TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
A long time ago, I had a thread on the TTG subreddit (before I discovered and joined the SS forum on here). I had a realization and arrived at this conclusion that ultimately, at least on the macro scale of things, both psychiatry and religion are two sides of the same coin. Allow me to explain.

Back in the days where the church (along with the monarchy) had vast amounts of influence and power (before modern governments became powerful), it dictated how people lived. It's purpose was to indoctrinate and control the masses for society to function. Basically, it was the ruling class and before psychiatry gained enough traction and/or became powerful (even as a pseudo-science), it was religion that was controlling social norms, laws, and what could or couldn't be done. Then after religion weakened over the centuries along with the monarchy (kings, queens, those of royal blood, the ruling class and elites), it was the people. The people decided to create the government and then as religion's influence on society waned, psychiatry gained more power and became an authority on social norms and what not. Psychiatry (as a pseudo-science) itself became a tool that the state use to oppress and control the masses (keep them in line).

So instead of religion dictating what people can and can't do, the government (along with it's tool of control - psychiatry) dictates what people can and can't do. If an individual violates what is considered irrational (based on psychiatry and what the current society deems to be irrational), then the individual is given prisoner treatment and other civil, social consequences. Therefore, in a sense, both psychiatry and religion are instruments of control of masses by the state and those in power.

Also the comment posted by u/Grieving_wife (quoted below) sums up my sentiments pretty well:
Agreed! Psychology today is no different from Religion in the middle ages - except instead of death as a result of being the 'devil's servant' (ie a witch) today's punishment is a lengthy and unspecified 'jail' time in a psychiatric ward and a negative entry on one's 'record' which virtually guarantees non-employment for the rest of one's life.
in today's world, that is more or less the equivalent to a death sentence.
A death sentence because we don't 'believe' what the populist view states, ie "life is always good" and "death is always bad". What exactly distinguishes that from the Crusades?
Long and short of it is that whatever the mechanism, the Governments of the time will seek to control the populace.

Reactions: Final Escape, silent staring void and noaccount