DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
If you believe that electrons can be in superpositions of being in different locations which everyone who subscribes to quantum mechanics thinks that they can - then things that are made of protons and electrons like you and me and the rest of universe, we should be able to be in superpositions of being in different places, doing different things. Then you have the many worlds whether you like it or not. So all of the other theories have to do work to get rid of the other worlds. Many worlds does not come about by putting in extra worlds, they're there in QM. There are other theories, spontaneous collapse theories, hidden variable theories.

You can call them alternate or parallel universes but then you're not sure whether you're talking about cosmology or QM. In QM what we tend to use the words either worlds, they're separate worlds. Or we talk about branches of the wave function. It's so separate from us that philosophically it doesn't matter what the copies of you are doing. It's not a bad question to ask. You should behave in many worlds in the same way you should behave if you thought the universe really was just probabilistic. That it really was just a random chance that something happens but only one thing ever does happen. So as far as I know there are no moral and ethical implications. Because in a sense, in some sense it really doesn't exist. In a sense.

Even in many worlds, there are still laws of physics. And the laws of physics don't change over time. They're governed by some big overarching set of rules so it's not true for example that in many worlds everything happens. A certain set of things happen. Things that are compatible with the laws of physics. Like electrical charge is conserved in many worlds. You never see an electron turn into a proton in this theory. So it's not easy to solve things like fine-tuning that have to do with the parameters that are built into the laws of physics themselves. Those parameters don't change from branch to branch of the wave function in many worlds. In the simplest version. There might be complicated versions of marrying the cosmological multiverse to the many worlds QM which people have tried to do.

When you look at the wave function collapse of a particle, thats not really the whole story in this paradigm. It's something much bigger. The wave function of the entire universe. Hugh Everette who pioneered the many worlds interpretation referred to what he called the universal wave function and what we now call the wave function of the universe. It's the same thing. Every version of quantum mechanics believes there is something called the wave function of the universe. Where different versions of quantum mechanics differ is whether or not they think there is also something else in addition to the wave function and how the wave function evolves over time. Many worlds says there is nothing else and just says it always obeys the same Schrödinger equation no matter whats going on. Other theories say it evolves differently depending on whats happening. But it's a straightforward implication of that simple view in the many worlds interpretation that when you observe a quantum system, it's not that the wave function collapses. Its that you, the observer become entangled with the wave function of whatever you're looking at and it branches into different possibilities and in each one of these possible branches there's a whole world where there's some measurement outcome and thats what you saw.

But first, what actually causes the collapse of a wave function? What actually happens when a wave function collapses? You have to choose a rigorous formulation of quantum mechanics which Copenhagen is not, it doesn't answer that question. It just says trust us, you know it when you see it. Some in some other much more rigorous and well formulated theories of QM you can answer that question. For example, in many worlds, the answer is there is no such thing as collapse of wave function, they never collapse. So its simply an affect of something else, you have your own wave function and thats plays in. Ans the wave function of the universe branches into different parallel worlds that don't interact with each other. And you can tell precisely when that happens, when some macroscopic object becomes entangled in some microscopic one thats in a superposition with different possibilities.

In a many worlds interpretation, there would presumably be many you. This exact post is going taking place right now with just a slight difference somewhere. There's a radioactive particle that decays in the room in one interpretation that doesn't happen in the world. You can never interact with these other worlds. If I measure the spin of an electron and say I will turn left or right on my walk based on the findings of that measurement, then there will be two different worlds in which I went two different directions. Afterward they don't interact with each other, thats the whole reason it makes sense to call them different worlds. It's just a feature of quantum theory that once that interaction happens and the wave function branches, each branch of the wave function evolves forward all by itself independently.

