R

RedSalvation15

Mar 13, 2019
Hello dear SanctionedSuicide community,

I signed up here because I have some questions about the gun-suicide method.
To keep it short: I'm an owner of a 9mm and would, if the day ever comes, put my lights out with a hollow point bullet.
I know that hitting the brain stem ensures certain death.

Now my questions:
Number one: If I would shoot myself in my flat... could it be possible, that the hollow point bullet penetrates my skull, the kevlar "bulletproof"-vest, which is pulled over a sack full of dry earth AND also the wall behind all of these, which consists of some inches of concrete (pretty thick, but I don't know how thick exactly)?
I just don't want anybody else to be hit by the bullet. I personally don't believe, that the bullet will travel that far, but I just want to be sure about that.
Of course I could somewhere outside into the woods, but I also don't want that some innocent find my half-blown-up corpse with the gun beside me.
Yeah... dying is not that easy.

Second and third question:
If I'd miss the brainstem and hit some brain-area near the stem, would it get me unconscious, so that I don't feel the pain while bleeding out until death arrives?
In case I'd miss the brainstem, how long would it take to bleed out approximately?
I guess nobody can tell that exactly (too much variables ...), but maybe you could give me your thoughts about that.

Fourth and last question:
Keeping the head straight, like starring into a mirror, gun straight into the mouth and then aim up at an angle of 15-20 degrees, right?

I did a lot of research, but I read a lot of different answers about this. This forum seems like a place, where some people know what they are talking about, so I wanted to post my questions here and hope for some answers. I also read the megathread(s) about guns, but still every situation is different and nobody wants to mess this up.

Thank you very much in advance, I appreciate your answers!

Reactions: anywherebuthere, siray and FTL.Wanderer
locusdelicti

locusdelicti

Jan 6, 2019
9mm with a hollowpoint should do it, and you seem to have already done a fair amount of research on angle, but in my opinion, if you are wedded to the notion of a firearm as your way out, I can't stress enough that a shotgun is by FAR a better alternative. Your death will be as fast as the speed of sound, and there is pretty much a ZERO chance you can mess it up. As opposed to a bullet, a shell is designed to spread. I'd sell the 9mm, get a cheap shotgun - they're like $250 - and a lot of your concerns should evaporate. Even a shotgun blast won't go through concrete block (you don't have anything to worry about with a 9mm on that front, to answer your question).

• Love
Reactions: leavingsoon99, RedSalvation15, TAW122 and 1 other person
FTL.Wanderer

FTL.Wanderer

Enlightened
May 31, 2018
9mm with a hollowpoint should do it, and you seem to have already done a fair amount of research on angle, but in my opinion, if you are wedded to the notion of a firearm as your way out, I can't stress enough that a shotgun is by FAR a better alternative. Your death will be as fast as the speed of sound, and there is pretty much a ZERO chance you can mess it up. As opposed to a bullet, a shell is designed to spread. I'd sell the 9mm, get a cheap shotgun - they're like $250 - and a lot of your concerns should evaporate. Even a shotgun blast won't go through concrete block (you don't have anything to worry about with a 9mm on that front, to answer your question).

What kind of experience do you think people who've never used a gun before should have before doing the shotgun method? Would it be worth it taking a gun class (if they even offer shotgun classes)? And what do you think about short shotguns that allow you to position them in mouth while holding them? Do you think the arm-length makes it harder to keep the gun in the mouth despite recoil? Thanks for any replies...

C14

C14

I like you :)
Sep 23, 2018
What would you say about loading a muzzleloader with birdshot?

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
@locusdelicti This is good advice, pretty much summed it up pretty well. To add to this, if the OP cannot obtain a long gun but only has 9mm with hollowpoint rounds, then the aim is even more crucial. Furthermore, with anything less than a shotgun with 00 buckshot, then it is recommended to make sure that first responders will have a harder time to arrive at the location and/or make it less convenient for them to save you, thus giving yourself more bleed out or die of other injuries. If around a body of water or even a tall place (bridge or building), then drowning or falling would be an extra insurance to ensure a successful ctb. Oh and one more thing, the advantage of having a pistol is concealability. (Note: If you don't have a concealed carry permit, you would be in violation of whatever your state's law is in regards to concealed weapons, unless you live in a state that doesn't require a permit to carry concealed. I'm not recommending breaking the law, but then again if you are ctb'ing then it may be irrelevant, but if you survive and happen to be in violation of such law(s), then you may have legal issues later on.) About the angle, I think people have recommended to aim low as it will reduce the chances of blowing off the frontal part of the brain (resulting in a small but significant chance of survival) and being a vegetable. Also, hitting lower has a greater chance of hitting the vital part of the spine that controls breathing and heart beat, even if the brainstem is missed. I'm not 100% on that but others with better anatomical knowledge might be able to elaborate on why that is the case.

