Status
Not open for further replies.
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
Just out of curiosity - what is the procedure?

@Hasssssuùuu

• Love
Reactions: GoneGoneGone
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
youd have to selfban

Lilacmoon

Lilacmoon

Beautiful moon, take me away.
Sep 23, 2020
account details -> disable account -> enter password -> selfban timer starts I believe? 48 hours to cancel it?

Reactions: January-ish, StateOfMind, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and 1 other person
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
You can self ban or It's quicker to ask a mod

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
Thank you.

Reactions: Deleted member 19654
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
I cannot see the meta forum anymore, for ban appeal if something goes wrong and I come back later than two days.

Reactions: sufferingalways
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Self ban, request ban, or make a goodbye thread and they'll ban you within 48 hours. I hope you stick around a bit longer with us though!

Reactions: Antigonish, _Minsk, Sensei and 3 others
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
I hope you mean a temporary break rather than a permanent one.
I am considering either one to be honest. I am a bit fed up with this site. Being here clearly isn't doing me much good. Then when I look back at the past x months of my life, the only thing I really paid attention to and devoted my time to is this forum, which is really sad and in a bizarre way makes me want to take a permanent exit.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Deleted member 19276, Busdriver, _Minsk and 11 others
Lilacmoon

Lilacmoon

Beautiful moon, take me away.
Sep 23, 2020
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: Deleted member 19276, Marchioness and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
StuFin

StuFin

Arcanist
Oct 21, 2020
I am considering either one to be honest. I am a bit fed up with this site. Being here clearly isn't doing me much good. Then when I look back at the past x months of my life, the only thing I really paid attention to and devoted my time to is this forum, which is really sad and in a bizarre way makes me want to take a permanent exit.
I've found the same thing on other forums about all kinds of topics. I get absorbed by them and talking to the people there, first thing in the morning log on and spend a couple of hours, check in later, then find the whole day has gone and I've done nothing.

I think the internet in general can take over your life and I don't think it's good for us.

Best wishes whatever you decide.

Reactions: Busdriver, 262653, esse_est_percipi and 4 others
P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
hey, hope you're doing well. sorry for the late response.

a name is crossed out by being banned. permanent bans (accumulation of 100 warning points), self-bans, or requesting a staff member to ban you will have your name crossed out.

you can use the ticket system and create a ticket asking to be unbanned if you do change your mind.

hope you find peace with whatever decision you choose to make.

take care.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 19276, _Minsk, Sensei and 1 other person
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
I feel a bit the same.
I came here looking for a quick/easy way out, but haven't found that, and therefore don't know what the use is in my being on this site anymore.
I don't find that being here is helping my state of mind anymore.

• Hugs
Reactions: Soul, StuFin, 262653 and 1 other person
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
I feel a bit the same.
I came here looking for a quick/easy way out, but haven't found that, and therefore don't know what the use is in my being on this site anymore.
I don't find that being here is helping my state of mind anymore.

I think it is bad for me to spend so much time here to be perfectly honest, especially with all the ideological debates that have been going on recently. I appreciated your thoughts on the white privilege thread.

Reactions: Deleted member 19276, StuFin and esse_est_percipi
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
I think it is bad for me to spend so much time here to be perfectly honest, especially with all the ideological debates that have been going on recently. I appreciated your thoughts on the white privilege thread.
I feel the same.
I didn't really come here to debate culture/ideology/politics, but I sometimes just feel I have to say something if I see a thread about it and disagree with a point of view.
But then I worry that others may interpret what I say in the wrong way, then I worry more, feel worse, etc.

Reactions: _Minsk, Disappointered and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
I feel the same.
I didn't really come here to debate culture/ideology/politics, but I sometimes just feel I have to say something if I see a thread about it and disagree with a point of view.
But then I worry that others may interpret what I say in the wrong way, then I worry more, feel worse, etc.

Your points were valid and well made, no need to worry. There is something disgustingly self congratulatory in some of the posts some people made on that thread. This attitude: "I am privileged, but I am a better person than other whites because I acknowledge my privilege, and btw, dear POC's, please know that you have my support, I am so good to be willing to share a bit of my power with you by letting your voices be heard". Puke inducing rhetoric.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Fragile, StateOfMind and 4 others
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Your points were valid and well made, no need to worry. There is something disgustingly self congratulatory in some of the posts some people made on that thread. This attitude: "I am privileged, but I am a better person than other whites because I acknowledge my privilege, and btw, dear POC's, please know that you have my support, I am so good to be willing to share a bit of my power with you by letting your voices be heard". Puke inducing rhetoric.

I don't believe that this new zeitgeisty intersectional discourse, with hierarchies of oppression, talk of white supremacy, microaggressions, multicultural competency, cultural misappropriation etc, has been disseminated into the public consciousness as a real solution to real problems. It has been intentionally disseminated, by elites and those who control the real levers of power, to in fact create problems in the form of divisions, suspicions, antagonisms etc. I'm not saying that humans aren't shit and egotistical and selfish and racist. Many are, but that's just humans for the past 50,000 years, regardless of race, and in my opinion the bad aspects of human nature are amplified by a neoliberal economic system which forces the majority of people to become meaningless cogs in a machine.

