itsraining

itsraining

Sleep With A Baseball Bat
May 18, 2023
Anyone here like an artist or any piece of media that you think is inherently problematic, or that the general public considers morally wrong to like?

I'll go first,
I really like an artist called Mickey Darling who makes music about hating his exes, lots of misogynistic lyrics but I think it's sooo good.

Additionally I also enjoy Hazbin Hotel despite people's knee jerk reaction to hate it.

PeterRabbit

PeterRabbit

Feb 19, 2023
I really like the music from a band called Ankle Grease but unfortunately the lead singer has some allegations against him so the majority of fans have moved away from the music. Sadly, the music itself is still good.

I guess on a larger scale this would be like Michael Jackson fans still listening to the music but separating the artist from the works.

Reactions: itsraining
itsraining

itsraining

Sleep With A Baseball Bat
May 18, 2023
I think people should be held accountable when they do harmful things, it just makes me sad because I'd prefer not to know in this era of information. One of my other favorite artists is cosmic johnny and apparently the lead singer also has allegations. I'd just prefer not to know

Reactions: NearlyIrrelevantCake
NearlyIrrelevantCake

NearlyIrrelevantCake

The Cake Is A Lie
Aug 12, 2021
Mindless Self Indulgence. Their singer allegedly fucked an underaged girl, I think that lawsuit is still ongoing?

Fucked up shit, but man their songs hit hard.

Reactions: cgrtt.brns and itsraining
rebdomine

rebdomine

“sick or evil or both”
Oct 11, 2023
I like true crime to an extent that most people would probaby call problematic.. but who needs morals anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If a piece of media gives someone comfort, I think that's a lot more important than someone thinking it's "problematic" or "wrong" I don't think anyone should be ashamed for liking what they like, and it's really not a difficult concept to just separate the art from the artist.

Reactions: Clasrink and itsraining
TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
I quite like Charlie Manson's music, does that count? It is by no means amazing, but the guy wrote some interesting tunes. I'm also a big proponent of separating the art from the artist and, since I don't really care about what the artist say or do outside of their field, there's a non-zero chance that I enjoy the work of a socially unsavoury character or three. Oh, well.

Edit: Varg Vikernes came to mind just now. If you're into metal, you know who Varg is. The guy is 1) an unrepentant murderer; and 2) cringe as shit. I still listen to Burzum, and actually own a Burzum t-shirt. So, yeah...

Last edited:
Reactions: Clasrink, Skathon and itsraining
Loserparasite

Loserparasite

In the valley of death I am their king.
Apr 28, 2023
Most of my interests would be considered "problematic" by most... My current love for a certain NSBM band (I mainly listen to black metal anyway and most of it is problematic) and my interest in true crime are the big ones.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I definitely enjoy certain actors/ directors works who have done terrible things eg. Kevin Spacey, Harvey Weinstein. I also have a morbid fascination with things like Chernobyl and True Crime. I guess I'm not alone though- seeing as there is so much content out there.

It's a tricky subject really. Are we directly funding these people by 'consuming' their work? In some cases- yes. A lot of the most serious stuff comes out in the future though. Most of the time, we're not knowingly funding a sex offender in real time.

It works in reverse though. A horse racing dicumentary promted me to go vegetarian after seeing the most terrible abuse in abattoirs. I did matched betting for a bit too. Now, I'd never support the horse racing industry.

I do admire people who shun certain companies due to their morals. Still- exactly which companies do you suppose are entirely innocent?!! Ever drunk Coca Cola? Ever watched a Disney film? Both have skeletons in their closet...

colorlesshue

colorlesshue

IF GOD EXISTS I DEMAND HIS FORGIVENESS
Jun 28, 2023
Mindless Self Indulgence (the lead singer was a pedophile i believe :[) and Nicole Dollanganger (columbiner, posted lolicon once i believe, and pro anorexia/thinspo)
all really gross in general but their music got me through the worst time of my life

• Love
Reactions: Clasrink, absolutelyyou and itsraining
K

KiraX

Oct 20, 2023
I'm obsessed with true crime stories and documenteries about war/disasters.
Also I love watching wendigoon for horror stuff and conspiracy theories.

Also I won't admit it to anyone in person but I love Harry Potter secretly haha...

Reactions: Clasrink and itsraining
PeterRabbit

PeterRabbit

Feb 19, 2023
I also enjoy MSI, i understand.
Beaaaat me up, beattt me down, messss me up beyond allll recognition. Yeah, that was a sad one, but I mean.... not particularly surprising. I can't leave some of them songs behind. Golden I, Tornado, Prescription...
Mindless Self Indulgence. Their singer allegedly fucked an underaged girl, I think that lawsuit is still ongoing?

Fucked up shit, but man their songs hit hard.
Brooklyn you ainnnnnnnnnt nothinnnnngggggg!!!!!!