Let's go back to classical reasoning. Within cosmology you also have this concept of multiverses, many universes. And the two seem to be similar. Is there any relation? It's 98% separate. What cosmologist mean when they talk about many universes, the cosmological multiverse, it's actually a pretty straightforward concept. All it means is that very, very far away from us in the universe, much further away than what we can observe, conditions might be radically different. The sense of particles and forces that we're familiar with could be different. Even the fact that space is three dimensional could be different elsewhere in space. But it's still really part of the same big universe. We call it a multiverse as colorful language and we have no idea whether it's true. Could be. Current state of the art, it's very hard to tell.
Whereas in QM the parallel universes of Everett's many worlds theory, they're not located anywhere. They're not out there a certain distance away. They literally are parallel and simultaneous existing to the universe that we're in and they're being formed all the time. Whenever a radioactive atom decays or doesn't, whenever a spin is observed. Literally all the time new worlds are coming into existence. This theory is much more likely to be true than the cosmological multiverse.

Carrol Sagan said, "the universe is what is, what was, and whatever will be." Is it a separate universe because it can't interact or is still part of the universe? Thats up to you. Our ordinary english language just wasn't designed to talk about these concepts. Clearly what we mean is that there is one quantum mechanical wave function that encompasses all of the worlds of the many worlds interpretation of QM. And further more branching of the wave function happens forward in time but not backwards, so there were fewer worlds in the past. So all the worlds that exist now, we believe came from a common beginning. There's many copies of you that are slightly different but they all came from a common ancestor version of you. But once they split, once they branch then they're separate and they can't talk to each other anymore. So on the one hand they're part of a common system, the wave function of the entire universe, on the other hand they're separate worlds in the sense that you can't interact with them or know whats going on in them. So whatever vocabulary you want to use to describe that situation…
Any human language is weak on description. Only mathematics, in reality equations give you precision. It's not impossible to come up with language that describes this correctly. It's just that we happen to invent it 500 years.

What is collapsing the wave function of the universe? That depends on your favorite interpretation of QM. In many worlds, wave functions never collapse. According to Hugh Everett in the 1950's as a graduate student, at the time he was trying to quantize gravity because they had made a lot of progress on electromagnetism and things like that so it was natural to turn to gravity. He was thinking about the quantum theory of the entire universe at once. He realized that the Copenhagen story where you have a small quantum system and a big macroscopic observer and the system acts quantum mechanically and the observer acts classically, the whole story doesn't hold up once your quantum system is the entire universe. There are no external observers poking at it. All that can happen is other parts of the universe can poke at other parts. So he called his theory the relative state formulation of quantum mechanics because whats happening in one part of the universe is relative to whats going on in other parts. So in many worlds, the wave function doesn't collapse. Parts of the universe come into contact with each other and become entangled. In classical interpretations you run into questions like what happens if no one is observing the universe. Einstein famously asked so you really think the moon is not there when nobody is looking at it because that seemed to be certain interpretations of the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics.
In many worlds, because there is no collapse of the wave function it's just an effect of the universe within itself interacting with itself so everything is always there. There's no fundamental role for observers or awareness or perception or measurements or anything like that. Those can be described within the theory as ordinary physical interactions. So essentially much of the spookiness is dispelled.
Einstein spent the last 30 years of his career chasing quantum gravity and not getting any further. And he was looking at things like spooky action at a distance and all this stuff saying, "god does not play dice with the universe." In the many worlds interpretation he doesn't and the price you pay is that you have a lot of worlds. The theory is well defined, crisp, austere, rigorous, and simple but the price is you have to accept that there are a very large number of worlds (we don't know how many, if its strictly speaking technically infinite or not). If you have a universe where one atom is out of place compared to another universe then you have a completely separate universe by the rules of quantum mechanics.

Reactions: noname223 and Forever Sleep
mlha

mlha

Ex falso quodlibet
Nov 7, 2021
If there's no Heisenberg cut, how come that I have never experienced a superposition of myself? I'd argue that when the world forks into many and I experience only one branch then the entities in other branches, which come from me before the forking, are no longer me.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
If there's no Heisenberg cut, how come that I have never experienced a superposition of myself? I'd argue that when the world forks into many and I experience only one branch then the entities in other branches, which come from me before the forking, are no longer me.
According to many worlds, each branch contains a version of you with a specific, consistent experience. From the perspective of any single observer, the identity they carry continues seamlessly in only one branch. Each version of you only has access to one branch.

