L

LabRat

Sep 14, 2020
Given that most, if not all, of us are suffering from some form of clinical mental illness (aka life), I was wondering what medication(s) you all have been on and whether you have had any lasting negative side effects as a result?

I took:
- Fluoxetine
- Mirtazapine
-Trazodone
- Benzodiazepines
- Gabapentin
- Hydroxyzine
- Buspirone

Fluoxetine was the first drug I took - the one which left me with the following lasting issues: dead libido, genital numbness, reduced capacity for emotion, head pressure, severely reduced threshold to stress.

The other drugs were then used to treat the issues fluoxetine/prozac caused, but sadly they only left me with more issues.

I thought life was pretty bad before, but the iatrogenic damage I have sustained from these drugs has left me in the darkest place imaginable. No one knows how to fix the issues these drugs created. All psychiatrists want to do is try more drugs (especially my favorites - SSRIs!) to treat the existing issues. Genius idea.

These health issues have effectively sidelined me, causing me to lose the former half of my 20s. I don't know if there's a light at the end of the tunnel anymore.

Has anyone else experienced any similar issues?

• Hugs
  • Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, Sweet Release, Worthless_nobody and 1 other person
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
I have yet to try an drug

W

Worthless_nobody

Enlightened
Feb 14, 2019
-Zoloft (ssri) left me with permanent anhedonia and sexual side effects (PSSD)

-Seroquel had a bad side effect of not being able to breathe weight on chest feeling

- gabapentin was helping a bit but I get this weird jaw clenching side effect

-benzos...yes it has helped but the tolerance and withdrawal sucks!

Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
I know by brand names. I think I remember everything. Nothing long lasting as far as side effects for me, but you'll see below that I haven't taken stuff for too long.

Lexapro 6 months
Celexa 4 months
Paxil 2 months
Lamictal took six minths times (2x)
Wellbutrin 4 months
Prozac 4 months
Latuda 1 month...
Seroquel 1 month
Lithium 2 months
Gabapentin 4 days
Inderall
Trazodone
Restoril
Zyprexa as needed for 4 years. The only psych med in my current repertoire. Take it PRN typically need it around three times per year.

Reactions: Final Escape
Sweet Release

Sweet Release

Experienced
Nov 24, 2019
The psychiatric drugs that I was forced to take destroyed years of my life.

Reactions: Skathon and Final Escape
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Yes I've been harmed by psych drugs. At one time I was on like 5 different ones. They blunt emotion which is actually not good because your emotions help u navigate away from things that are bad for u or to move u to things that are good for u. If u are numbed out, u are vulnerable to staying in situations that may not be good for u because u aren't able to listen to your intuition and feel your feelings. It is not a negative thing to experience grief, sadness, despair. These emotions are trying to tell u or teach u to avoid something or they are a necessary part of life. When we lose something or someone it's natural to go through grief and experience despair sometimes for quite awhile. When u are in a bad job or environment it's not just in your head. You are legit miserable and your emotions and symptoms are trying to tell u this is not working for u. On zyprexa I gained a bunch of weight and felt disgusting. I didn't put it together it was the medication that was making me overeat. Thankfully I stopped because a friend suggested a different medication but at the time neither of us knew that some of these meds are bad for u. I changed to Prozac and the weight dropped immediately. However I did come off that as well once I learned more about psych drugs. I do think adderall was responsible for increased impulsivity, hypersexuality, and reckless behavior in my 20's. It also dulls emotions and conscience. You feel this detachment from yourself and I would say u are more psychopathic even if u are not a psychopath u will behave more like one if u use adderall regularly. The scariest one I tried was Rexulti. It made me actively suicidal within two weeks. I was trying to find things to strangle myself with. I stopped the med because it felt out of character for me to be trying to strangle myself. The active suicide ideation stopped after I quit taking it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweet Release and Chupacabra 44
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
Yes I've been harmed by psych drugs. At one time I was on like 5 different ones. They blunt emotion which is actually not good because your emotions help u navigate away from things that are bad for u or to move u to things that are good for u. If u are numbed out, u are vulnerable to staying in situations that may not be good for u because u aren't able to listen to your intuition and feel your feelings. It is not a negative thing to experience grief, sadness, despair. These emotions are trying to tell u or teach u to avoid something or they are a necessary part of life. When we lose something or someone it's natural to go through grief and experience despair sometimes for quite awhile. When u are in a bad job or environment it's not just in your head. You are legit miserable and your emotions and symptoms are trying to tell u this is not working for u. On zyprexa I gained a bunch of weight and felt disgusting. I didn't put it together it was the medication that was making me overeat. Thankfully I stopped because a friend suggested a different medication but at the time neither of us knew that some of these meds are bad for u. I changed to Prozac and the weight dropped immediately. However I did come off that as well once I learned more about psych drugs. I do think adderall was responsible for increased impulsivity, hypersexuality, and reckless behavior in my 20's. It also dulls emotions and conscience. You feel this detachment from yourself and I would say u are more psychopathic even if u are not a psychopath u will behave more like one if u use adderall regularly. The scariest one I tried was Rexulti. It made me actively suicidal within two weeks. I was trying to find things to strangle myself with. I stopped the med because it felt out of character for me to be trying to strangle myself. The active suicide ideation stopped after I quit taking it.

I read some professional opinions that claimed Zyprexa is the most toxic pharmaceutical on the market with respect to its adverse side effects. I seem to remember it is one of the worst, if not the worst medication for metabolic syndrome as a side effect.

It's so frustrating that they really can't get these medications dialed in better, so that they're helpful while not at the same time being terribly toxic. But we could go through the ills of big pharma for days and not address every aspect of this industry's failings.

killedbypsychiatry

killedbypsychiatry

drugging kids is abuse
Jan 27, 2021
I was also harmed by psychiatric drugs I was forced to take at 13 for no apparent reason, I loved life before psychiatry, psychiatry and therapist literally ruined my life.

• Love
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra