charlottewilts

charlottewilts

read Dostoyevsky
Jun 15, 2019
i was sectioned in the UK in a ward. i was supposed to spend 6 months there but thankfully i managed to get out after a month thanks to a tribunal.

during the time i was there, i saw a "doctor" once a week. there were always nurses around, but the only thing they were doing was making sure none of us were hurting ourselves or each other. and also that we weren't smoking!!! i would always hide my cigarettes and lighter in my underwear so they couldn't take them away, screw them. but if any of us were crying or shaking or just obviously really unwell, they didn't do anything.

when i was committed in an all-female ward, i met some really wonderful ladies. i was really scared initially because i thought they were all out to bite my head off, but that's just movie stuff. in reality, the patients in a ward are some of the most normal people you will ever meet.

i met this girl, i'll call her Beatrice. she struggled with paranoid thoughts. the nurses would flippantly address these and then leave her. i felt so bad for her, especially since she came there voluntarily. nobody deserves this kind of treatment. i tried to help her as much as i could but i am not trained for that kind of thing so it didn't work all the time, but overall i think i made a difference. i remember when she was released and came for a checkup and she was so happy to see me. i was so happy to see her doing better too, outside of that horrible place.

i remember hugging her to help her calm down once. it made me feel better too, but it also made me sick to my stomach that the nurses were doing nothing and that the patients were left on their own. we had to care for each other. she left three days after i came in but after that i made sure that every new patient who came in was doing okay. just before i left there were a few new girls who came in, i wish i could've done more for them.

i don't know what the point of this post was. i guess it's part venting and part exposing psych wards for how awful they are.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: LonelyHopelessDude, Science Is Scary, SinisterKid and 1 other person
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
Thanks for sharing. Whenever I would go to the psych ward, I would always make friends by the end of my stay

• Love
Reactions: charlottewilts