@FTL.Wanderer A short shotgun might be easier to aim and position, but not fully necessary imho. (Also keep in mind that shortening the barrel or overall length of a shotgun (18" for barrels, and overall length 26") without proper NFA documentation and getting the proper licenses/permits for such thing is a very serious crime, but irrelevant if you already plan to ctb.) As for practicing with the firearm, it can help, but not absolutely necessary unless you have exceptionally poor aim. Personally, I have never shot any long gun in my life, only a pistol (Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm) at a gun range several years ago. Do make sure to watch videos of people shooting to get an idea of the recoil and what not. Just keep in mind not to pull the gun or flinch when anticipating the gun going off as this is what causes people to miss what they are hitting. Also, remember to squeeze the trigger until it goes off rather than just pulling it. You can practice this by shooting a gun without any ammo in it (also called dry firing).

@C14 I'm not familiar with muzzleloaders myself, I'd say they are a bit more complex to load and set up than a regular firearm, but not so much more. They might be easier to obtain in lieu of an modern firearm.

Reactions: siray, RedSalvation15 and FTL.Wanderer
R

Roadkill

Experienced
Dec 25, 2018
With a gun to the head, there is always a chance of not dying... check out pics of failed shotgun suicides and you'll see what I mean

TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
With a gun to the head, there is always a chance of not dying... check out pics of failed shotgun suicides and you'll see what I mean

In regards to shotguns and other long guns, it is generally better to have the barrel in the mouth as it will be really difficult to position it to the head (even if your arm length is long) and the right area while still being able to reach the trigger. Usually, most shots to the side of the temple are done with pistols and side arms rather than long guns. Another thing to consider is that the placement of the pistol/side arm is either through the ear or immediately behind the ear, which ensures a greater chance of hitting the brainstem.

Reactions: RedSalvation15, Roadkill and FTL.Wanderer
R

RedSalvation15

Mar 13, 2019
Thanks to all of you for your answers!

It wouldn't be any problem for me to obtain a shotgun, but I don't want to traumatize my relatives more than needed. A shotgun would just spread the whole brain/head like everywhere.
Gun-suicide never has been my first ctb-choice, but pills and alcohol just didn't work. My body is too resistant for this.
About obtaining N ... everyone knows that it's not that easy.

Also thought about a .454 Casull, but I can't hold that beast calm while pulling the trigger, maybe resulting in a very bad angle and nothing more than a hellton of pain, being a vegetable afterwards and so on.

If anyone could put their two cents about question number two and three, I'd also appreciate this very much.

Thanks again so far!

Reactions: FTL.Wanderer
FTL.Wanderer

FTL.Wanderer

Enlightened
May 31, 2018

It wouldn't be any problem for me to obtain a shotgun, but I don't want to traumatize my relatives more than needed. A shotgun would just spread the whole brain/head like everywhere.
Gun-suicide never has been my first ctb-choice, but pills and alcohol just didn't work. My body is too resistant for this.

Also thought about a .454 Casull, but I can't hold that beast calm while pulling the trigger, maybe resulting in a very bad angle and nothing more than a hellton of pain, being a vegetable afterwards and so on.

If anyone could put their two cents about question number two and three, I'd also appreciate this very much.

Thanks again so far!

I hear you on the "shotgun is too messy" comment. Unless the Sarco Capsule is released soon and foreigners (US) can travel to wherever it's legal to use (assuming it's affordable), it's a short shotgun so far for me. I have not read a single other method I feel confident in and comfortable with. If you find something very reliable, very easy (to set up and complete), and unintimidating, please update SS. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: RedSalvation15
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018

Thanks again so far!
For the 2nd question, well if you hit the upper part of your spine (still close enough to the back of your brain), you could still achieve death through damaging what controls breathing and heartbeat. With such traumatic damage to the brain, there are other things that will cause death, swelling in the brain, hydrostatic shock, and blood loss, etc. Also, yes you should be unconscious (you won't ever hear or even sense recoil as you would be unconscious as fast (or faster) than the speed of sound) when the bullet leaves the barrel.

For the 3rd question, I can't give an estimate and I don't know, but I'd say maybe about less than one minute to about few minutes (like 5 minutes), depending on how bad of a wound it is, the caliber used, where you hit, etc.

Reactions: siray and RedSalvation15
R

RedSalvation15

Mar 13, 2019
All of my questions are answered now - thanks again to all of you and special thanks to @thrw_a_way1221221 for being always pretty detailed.

I also hope that this will help someone else... at least partly.
Of course I wish everybody here could at least obtain a bearable quality of life at least somehow, but it's not always that easy.

Keep your heads up.

• Hugs
Reactions: SipSop, siray and FTL.Wanderer