befree

befree

Time to do more enjoyable things _____Goodbye_____
Mar 22, 2022
I always used ProtonVPN (sometimes also Tor). Since today ProtonVPN doesn´t allow me anymore to login to SaSu.

I got this message:

"ProtonVPN wants to add configurations. All network activity on this Mac may be filtered or monitored when using VPN."

Of course I clicked don´t agree.

There has also been a debate in Switzerland about Protonmail, according to which Protonmail is also no longer as secure as was previously claimed.

• Informative
Reactions: Sweet Tart, not-2-b-the-answer, OrphicEnd and 3 others
Epsilon Lyrae

Epsilon Lyrae

Aug 23, 2023
The message you get is valid for any VPN service, not omly the proton vpn. Basically you're placing a third party computer (vpn server) between you and the website you browse. This inevitably leads to the possibility of your network activity being logged, monitored or filtered. And this is exactly what that message warns you about.

Some VPN providers say they do not store logs, but you can never be sure.

Generally I think that revealing your Internet activity to vpn is better that to your local internet provider (what you always do when browsing with no vpn), even if you use free services as proton vpn

• Informative
Reactions: Sweet Tart
D

DeadHead

Belief is the enemy of knowledge
Aug 20, 2023
I use MullVad vpn and don't get any weird pop-ups or messages.
As for protonmail, it's been known for a number of years that it's not secure anymore.

befree

befree

Mar 22, 2022
I use MullVad vpn and don't get any weird pop-ups or messages.
As for protonmail, it's been known for a number of years that it's not secure anymore.
$5,- per month. Any other options ? Right now I´m using the Tor browser.

D

DeadHead

Belief is the enemy of knowledge
Aug 20, 2023
$5,- per month. Any other options ? Right now I´m using the Tor browser.
Yes it's very reasonable, I'm sure there are plenty of other options but I like Mullvad because you can pay as you go whereas the others make you pay a year in advance.

befree

befree

Mar 22, 2022
$5,- is too expensive. I would only use it for SaSu. But I can also use Tor.

This inevitably leads to the possibility of your network activity being logged, monitored or filtered. And this is exactly what that message warns you about.
So who monitores and filters my network acticity ? I've been using ProtonVPN for years, but got this message for the first time today.

Epsilon Lyrae

Epsilon Lyrae

Aug 23, 2023
So who monitores and filters my network acticity ? I've been using ProtonVPN for years, but got this message for the first time today.
Probably no one really does. The message is intended to prevent a case of a vpn configuration being installed somehow malliciously without user understanding of their actions. So it has to say something scary. But in your case, when installing a vpn is desired, you will have to accept that.
They are technically not lying: as i said earlier, VPN provider can actually see your activity like URL you visit. But also millions of people use it everyday. It is extremely unlikely they will ever spy on someone specific.

So about the message you saw:
This is the default message when adding new VPN configuration. You get it once each time when installing a new VPN app. And you should have already seen it. I'm not sure why you got it again, but I assure you that this message alone does not say anything about the safety of the VPN service you use.

Please note that I am not advocating for ProtonVPN or any other services. Instead I just want to clarify that message mentioned is standart warning of iOS that notifies you of new vpn being installed (or maybe in your case the old one decided to reconfigure itself)

Last edited:
befree

befree

Mar 22, 2022
I havn´t added anything new and there was no update. I started ProtonVPN just as every day before and I have never received this message before.
Maybe I should just use Tor instead. But I should also look for another email provider.

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
From what I have read protonVPN never was safe. VPN free of charge monitor the shit out of their users. You are paying with your own data. However I am far from being an expert. But I have read if you have to choose between most free VPNs or none VPN choose the latter one.

Reactions: DeadHead and katagiri83
befree

befree

Mar 22, 2022
When I use ProtonVPN with an US IP address the connection is interrupted again and again and I get this message:

web server is down - Error code 521

you: browser working - cloudflare: working - sanctioned-suicide.net: host error

now this message:

Web server is returning an unknown error Error code 520

Is this a Proton error or do you have the same problem ?

Last edited: