D

delayedcactus

Nov 27, 2023
Can someone please familiarize me with the process of staying in a psych ward in Canada after attempted suicide? How long do you get put in there typically? Who do they contact if your parents are in another country? Can you decide who they notify about your situation? What happens with work? I'm assuming you can take medical leave. Do your employers get notified of the reason you're on medical leave?

Reactions: mxrthas
leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
I went to the emerge once for being suicidal and it wasnt fun. They took away my phone. Couldnt shower and was in a bare room with extremly hard bed. Wasnt even a real bed. Luckily stayed there only for 24 hours.

• Hugs
Reactions: delayedcactus, pole and mxrthas
mxrthas

mxrthas

Sep 13, 2023
Hey i'll try to help you with the best of my knowledge, you're not alone. :)

I wasn't admitted due to a suicide attempt. I went in because of delusions, which I would describe as somewhat psychotic, but I'll do my best to give you an insight. Instead of publicly naming the province where I live (i dont mind in private), I voluntarily went to the hospital in my city after several recommendations from my psychiatrist and my current girlfriend.

I believe each experience is unique, depending on the circumstances upon arrival and the progress during evaluations.
Upon arrival, they welcomed me in a waiting room wearing a blue hospital gown for about 45 minutes, then transferred me to the psychiatric floor. All patients are required to wear this gown for some time to ensure that all external clothing is clean and safe. We weren't allowed our cell phones, but there was a television that I didn't dare to control, respecting those who had the monopoly on it. We also had access to electronic devices without a microphone and camera, so I could bring a MP3 player and my DS.
The days felt long, a bit like waiting for judgment in court, although some patients described this period as the only break they've had in years. Professionals met with me more frequently in the first few days to ensure my condition was stabilizing, particularly if you are there after a suicide attempt. As the meetings became less frequent, that's when I found it to be quite prolonged. I had to learn to manage my emotions because, even though I thought I was getting better, they weren't entirely convinced. Keeping it together was crucial, and I found the strength to do so.

As I mentioned earlier, each of my hospitalizations was voluntary, so I can't guarantee whom the paramedics, psychiatrists, nurses, etc., will contact. Despite my diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder and my experiences with paranoia, they always respected professional confidentiality and me (to a certain extent). If you share your concerns with them, in addition to your emotional state, they will be understanding. I've received medical certificates that didn't specify "psychosis" or "paranoia" but rather something like "Mr. needs time to regain his mental balance, etc."

• Hugs
Reactions: delayedcactus and pole
D

delayedcactus

Nov 27, 2023
Would appreciate info from folks who have been involuntarily admitted.

MeaningDork

MeaningDork

If there's a will, there's a way.
Jan 14, 2024
Can someone please familiarize me with the process of staying in a psych ward in Canada after attempted suicide? How long do you get put in there typically? Who do they contact if your parents are in another country? Can you decide who they notify about your situation? What happens with work? I'm assuming you can take medical leave. Do your employers get notified of the reason you're on medical leave?
I've been to a psych ward (or rehab center as they call it in Quebec) without consent four times. I'm not going to make a judgement on it I'm just going to neutrally describe my experience. If you are suicidal they will take away all of your items, put you in this anti-suicide garb and keep you on suicide watch until you show no signs of suicide for at least 3-5 days. Once you're past that you will be allowed to wear your own clothes but you will have to ask them since they keep all of your possessions even your phones. Usually you cannot use your phones in pysch wards either. The routine is simple, wake up, have breakfast, shower, recreation time (or meds depending on when you have to take them) lunch, free time, dinner, chores, free time, sleep. There can be variables depending on your program. There's usually a meeting with all patients once a week but you can usually only attend if you're not on suicide watch. What you have for free time is determined on your condition but assuming you're past suicide watch it's reading, TV, writing, or drawing. You can make calls so if you need to contact family or work it's possible. They usually inform family of where you're at though. To my knowledge they don't outright tell non-emergenct contacts that you're in a psychward, and if you've been involuntarily admitted you can get medical leave since I believe it's a crime to fire workers for medical related absences. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Reactions: touhoufan and delayedcactus
seventynineZ

seventynineZ

Mar 20, 2023
Just got out of one, weird coincidence that I found this thread first while searching Canada lmao.

I'm in Ontario and was in for 7 days, cops were called on me, I was handcuffed and brought to the hospital where they asked for my health card and asked me to give them a person to contact. I assume if you're brought somewhere that you already have a record they'll just confirm the contact they have on hand with you.
Side note: I lied about the phone number of my contact (not entirely on purpose) and they never brought it up to me.

The length you get put in is determined by a few things but generally it's about a week. When I went, there was a man who said he wasn't ready to leave to his doctor and they let him stay for an extra week. There was a woman who had type 1 diabetes and she had been there for very long (I believe 5~ weeks minimum). And there was another man who left after only 3~ days. Generally I'll say it's mostly dependent on your interactions with your doctor, how you react to the medication they prescribe you and what day you go in. If you look happy, positive and say you wont kill yourself they'll let you out sooner. If you say the medication has no negative side effects, they'll let you out sooner and if you get there on a weekday they'll also let you out sooner as the doctors are generally not around on the weekends to speak with you.

As for work, I have no idea. I quit my job before doing it but if I were to guess they don't inform your employer and you'd likely need to tell a parent to inform them for you. I believe they can't fire you for medical leave however depending on your profession and your standing within the company, you may need a note from the doctor.

Reactions: delayedcactus
leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
Just got out of one, weird coincidence that I found this thread first while searching Canada lmao.

I'm in Ontario and was in for 7 days, cops were called on me, I was handcuffed and brought to the hospital where they asked for my health card and asked me to give them a person to contact.
Handcuffed?
Wow because that will make you feel better right? What the hell is wrong with the health system

Reactions: delayedcactus
seventynineZ

seventynineZ

Mar 20, 2023
Handcuffed?
Wow because that will make you feel better right? What the hell is wrong with the health system
Cried a little when I was getting cuffed ngl, but I get it. I'm a fairly big guy (at least compared to the officers), I told them I was drunk and I have a very bad body twitch that I can't control too well but it makes it look like I'm reaching for something at times and it was kinda enhanced at the time cause of the scenario I was in.
It was kinda just lame that they brought me in front of a bunch of the patients at the hospital while I was cuffed tho. Just a bunch of old white/asian women looking at a black guy cuffed in a town of 99% white and asian people, looked like a walking statistic lmao. They didn't remove the cuffs for like the first 2 hours I was in there either which also sucked cause that shit fucking hurt. The officers were all very nice tho.

Reactions: leavingthesoultrap