I have my own pet omniverse-theory but this is at least the many worlds explanation.

mlha

mlha

Ex falso quodlibet
Nov 7, 2021
What you call a version of me, I call a different entity. If I can't experience other branches simultaneously with my branch then they simply can't be me. I'm the experience.

Reactions: BoulderSoWhat
daley

daley

Student
May 11, 2024
I listen to popular science communicators like Sean Carroll, so I have some sense of what @DarkRange55 is talking about, though actually I don't know physics at all.

But the post, and in particular the many worlds interpretation, makes me ponder these other "me" in other worlds which have forked from a common ancestor.

Lets assume for now that this many worlds interpretation is the way things really are.

For one it makes me sad. Now instead of just one miserable me, there are countless others, forking and multiplying each and every second. Consider the horror of
ever growing heaps of twisted and pointless pondering me's.

On the other hand I think about the choices I made in my life. It could be that each decision I have made and regretted has actually been done differently by a different fork of mine. So there is nothing to regret. Although I can only experience the results of the choices I made in my branch, the branch itself might have been unavoidable. This takes away some of the
responsibility for my choices.

It's dizzying and nauseating.

BoulderSoWhat

BoulderSoWhat

Student
Aug 29, 2024
Right now I'm not enjoying a donut. If there's a version of me out there, somewhere, in the omni-meta-multiverse, branch-fork ID#: 90884777222331076695414561627278651000471827466454886555636990287296060529502974531046116616626459994, that mother fucker better be enjoying that donut right now.

Speaking of...

🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩

All hail the mind fuckery that is whatever Existence is, so that some fortunate ones among us may enjoy donuts in the present moment, at the cost of the rest of us not enjoying donuts in the present moment.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Wow. Too complex for me to get my head around to be honest.

So- clones of us basically? But, they can't all be living duplicate lives- surely? My Mum for instance miscarried before she had me. Let's say in this other world, the pregnancy is successful- that isn't me though- that's a different sperm and egg that got together. She died when I was 3. If she dies in that other world too then- I don't exist there. Yippee!

Is there actual evidence that duplicate groups of atoms exist elsewhere? But- it's the same deal- surely? They may be the same in terms of components but, they'll be living different lives. Maybe me on another planet has children. You surely only need to have a few tweaks in someone's life and you get a totally different outcome. What if our parents had children with someone else on these other planets? Those children wouldn't be us if they have different genetics. Or, are atoms nothing to do with genetics? Sorry, I'm probably too stupid for this thread!

daley

daley

Student
May 11, 2024
Yeah. But I don't think anybody understands this really. So at least we are in good company.

So- clones of us basically? But, they can't all be living duplicate lives- surely? My Mum for instance miscarried before she had me. Let's say in this other world, the pregnancy is successful- that isn't me though- that's a different sperm and egg that got together. She died when I was 3. If she dies in that other world too then- I don't exist there. Yippee!

I guess there are more worlds where we don't exist than those where we do.

Is there actual evidence that duplicate groups of atoms exist elsewhere?

From my weak understanding, there is no evidence. It is not obvious there will ever be.
There is just equations and math, which seem to hold in our world, and then there is a question of how to interpret them.

But- it's the same deal- surely? They may be the same in terms of components but, they'll be living different lives. Maybe me on another planet has children. You surely only need to have a few tweaks in someone's life and you get a totally different outcome. What if our parents had children with someone else on these other planets? Those children wouldn't be us if they have different genetics.

I've had those thoughts as well. The children would have different genetics. I would still feel sorry for the existence though.

Or, are atoms nothing to do with genetics? Sorry, I'm probably too stupid for this thread!

Well, the way I understand it, genetics is dictated by DNA, which is a large molecule. Molecules are made of atoms.
So atoms would definitely have something to do with genetics.

