jisatsu88

jisatsu88

Aug 22, 2024
I'm planning on walking into the store and straight up asking to buy the shotgun. If the store owner asks what's it for im just going to say I've been wanting one for a while cuz my parents are always going on trips and I think its finally time I buy one since like last week my garage was broken into. Is this a good excuse or should I say something else. Also would I have to buy the ammunition separately and where would I learn to shoot?

I'm also worried that I'll get some sort of mail and my parents will get to it before I can. Will I get any sort of mail when trying to buy a shotgun?

I called the store owner and he said that since im under 21 it would take a while for the background check to come in. How long will it actually take and am I allowed to just drive it back home? What happens if I get pulled over on the way back home and the cop sees the gun?

if there's anything else I should know that will lead to my parents finding out, please let me know. Thank you.

set0553

set0553

самоубийство
May 16, 2024
I'm planning on walking into the store and straight up asking to buy the shotgun. If the store owner asks what's it for im just going to say I've been wanting one for a while cuz my parents are always going on trips and I think its finally time I buy one since like last week my garage was broken into. Is this a good excuse or should I say something else. Also would I have to buy the ammunition separately and where would I learn to shoot?

I'm also worried that I'll get some sort of mail and my parents will get to it before I can. Will I get any sort of mail when trying to buy a shotgun?

I called the store owner and he said that since im under 21 it would take a while for the background check to come in. How long will it actually take and am I allowed to just drive it back home? What happens if I get pulled over on the way back home and the cop sees the gun?

if there's anything else I should know that will lead to my parents finding out, please let me know. Thank you.
I wouldn't worry too much. When I ordered my handgun I was rather worried my wife would find out, and wasn't sure of the process. The company shipped directly to a local gun dealer, and I went in to pick it up, no one asks you any reason why you're buying it, they just hand you a form to fill out, and in pa, it took like 15 mins for background check, which I wasn't worried about anyway, then I paid the guy the background check fee, around 15$ or so, and walked out with my gun. I too was worried about if I got pulled over for some reason on my way home, but if you leave the gun in the box it came in, and simply tell any cop you just purchased it, it'd be fine. Just make sure to let the cop know you have it as soon as he gets to your window, there wont be any trouble. The ammo is easy. Any store that carries shotgun shells, you can buy over counter, no questions about its use or anything, and they're not going to send any letters or anything to your house. You either pass the background check, or not right before purchase, but if my memory serves me right, its much easier to purchase a shotgun, than a handgun, unless laws changed, but either way, I think you'll be fine.

Reactions: sugarb
Upvote 0
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
My state's laws are extremely lax- for example I'm able to buy a shotgun with just a driver's permit at 19- so this might not all apply in your case. I'm also not that knowledgeable (zero gun experience); this is just from my own online research.

That said:

1. There shouldn't be any issues with having a legally purchased firearm inside your vehicle given that you're just driving it back home, but putting it in a case and/or keeping the ammunition separate would be a good idea in the event you get pulled over.

2. My story is going to be simply "home defense" if asked. Maybe "well, you never know right?" if pressed. I think anything more would be over-explaining and come off as weird.

3. You should be able to buy ammunition in-store. I'm planning on buying a normal-seeming amount of ammunition on the off chance somebody thinks "why's this guy only buying one case?" or etc but it probably doesn't matter.

4. If you're only planning to use the shotgun to CTB I don't think you'd need that much training, all that's needed is loading -> preparing to fire -> positioning gun in mouth -> safety off -> trigger. You could probably learn that (apart from the gun positioning in mouth) from a youtube tutorial in five minutes or less. positioning info you could find here.

5. I don't know anything about mail, I'm afraid. You could ask them about it, I guess? Don't know how you'd do that without being suspicious

6. Don't really know about background checks but from what I've read it can range from instant to minutes to a decent while.

7. Keep the gun somewhere they won't find it if you're not planning on CTBing immediately after buying it. Maybe have a cover story for where you're going. Can't think of any other advice there.

Upvote 0