F

funneemann

Apr 9, 2020
I originally registered for this website on google chrome but am now using duckduckgo. I currently have no VPN or other privacy protection measures. Could I possibly get into trouble for using this website?

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I think if people had gotten into trouble for using this site there would have been posts about it, in spite of having gotten into trouble. Even if that person didn't post for themselves, a lot of people develop personal relationships here and communicate off the forum, so a friend might have posted about what happened to another member as a warning. Members are often very vocally protective of the site, as evidenced by all the threads when SS becomes a news item like with Shawn Shatto and Callie Lewis (you can use the site search if this is the first you've heard of this).

Reactions: a.h, one4all and funneemann
HelensNepenthe

HelensNepenthe

Thoughtful poster
Jan 17, 2019
> I currently have no VPN or other privacy protection measures.

In most cases a VPN will not provide you privacy, contrary to what others say and marketing ploys. Your habits online are not any more anonymous than your ISP connection. Using an encrypted DNS and HTTPS will give you security. 'Privacy' and 'Anonymity' are often used used interchangeably. You should know what you want.

VPNs are useful if you want to hide your traffic from an ISP. Your ISP can still see you're connecting to a VPN. A VPN can also provide ways of downloading content without getting a anti-copyright notice. You're putting your trust into the provider, and that is inherently a problem in itself. Tor in addition to using Tails or Whonix is ideal. Whonix is a lot more savvy in setup while Tails is not.

> Could I possibly get into trouble for using this website?

No. There is nothing illegal about this site. There is nothing illegal about discussing suicide or reading up on methods. Walking someone through their suicide could potentially cause legal problems. This is against the rules of the site, anyway. Keep things on this site and you should not have problems. The site administrators have a lot of protections on the end-users to keep their information secure. In addition you should practice OPSEC, too.

Reactions: a.h and funneemann