• Informative
Reactions: Forever Sleep
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
What you call a version of me, I call a different entity. If I can't experience other branches simultaneously with my branch then they simply can't be me. I'm the experience.
Agreed.

Is there actual evidence that duplicate groups of atoms exist elsewhere? But- it's the same deal- surely? They may be the same in terms of components but, they'll be living different lives. Maybe me on another planet has children. You surely only need to have a few tweaks in someone's life and you get a totally different outcome. What if our parents had children with someone else on these other planets? Those children wouldn't be us if they have different genetics. Or, are atoms nothing to do with genetics? Sorry, I'm probably too stupid for this thread!
Yeah. But I don't think anybody understands this really. So at least we are in good company.

I guess there are more worlds where we don't exist than those where we do.

From my weak understanding, there is no evidence. It is not obvious there will ever be.
There is just equations and math, which seem to hold in our world, and then there is a question of how to interpret them.

I've had those thoughts as well. The children would have different genetics. I would still feel sorry for the existence though.

Well, the way I understand it, genetics is dictated by DNA, which is a large molecule. Molecules are made of atoms.
So atoms would definitely have something to do with genetics.
Is there actual evidence that duplicate groups of atoms exist elsewhere?

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
If there's no Heisenberg cut, how come that I have never experienced a superposition of myself?
Why do you think that you haven't?
I'd argue that when the world forks into many
The forks are already there.
and I experience only one branch then the entities in other branches, which come from me before the forking, are no longer me.
At that point they are usually closer to you than the "you" of yesterday or tomorrow.

H

Hvergelmir

Student
May 5, 2024
I subscribe to quantum mechanics as a pretty good model to describe some very strange phenomena. I do not subscribe to quantum mechanic as an objective truth.

I have not seen any convincing argument for the many worlds interpretations being based in reality. (I guess that's why they're frequently referred to as hypotheses.)
Just because the most accurate mathematical model to date allows for something does not mean that it's true. As long as there's no way to test the hypothesis or interact with the predictions from it (the other worlds), I think of it as nothing more than a theoretical oddity.

I don't require definitive proof to consider it probable ("to believe"), but in this case I've never seen any real indication, at all.
I'm not a quantum researcher, though. Am I missing something important?

Downdraft

Downdraft

I've felt better ngl
Feb 6, 2024
I've never seen any real indication, at all.
Agreed.

The whole thing it's just confusing that because something "can" happen, it's actually happening.

This hypothesis received criticism before (last time I checked barely half of scientist of QM subscribed to it) so the agreement it's far from universal.

Also many people who subscribes to it think not as much as they always being in two places, but in their position not being determined at all. All can be explained with all of it being in the same branch without any splitting required.

There also was pointed macroscopic entities like you and me would collapse quantum states instantly which is also why the properties of large vs atomic scale are very different and iirc QM had to be created out of necessity due to classical laws no longer being able to explain it. QM can't reliably explain the large events either and compatibizing both worlds was a pain in the ass for the scientific community.

It's like Schrödinger's cat again. This said I do like some theory-crafting, but IMO it's too soon yet for this discussions. I don't think we'll be around when we can say which model ia true but I'd be cool.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
E.g. I haven't seen the world from two or more perspectives simultaneously.

I agree that they are closer, but they will not be me if I don't experience the world through them.
- E.g. I haven't seen the world from two or more perspectives simultaneously.
But until the resolution of the superposition, the "two or more perspectives" are the same perspective.

At that point they are usually closer to you than the "you" of yesterday or tomorrow.
- I agree that they are closer, but they will not be me if I don't experience the world through them.
I "see" the continuum of realities clearly enough that although I don't experience the alternatives, I recognize that as a limitation of my consciousness, so I don't hold that against them. The closer that they are to the current me, the more I treat them as part of me.
I subscribe to quantum mechanics as a pretty good model to describe some very strange phenomena. I do not subscribe to quantum mechanic as an objective truth.