The left these days act like children who have just discovered human nature and that the only solution to it is to put in all these measures, create an intersectional ideological grid to re-define the collective consciousness, regulate and monitor all interpersonal relations etc.

If there is enough division and strife in society, then that justifies draconian measures, more centralization of power, more control, more penalization for non-violent crimes (i.e. hate crimes and thought crimes, I mean, I'm obviously not pro-hate, but I also admit that I have hate within me, along with a range of other emotional modalities. Making 'hate' a crime is 1) dependent on a subjective interpretation of what constitutes hate in the form of overt behaviors and 2) equivalent to making illegal a whole facet of human nature, but I guess this is ok for the modern left as they deny human nature even exists, and that everyone is molded by only environmental factors).

This is all very reminiscent of the old soviet mechanisms of control and suppression of dissent.

However, maybe I'm missing something in all this, and my thinking is distorted by depression and cynicism.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, NeverGoodEnuff, Wayfaerer and 4 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
@mahakali88 @worried_to_death I'd be sad to either of you go, but if the site isn't working for you, for whatever reasons, then you should indeed put yourselves first. I hope you are both okay, whatever you decide.
People tend to come here for one reason alone :notsure: and some, like me, re-assess things with the help of a new perspective, that really only a place like this can give.
I personally stick around because it's the only place i can get the support I need. However, I'm also aware that it's easy to get dragged into behaviour that is not beneficial, but to stick around out of habit, so I think caution is also wise.
I enjoy reading both your posts and I'd miss you if you are gone, but you must of course do what is right for you.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: _Minsk, XYZ, Myforevercharlie and 4 others
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
sometimes just feel I have to say something if I see a thread about it and disagree with a point of view.
But then I worry that others may interpret what I say in the wrong way

Like...this maybe? :

There is something disgustingly self congratulatory in some of the posts some people made on that thread. This attitude: "I am privileged, but I am a better person than other whites because I acknowledge my privilege, and btw, dear POC's, please know that you have my support, I am so good to be willing to share a bit of my power with you by letting your voices be heard". Puke inducing rhetoric.

Don't worry, @worried_to_death, it's quite survivable. When you know your own self, your intentions, and the actual words you said, it doesn't really matter inside how others interpret them, and it's not painful when your words are misinterpreted or even twisted. Of course you can try again if your words are misinterpreted, and perhaps once again that will occur, but it doesn't change you, your motivations or intentions. And of course, you may not be heard that day, but it may still sink in later if it was of value.

My strong impression is that you like philosophers; here's what a few had to say about such dilemmas. Maybe something here will serve you, though you didn't say you were concerned about twisting or other such aggressions, in which case, only the first quote is applicable:

"Always remember that it is impossible to speak in such a way that you cannot be misunderstood: there will always be some who misunderstand you." (Karl Popper)

"Whenever someone does you a wrong or speaks ill of you, remember that he is doing what he thinks is proper. He can't possibly be guided by what appears right to you, but only what appears right to him. So if he sees things wrongly, he is the one who is hurt, because he is the one who has been deceived...Starting from this reasoning, you will be mild toward whoever insults you. Say each time, 'So it seemed to him.'" (Epictetus)

"When Archelaus, king of Macedonia, was walking along the street, someone dumped water on him. The king's attendants said that he should punish the man. 'Ah, but he did not dump the water on me,' the king replied, 'but on the man he thought I was.' When Socrates was told that people spoke ill of him, he said, 'Not at all. There is nothing in me of what they say.'" (Montaigne)

"These eight worldly conditions, monks, keep the world turning around, and the world turns around these eight worldly conditions. What eight? Gain and loss, fame and disrepute, praise and blame, pleasure and pain.

"These eight worldly conditions, monks, are encountered by an uninstructed worldling, and they are also encountered by an instructed noble disciple. What now is the distinction, the disparity, the difference between an instructed noble disciple and an uninstructed worldling?

"...[W]hen an instructed noble disciple comes upon gain, he reflects on it thus: 'This gain that has come to me is impermanent, bound up with suffering, subject to change.' And so he will reflect when loss and so forth come upon him. He understands all these things as they really are, and they do not engross his mind. Thus he will not be elated by gain and dejected by loss; elated by fame and dejected by disrepute; elated by praise and dejected by blame; elated by pleasure and dejected by pain. Having thus given up likes and dislikes, he will be freed from...sorrow, lamentation, pain, dejection, and despair; he will be freed from suffering, I say." (Siddhartha Gautama)

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk, StateOfMind, 262653 and 3 others
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
hey, hope you're doing well. sorry for the late response.

a name is crossed out by being banned. permanent bans (accumulation of 100 warning points), self-bans, or requesting a staff member to ban you will have your name crossed out.

you can use the ticket system and create a ticket asking to be unbanned if you do change your mind.

hope you find peace with whatever decision you choose to make.

take care.
If I self-ban can I easily un ban myself within 48 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.