MidnightDream

MidnightDream

Warlock
Sep 5, 2022
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone takes propanolol to help with anxiety?
Could you share your experiences?
Thanks

J

Jadzia

Name is from Star Trek. I'm not from E. Europe
May 8, 2019
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone takes propanolol to help with anxiety?
Could you share your experiences?
Thanks
I can't take it because it causes me sleep paralysis, very vivid nightmares and insomnia

T

throwawayyy

Jun 21, 2022
I do! SSRI, propranolol for anxiety. It works pretty well. Anxiety is low enough to function but also doesn't obliterate anxiety like benzos to the point where I'm making stupid and dangerous decisions

D

Dried_Ink

Aug 1, 2022
I was prescribed propanolol to treat the tremors side effect from lithium. I find it very helpful for anxiety symptoms. No more racing heart in new social situations, which makes sense as it's prescribed for stagefright.

Mlee75

Mlee75

Jan 2, 2023
I was prescribed it for migraines and high blood pressure. Ends up I feel generally better with it. Four stars

western_heart

western_heart

trying to save ourself
May 23, 2021
I take propranolol ER for migraines and it helps reduce the intensity a lot. However, I have to take the pill before bed- I tried taking it in the morning when it was first prescribed and it would make me depressed.

Rairii

Rairii

Is it necessary?
Nov 27, 2022
I think it helps with the physical symptoms of anxiety to an extent, like getting your heart to stop racing. It doesn't do much for the anxiety thoughts but for myself once the physical symptoms subside the thoughts seem to calm down with them. It does give me headaches though but I also have chronically low blood pressure, so I think it lowering my blood pressure even more is why it does that.

Reactions: Privatehell, Celerity and Beer_is_all_I_have
Beer_is_all_I_have

Beer_is_all_I_have

Years of numbness. When will it stop?
Dec 18, 2021
I think it helps with the physical symptoms of anxiety to an extent, like getting your heart to stop racing. It doesn't do much for the anxiety thoughts but for myself once the physical symptoms subside the thoughts seem to calm down with them. It does give me headaches though but I also have chronically low blood pressure, so I think it lowering my blood pressure even more is why it does that.
Good description IMO. It lowers the physical symptoms which personally helps me feel more confident about not getting nervous, especially in public.

I've had high BP ever since my truest love CTBed 4 months ago and use it a couple times a day to help lower my BP. Therapist thinks my BP will return to normal once my grieving has progressed further.

LookingOverTheEdge

LookingOverTheEdge

Hello Darkness my old friend
Jul 13, 2020
I'm supposed to take it three times a day, which I don't. But I do keep some with me at all times, and take one when I feel anxiety hitting. For me they work quite well, and within ten minutes of taking one, I find the symptoms at the very least much more tolerable.

Doesn't help with the mental aspects of depression and anxiety, but having some relief from the physical symptoms certainly doesn't hurt.

ChronicRain

ChronicRain

noob
Feb 18, 2023
Worked really well the first few times then stopped doing shit even when I jack the dose up. Like 80mg sublingual (which basically triples bioavailability). It stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system (vagus nerve) so you're better off trying to stimulate that the few other ways you can.. Which are natural. Cold water to the face, slow breathing (exhale longer than inhale for 20 mins, but you can start off with 5min and work your way up). It's more difficult and annoying but its more likely to work.

toro

toro

dr pepper drinker
Feb 11, 2023
i used to take it! didnt do anything for me personally, like, anything at all lol. not even bad side effects, felt like i was wasting my time taking it, told my doctors and eventually got moved to a new medication. other people have different experiences, some better and some worse, for me it was just a little chalky tablet of Nothing.

D

didn't-it-rain

Nov 5, 2022
It helps calms my nerves for sure, but ironically my nerves are worst before bed and it fucks up my sleep (which it's known to do).

Looking

Looking

Looking for the answer.
Jan 16, 2023
I've started taking it for anxiety; honestly the best thing to ever happen to me, anxiety-wise. I know that sounds dramatic, but I've tried so much medication and it's the only thing that's been this effective.

hopefully

hopefully

wishing i had a cat
Mar 8, 2023
I took it for a few months for my anxiety (along with lexapro and abilify) and it really helped with my anxiety. I was on clonazepam before this, and it pretty much obliterated my anxiety completely. Since its a benzo though I couldn't stay on it long term. But propranolol seemed like the next best alternative