Avicii

Avicii

Looking
Sep 4, 2018
Does anyone have any experience (UK only) of being admitted to a psyche is it a crazy place full of crazy people??? Im not crazy but have a mental condition that cant be treated and like celebs check into the Priory I feel I need to check into somewhere safe as (and I know this is a pro suicide site) I want to be warded off my suicidal feelings but I dont want to take any meds just be in a sanctuary of safety

@Lara Francis you were admitted recently can you say how you found it would you go back voluntary ?

Last edited:
Reactions: lv-gras and Tiburcio
Bilbobaggins

Bilbobaggins

In a hole
Aug 30, 2018
I've been in The Priory for 6 weeks, not privately but as a NHS patient. The private wards are very safe, just a load of people trying to get clean off drugs and booze. The state-funded part I was in was relatively safe. Some very disturbed and unpleasant people and very claustrophobic until you get grounds privileges. You do get your own room that you can lock but of course the nurses have keys.

Reactions: lv-gras and Tiburcio
Avicii

Avicii

Looking
Sep 4, 2018
I've been in The Priory for 6 weeks, not privately but as a NHS patient. The private wards are very safe, just a load of people trying to get clean off drugs and booze. The state-funded part I was in was relatively safe. Some very disturbed and unpleasant people and very claustrophobic until you get grounds privileges. You do get your own room that you can lock but of course the nurses have keys.
Lucky man getting to go Priory !! I don't thibk I'd be that lucky !! Yes figuring that that I'm going for my own safety but would be locked up with right unsteady people

S

St.Jimmy

Aug 31, 2018
I was admitted last year (UK and through the NHS) I can honestly say the place wasn't fit for animals , the staff for the most part where in my opinion on some kind of ego trip ,I think it made them feel better about themselves being about to talk to the patients like shit or better still ignoring them , I guess places differ but where I was there was no therapy or groups of any kind so nothing to do all day except pace the corridors .in desperation one day I attempted to do a jigsaw to pass the time only to find on the box it said 200 prices missing ,if you weren't suicidal when you went in you were when you came out !

I'd give it 0 stars on trip advisor if I could

Reactions: Jaded, akosineenee and lv-gras
L

Ln42

Ihm/iai
Jun 13, 2018
I think it depends on the ward. My first stay was awful my last stay in a different hospital was not so bad but they checked on me every 10 minutes, they could see you in the toilet and shower, everywhere. There were some really unwell people there who made sleep impossible. I don't think they offer therapy as in 1-2-1 but there was group's like art and stuff but it depended what privileges you had as to what you could do.
If you think you want to be warded off your suicidal feelings then give anything a shot, I am not sure how it works and if you can ask to be admitted but it sounds to me like you need a break.
Feel free to message me if you just want a chat.

Reactions: lv-gras
L

Ln42

Ihm/iai
Jun 13, 2018
I think it is a postcode lottery as my first stay sounded like St.Jimmy's!

Reactions: St.Jimmy
Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Hi.
I would go back voluntary if I could not keep myself safe - I would have to be very desperate though.
When you are very suicidal, it is a safe place to be and I kept myself to myself.
I had my own room which i could lock from my side (but staff could also open from the outside ).The ward was divided into male and female area , both with single sex TV areas then there was the communial area where food was served and other TV along with tea and coffee making facilities.
The staff were largely friendly and did their best to help.Their were activities to do - the usual arts and crafts and exercise and a meditation class.There were some patients with psychosis and as time went on they became annoying and unpredictable.I was monitored every hour , day and night and had to prove I felt safe before I finally got leave.i self harmed whilst in there so that got me other week!
The food was rubish - I don't think it is a great place to aid recovery but for me - it is the only place I feel safe ( even now) so in a small way it does force your mind to stop thinking of suicide as it's impossible.
I had agreed to take antidepressants which you had to take in front of nurses to ensure compliance.Don't be fooled by them saying you can come and go as you want though as a voluntary patient because if they think you are not safe they will refuse you and tell you that you will be sectioned if you try. (Had that a few times)
I hope this helps. I am also in the UK.

Reactions: Damn, akosineenee, No Future and 1 other person
Avicii

Avicii

Looking
Sep 4, 2018
Hi.
I would go back voluntary if I could not keep myself safe - I would have to be very desperate though.
When you are very suicidal, it is a safe place to be and I kept myself to myself.
I had my own room which i could lock from my side (but staff could also open from the outside ).The ward was divided into male and female area , both with single sex TV areas then there was the communial area where food was served and other TV along with tea and coffee making facilities.
The staff were largely friendly and did their best to help.Their were activities to do - the usual arts and crafts and exercise and a meditation class.There were some patients with psychosis and as time went on they became annoying and unpredictable.I was monitored every hour , day and night and had to prove I felt safe before I finally got leave.i self harmed whilst in there so that got me other week!
The food was rubish - I don't think it is a great place to aid recovery but for me - it is the only place I feel safe ( even now) so in a small way it does force your mind to stop thinking of suicide as it's impossible.
I had agreed to take antidepressants which you had to take in front of nurses to ensure compliance.Don't be fooled by them saying you can come and go as you want though as a voluntary patient because if they think you are not safe they will refuse you and tell you that you will be sectioned if you try. (Had that a few times)
I hope this helps. I am also in the UK.
was yours a speciality hospital or the main general hospital

have looked at the priory could afford a few nights there if it was just £400 a pop
nope googled cost and this was from the guardian website 2007 -Private patients pay around £3,640 a week - think ill give private a miss

Last edited:
Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
was yours a speciality hospital or the main general hospital

have looked at the priory could afford a few nights there if it was just £400 a pop
nope googled cost and this was from the guardian website 2007 -Private patients pay around £3,640 a week - think ill give private a miss
Wow that's expensive - I was just on the psy ward of my general hospital.

Avicii

Avicii

Looking
Sep 4, 2018
Wow that's expensive - I was just on the psy ward of my general hospital.
Would you free seriously reading yourself ?? I've looked at going in vol but for my condition they can't treat I'd only be going in as ti take pressure off my mum she's crying about me everyday but they can't treat my condition it's untreatable but it's classed as a mental condition

Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Would you free seriously reading yourself ?? I've looked at going in vol but for my condition they can't treat I'd only be going in as ti take pressure off my mum she's crying about me everyday but they can't treat my condition it's untreatable but it's classed as a mental condition
There was a few people on the ward for respite care giving there carers a break.
One man had suffered a stoke ( you could not tell) but his wife was unable to cope with his personality full time.other gentleman took drugs on then jumped of a high raise making himself disabled so his mum could not cope all the time at home and needed a break.
Being admitted onto a ward is seen as their last resort and can actually be quite difficult I am told.I can't say I've ever struggled so must be a real fruitcake!
If you go to the hospital and say you feel sucicidal and have plans which you will carry out if you are not admitted, that's a sure way to get in as they are responsible for you once you walk into a&e .

M

medusa

Student
Sep 1, 2018
The site is actually pro choice and not pro suicide...and if you need help, you should definitely go. You are going voluntarily. What's the worst that can happen, wasting a few days? You can leave at any time, right

Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
The site is actually pro choice and not pro suicide...and if you need help, you should definitely go. You are going voluntarily. What's the worst that can happen, wasting a few days? You can leave at any time, right
Wrong ! Thats what i thought and what they tell you.Even as a voluntary patient. You cannot leave if you are considered a danger to yourself.The 2 wards I've been on are double locked and unless you are let out ,you are staying.!

