sadbadpsychogirl

sadbadpsychogirl

sonofabitch
May 29, 2020
ok heres my dilemma if i am pro choice about suicide does that automatically make me pro anorexia?
i think its a little different because even though many anorexics are starving with the goal of death, i'm talking about pro ana in its most common form which is young teenage girls giving each other advice on how to hide weight loss, purge, "become" anorexic e.t.c. i am very much against this type of thing. i can't advocate young people (very young) trying to glamorize a mental disorder that can sometimes be overcome....
i view pro choice for suicide a little differently, usually it is rational adults who have a legit reason for wanting to die (not always)
so am i a hypocrite? are they one in the same?

Reactions: flatearth
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
Suicide and anorexia are two very different things so it doesn't make you a hypocrite.

Reactions: nitrogennitrite2, OccydePoes, cii and 3 others
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
Being pro choice doesn't mean thinking everything is a good idea. I can respect people's right to not be forced one way or another while simultaneously acknowledging that some decisions are misguided and may not lead to the results a person wants.

Reactions: OccydePoes

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I guess you could be pro-choice when it comes to suicide and not pro-choice regarding anorexia.

Also, what's so bad about being a hypocrite?

stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
ok heres my dilemma if i am pro choice about suicide does that automatically make me pro anorexia?
i think its a little different because even though many anorexics are starving with the goal of death, i'm talking about pro ana in its most common form which is young teenage girls giving each other advice on how to hide weight loss, purge, "become" anorexic e.t.c. i am very much against this type of thing. i can't advocate young people (very young) trying to glamorize a mental disorder that can sometimes be overcome....
i view pro choice for suicide a little differently, usually it is rational adults who have a legit reason for wanting to die (not always)
so am i a hypocrite? are they one in the same?
I also feel like many (most) of those anorexic girls don't really want to die?!
They just live in a state of addiction and very slow inflicted self-harm. Which in it self isn't very peaceful. But if one of those "pro ana girls" were really serious about ctb I'd accept that.

I've had ana myself and it weirdly even took my mind off of ctb because I could starve/suffer and concentrate on that.

Last edited:
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
Correct me if I'm wrong, please, I am no expert, but isn't anorexia a psycological disorder?

You don't choose to have a psychological disorder, it's something that you suffer from and are a victim of.

Being pro-choice when it comes to suicide (and other matters) is a conscious choice one makes based on one's understanding of the world and belief system.

• Love
Reactions: woxihuanni and GoodPersonEffed
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
Correct me if I'm wrong, please, I am no expert, but isn't anorexia a psycological disorder?

You don't choose to have a psychological disorder, it's something that you suffer from and are a victim of.

Being pro-choice when it comes to suicide (and other matters) is a conscious choice one makes based on one's understanding of the world and belief system.

Yes...but I understood OPs post that they meant "using" anorexia/starving as a method to slowly ctb which one then has to think about whether one is able to tolerate/accept such behavior or not (in ones own mind)

Reactions: XYZ
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
Yes...but I understood OPs post that they meant "using" anorexia/starving as a method to slowly ctb which one then has to think about whether one is able to tolerate/accept such behavior or not (in ones own mind)

I am out of my depth here, so feel free to tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't anorexia an expression of the desire to be very, very thin? From what I've read patients are unable to see how thin they really are and they are obsessed with restricting calories in order to become even slimmer. As such, their ultimate goal is not death, but the achievement of an idealized "slim-ness" they can never achieve.
Anyway... it is a harrowing disease and my heart goes out to anyone who suffers from it :heart:

Last edited:
Reactions: woxihuanni
Meretlein

Meretlein

Feb 15, 2019
One of the reasons I am prochoice is I believe the continued harms and costs of life are imposed without us ever consenting to it. We have to work to sustain ourselves and keep unpleasant states from coming. Pain (such as hunger) comes naturally and we have to strive for good.

People say that you deprived yourself of good when you die but that isn't really true. Was the time before you were born a deprivation?

Purposely causing suffering to oneself is a different matter for these reasons.

Reactions: XYZ and sadworld
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
I am out of my depth here, so feel free to tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't anorexia an expression of the desire to be very, very thin? From what I've read patients are unable to see how thin they really are and they are obsessed with restricting calories in order to become even slimmer. As such, their ultimate goal is not death, but the achievement of an idealized "slim-ness" they can never achieve.
Yes, that is what I think often (mainly) the case. But not eating/starving ones self (weight unrelated) can also be a symptom of depression just like suicidal tendencies. So if those two collide and a person was to "use" their ED as a form of self-harm and simultaneously thinking about ctb...one has to think...whether starving to death is a justifiable method.

Reactions: XYZ
sadbadpsychogirl

sadbadpsychogirl

sonofabitch
May 29, 2020
I also feel like many (most) of those anorexic girls don't really want to die?!
They just live in a state of addiction and very slow inflicted self-harm. Which in it self isn't very peaceful. But if one of those "pro ana girls" were really serious about ctb I'd accept that.

I've had ana myself and it weirdly even took my mind off of ctb because I could starve/suffer and concentrate on that.

i hear that. i haven't been eating much lately and it does seem to make things feel less painful.. thats bad
Anyway... it is a harrowing disease and my heart goes out to anyone who suffers from it :heart:

yes that is definitely part of it but its also a symptom of a bigger problem like ocd or depression
i guess i was just thinking that if i'm pro choice for suicide, i "should" be for people who choose to harm themselves in other ways.... still feels wrong though

Last edited:
Reactions: XYZ and stygal
MrBlue

MrBlue

Arcanist
Jul 1, 2020
As someone that has suffered anorexia (though as pre-teen boy not a teenage girl) and a member of SS, my personal experience with them has been distinctly different to each other. When I was anorexic, it was more an OCD compulsion that got out of hand, which led to my brain justifying said compulsion with the delusion that I was overweight, or I'd be more likable/attractive/athlethic if I lost just a little more weight, so I had to until I almost died.

It's obviously only my personal experience so take it with a grain of salt, but throughout my treatment for anorexia I never met anyone primarily using it as a suicide method, but some decided to starve to death/use it as self harm when they realised getting thinner wasn't helping them improve their life in the ways they thought it would.

• Hugs
Reactions: sadbadpsychogirl and XYZ
Caspers

Caspers

Lost
Jun 23, 2020
I think pro-ana is closer to pro-suicide. Pro-ana promotes anorexia, encourages anorexia. Pro-suicide promotes suicide, encourages people to do it. This forum isn't pro-suicide, we accept people want to die, but we don't encourage each other to commit. Pro-choice is the belief you can choose to take your own life if you wish. It is definitely not encouraging it

Reactions: sadbadpsychogirl