I have not seen any convincing argument for the many worlds interpretations being based in reality. (I guess that's why they're frequently referred to as hypotheses.)
Just because the most accurate mathematical model to date allows for something does not mean that it's true. As long as there's no way to test the hypothesis or interact with the predictions from it (the other worlds), I think of it as nothing more than a theoretical oddity.

I don't require definitive proof to consider it probable ("to believe"), but in this case I've never seen any real indication, at all.

I have not seen any convincing argument for the many worlds interpretations being based in reality.
I have not seen a convincing argument for any interpretation. I favor my "blobk omniverse" because it is the simplest and I find gives the most intuitive explanations, but until there's a way to test the interpretations it is all a matter of what works for you.

(I guess that's why they're frequently referred to as hypotheses.)
I am not a fan of the "every observation clones the universe" many-worlds interpretation - I find it the most tail-wagging-the-dog of all the interpretations I have seen.
It is even worse than the "every observation collapses a wave function with effects that can span the universe" interpretation.
But no interpretation is currently more than a theoretical oddity.
Agreed.

The whole thing it's just confusing that because something "can" happen, it's actually happening.

This hypothesis received criticism before (last time I checked barely half of scientist of QM subscribed to it) so the agreement it's far from universal.

Also many people who subscribes to it think not as much as they always being in two places, but in their position not being determined at all. All can be explained with all of it being in the same branch without any splitting required.

There also was pointed macroscopic entities like you and me would collapse quantum states instantly which is also why the properties of large vs atomic scale are very different and iirc QM had to be created out of necessity due to classical laws no longer being able to explain it. QM can't reliably explain the large events either and compatibizing both worlds was a pain in the ass for the scientific community.

It's like Schrödinger's cat again. This said I do like some theory-crafting, but IMO it's too soon yet for this discussions. I don't think we'll be around when we can say which model ia true but I'd be cool.
But we have direct evidence at least that many things that can happen do happen. If not everything happens, you add the questions of "why some things and not others?", and then "which things do happen" and then "why these things". "Everything that can happen happens" is the simplest of the many solutions that match our current knowledge and evidence.
To explain it in the same branch, entanglement says that you must give up locality or determinacy or the speed of light. AFIK, accepting multiple branches is the only other option, and I find accepting something that I can't see (that can also explain several other 'mysteries', e.g., fine tuning) to be easier than rejecting determinism, locality, or the speed of light.
All that becomes obvious in the block omniverse.
Mathematically the interpretations seem to make the same predictions so we might never know.
The block omniverse is the simplest, and it doesn't require the-tail-wagging-the-dog 'nonsense'.

Downdraft

Downdraft

I've felt better ngl
Feb 6, 2024
@DarkRange55 my honest opinion is that we were born too soon. I think science to be the best at explaining the world because it need empirical evidence, so people can subscribe to only true model instead of philosophy, where people can believe many things with little consensus.

Unfortunately because there's no evidence of any model that part is missing. It's about what interpretation we are more comfortable with: science wasn't meant to be subjective.

I don't think all needs to happen. Sometimes things don't happen because it's just physically possible and that's OK. I think it's too simple to overthink it, like a self-explanatory concept. I guess we can ask as much why everything needs to happen as much as why not, but it's my opinion.

mlha

mlha

Ex falso quodlibet
Nov 7, 2021
But until the resolution of the superposition, the "two or more perspectives" are the same perspective.
Yes, but before the resolution of a superpostion, I should be able to tell that I'm superimposed from my perspective.
I "see" the continuum of realities clearly enough that although I don't experience the alternatives, I recognize that as a limitation of my consciousness,
Aha, do you ascribe not being able to experience a superposition to the limitation of your consciousness as well?

Because that's where we probably disagree, I think that a consciousness should be able to experience superpositions.

N

noname223

Archangel
Aug 18, 2020
Your content is amazing. Most fascinating posts in this forum. Keep going I love quantum mechanics but I am too stupid to understand it.