I

infoseeker

Jan 25, 2021
I read somewhere that gravity alone gives enough for a partial suspension hanging. Is that true? If that's true, and body weight creates enough pressure against the neck, and a rope squeezing around the neck is not necessary, then why is a slip knot often recommended? If gravity does enough, wouldn't it work if the rope pressed against the front of my neck (not the back) in a U shape without tying a knot? The reason I ask is that a knotted rope that squeezes around the neck (instead of just bodyweight creating the pressure) could squeeze a lot hard than desired.

All of those questions relate to and lead up to a greater purpose: knowing how to avoid pain when dying from hanging.

According to what I read (and please don't accept these as facts, I don't remember the sources):
- On average, it requires about 11 lbs. of pressure to compress the carotid vein (nearly painless death).
- On average, it requires about 33 lbs. of pressure to compress the trachea (severe pain).
- The average weight of the human head is approximately 11 lbs.
- The "ligature" is the name of the object you tie the rope to in order to support your body weight.

Here is the biggest question I have and the main reason for posting. The fear that someone seeking a painless death has is compressing the trachea and painfully dying. Can't I eliminate the risk of pain and nearly guarantee a painless hanging by creating a pressure-sensitive ligament? What I mean by "pressure-sensitive ligament" is a ligament that will break and stop supporting my weight if before the pressure is high enough to compress the trachea.

For example, suppose my head and neck weigh 14 lbs. Suppose my carotid vein compresses at 11 lbs of pressure and painlessly passes me out. Suppose my trachea compresses at 33 lbs. Finally, suppose the ligature breaks at 20 lbs. of pressure. If I accidentally put so much pressure on my neck that would cause a painful trachea compression, it would break the ligature and I wouldn't hang. If I managed to get 14 bs. of gravity pressure that only compressed my carotid vein, then the ligature would hold and I'd die a nearly painless death only from the carotid vein compression.

Of course, if the pressure was coming from a knotted rope that was stuck, I could be forced to experience a painful death by trachea compression. That's why I asked about the rope in my first question. Thanks for reading and I look forward to your help.

As a disclaimer, I not claiming I will kill myself. I am merely asking for information about the pretend situation where I'd do it.

D

Danterno

Jan 22, 2020
How you accomplish such a set up practically?

Reactions: infoseeker and hedgehog30
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Gravity will do the work once you do the set-up.

Reactions: infoseeker
I

infoseeker

Jan 25, 2021
How you accomplish such a set up practically?
That is a great question. I haven't worked out the details but I'm searching. Sorry I'm not more knowledgeable and helpful with this.