Deutsch

Deutsch

Aug 20, 2018
hi so, sorry for making wasteful thread, but i want to be 100% sure what i am doing
https://imgur.com/a/vNiyHpL - first image is 25 minutes in the chimney starter. after that i proceeded to dump the briquettes out, 2nd image is after letting them onto the grill, then i waited 45 minutes and took the last picture. what am i doing wrong, why is the briquettes crumbling? and i m using royal oak briqueetes about 1kg as 8ch hideg recommended. thx guys

Reactions: DeletedUser4739, akosineenee, lv-gras and 1 other person
bbq1

bbq1

Gone
Aug 3, 2018
Ok well thats what I meant by testing your timings. Everybody will have different results. For those particular briquettes they were perfect at 25 minutes then went on and burnt away. So don't wait that extra 45 minutes, get them inside as in pic 2.
Also you could use a full chimney in pic 1, it seems it wasn't full to the top.
So fill up and use 25 minutes as your finish time and that should sort it out.

They do appear to have burnt away much faster than normal. Maybe get some kingsford originals if you don't trust these.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoloTomasi, akosineenee and Deutsch
Deutsch

Deutsch

Aug 20, 2018
Ok well thats what I meant by testing your timings. Everybody will have different results. For those particular briquettes they were perfect at 25 minutes then went on and burnt away. So don't wait that extra 45 minutes, get them inside as in pic 2.
Also you could use a full chimney in pic 1, it seems it wasn't full to the top.
So fill up and use 25 minutes as your finish time and that should sort it out.

They do appear to have burnt away much faster than normal. Maybe get some kingsford originals if you don't trust these.
oh ok, thanks then, will try again right now

bbq1

bbq1

Gone
Aug 3, 2018
Yes, have another practice. Dump them into a tray and it'll contain them and stop them falling through a grill, also it'll stop airflow getting to them from underneath so will slow their destruction. I'm surprised they vanished so quick, hardly useful if you were having a proper bbq for a few people. I was told they were a good popular brand but the vanishing act doesnt inspire confidence in them.

Reactions: RoloTomasi, DeletedUser4739, akosineenee and 1 other person
D

DeletedUser4739

Yes, have another practice. Dump them into a tray and it'll contain them and stop them falling through a grill, also it'll stop airflow getting to them from underneath so will slow their destruction. I'm surprised they vanished so quick, hardly useful if you were having a proper bbq for a few people. I was told they were a good popular brand but the vanishing act doesnt inspire confidence in them.
Maybe they burned so quickly because they burn at a faster rate in the charcoal starter? I hope this time was a success.

Reactions: bbq1, anna and Deutsch
D

DeletedUser4739

hi so, sorry for making wasteful thread, but i want to be 100% sure what i am doing
https://imgur.com/a/vNiyHpL - first image is 25 minutes in the chimney starter. after that i proceeded to dump the briquettes out, 2nd image is after letting them onto the grill, then i waited 45 minutes and took the last picture. what am i doing wrong, why is the briquettes crumbling? and i m using royal oak briqueetes about 1kg as 8ch hideg recommended. thx guys
Thank you for the images. For what it's worth, I agree that the first image at 25 minutes is correct. You just may want to let them reach that level of burn in the grill, not the starter. I'm wondering if the starter's higher burn rate could have caused the briquettes to break down faster. Good luck!

Reactions: Deutsch
Deutsch

Deutsch

Aug 20, 2018
Thank you for the images. For what it's worth, I agree that the first image at 25 minutes is correct. You just may want to let them reach that level of burn in the grill, not the starter. I'm wondering if the starter's higher burn rate could have caused the briquettes to break down faster. Good luck!
Yeah i did another test run and instead of 25 min im gonna do 18 in the chimney starter because it heats really fast

throwaway123

throwaway123

Hell0
Aug 5, 2018
God, I'm envious. I wish I could go this way. Good luck. Are you leaving today?

Reactions: akosineenee and Deutsch
akosineenee

akosineenee

Invisible idiot
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah i did another test run and instead of 25 min im gonna do 18 in the chimney starter because it heats really fast
Usually 10-20 minutes will do the trick depending on weather conditions. I'd say try with 15 minutes. I agree with bbq practice as much as you can to get it just about right. God I wish I can.

Reactions: RoloTomasi, bbq1, anna and 1 other person
Deutsch

Deutsch

Aug 20, 2018
God, I'm envious. I wish I could go this way. Good luck. Are you leaving today?
I've got to wait for fam. to fall asleep and hopefully i will be in the mood when they are. if i kill myself I'll be sure to let you all know as you are all my greatest friends and have helped me greatly :)

Reactions: akosineenee and throwaway123
Deutsch

Deutsch

Aug 20, 2018
Usually 10-20 minutes will do the trick depending on weather conditions. I'd say try with 15 minutes. I agree with bbq practice as much as you can to get it just about right. God I wish I can.
Thanks I'll do 15 then

Reactions: akosineenee
D

DeletedUser4739

I would do even less than that. your coals will reach the appropriate temp in the grill it just takes a lil longer. just my opinion though

D

DeletedUser4739

is15 good
i would try 10 in the starter, then let them reach the desired appearance in the grill. hopefully, this will facilitate a slow, even burn so they last and don't break up

Reactions: bbq1
Deutsch

Deutsch

Aug 20, 2018
i would try 10 in the starter, then let them reach the desired appearance in the grill. hopefully, this will facilitate a slow, even burn so they last and don't break up
ahh ok, makes more sense now, i will do this, i was afraid of crumbling

Reactions: bbq1 and DeletedUser4739
akosineenee

akosineenee

Invisible idiot
Aug 22, 2018
If anything I hope you succeed and find peace. Are you doing this at home? In a fully sealed bathroom maybe?

Reactions: DeletedUser4739 and Deutsch
D

DeletedUser4739

ahh ok, makes more sense now, i will do this, i was afraid of crumbling
i hope it works for you. if not, please let me know as this has been my preferred method. thanks and best of luck to you!

Reactions: Sickandtired, Deutsch and akosineenee