Damn

Damn

Manic - depression
Aug 27, 2018
Does anyone have any experience (UK only) of being admitted to a psyche is it a crazy place full of crazy people??? Im not crazy but have a mental condition that cant be treated and like celebs check into the Priory I feel I need to check into somewhere safe as (and I know this is a pro suicide site) I want to be warded off my suicidal feelings but I dont want to take any meds just be in a sanctuary of safety

@Lara Francis you were admitted recently can you say how you found it would you go back voluntary ?
Hey
I think It would be a safe place if you can't trust yourself & a lot of people do pass through and don't stay for ages, only the really psychopathic people are there for time, but I'm guessing not a good night sleep :/ but you would not be the only person who would be in for the same reason (although I can't imagine it being a very sociable place), never been myself, info is from a family member who worked in one in UK.
Best of luck dude x

Avicii

Avicii

Looking
Sep 4, 2018
Wrong ! Thats what i thought and what they tell you.Even as a voluntary patient. You cannot leave if you are considered a danger to yourself.The 2 wards I've been on are double locked and unless you are let out ,you are staying.!
Laura do you mind saying what tablets you were on there did they force you to take assume you were sectioned ??

Avicii

Avicii

Looking
Sep 4, 2018
Did they make you take drugs ??

Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Laura do you mind saying what tablets you were on there did they force you to take assume you were sectioned ??
When I attempted suicide I was under a 136 emergency section from the police.
I talked my way out of that one to attempt again and it was then that I agreed to stay because I knew I was in trouble.
As my boy had been already removed into care and I had social services applying pressure to be medicated I agreed to take sertaline 100mg once a day (antidepressant)
They cannot force you to take Meds unless you are under a section (in which case they do) but I guess your stay may be longer and voluntary admission can turn into a section if you are unwell enough.

Reactions: Damn and Morning Angel
Avicii

Avicii

Looking
Sep 4, 2018
When I attempted suicide I was under a 136 emergency section from the police.
I talked my way out of that one to attempt again and it was then that I agreed to stay because I knew I was in trouble.
As my boy had been already removed into care and I had social services applying pressure to be medicated I agreed to take sertaline 100mg once a day (antidepressant)
They cannot force you to take Meds unless you are under a section (in which case they do) but I guess your stay may be longer and voluntary admission can turn into a section if you are unwell enough.
Wow 100mg of anti depressantt ?? Guess your still taking it - I'm on 30mg anti depressant doing fuck all for me

Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Wow 100mg of anti depressantt ?? Guess your still taking it - I'm on 30mg anti depressant doing fuck all for me
I know I would be dead without it.200mg is the max dose.I did start on 50mg but it was not enough.I don't know how Long you have been on antidepressants but they take a while to work.
Realised after several episodes of refused treatment that I have to take them for now at least

Avicii

Avicii

Looking
Sep 4, 2018
I know I would be dead without it.200mg is the max dose.I did start on 50mg but it was not enough.I don't know how Long you have been on antidepressants but they take a while to work.
Realised after several episodes of refused treatment that I have to take them for now at least
That scares me about going in vol and being forced to go into it as a proper section - I have my reasons for not wanting any new drugs pumped into me mainly the effect they have on me !! What kind of food was served up I know it's prob not the most important question !!!

Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
I agreed before going on the ward what I would take and asked if they would make me take anything else,which they said no as I was voluntary.I did have a incident with self harm where they wanted to give me a tablet to calm me down but I said no and they didn't force me.
The food was not great but I am vegetarian and probably a bit fussy tbh.
A lot of patients are voluntary and have greater freedom and choices.sectioning is a last resort and they won't do that if you want to admit yourself and work with them.if you admit to being massively sucicidal then are derminded to leave then an emergency section would enable them to keep you.
I don't want to scare you but it's better that you have the information on how the system works.

Avicii

Avicii

Looking
Sep 4, 2018
I agreed before going on the ward what I would take and asked if they would make me take anything else,which they said no as I was voluntary.I did have a incident with self harm where they wanted to give me a tablet to calm me down but I said no and they didn't force me.
The food was not great but I am vegetarian and probably a bit fussy tbh.
A lot of patients are voluntary and have greater freedom and choices.sectioning is a last resort and they won't do that if you want to admit yourself and work with them.if you admit to being massively sucicidal then are derminded to leave then an emergency section would enable them to keep you.
I don't want to scare you but it's better that you have the information on how the system works.
thanks Laura very helpful