg for a small space even though I've read 1kg should do the job

I think 1kg is enough for a car and 2kg for a small space like a bathroom

Reactions: sfeniv