GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
With the release of the ReBreather and all the confusion around it, my skepticism has been heightened, so I revisited these principles, which I previously posted in a comment in the Manipulation Tactics thread.

Listed below are the seven principles of influence originally introduced in Robert Cialdini's book, Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, which he published after researching the manipulative techniques of sales, marketing, and advertising. I found online an accurate version of the principles, and have revised the descriptions based on having read the book, and to reflect the marketing techniques that forum members could be exposed to, with two specific products in mind: the ReBreather, and N.

Please note that I am not passively accusing any members of scamming or acting covertly. If I sense bullshit, I'll call it out with directness and/or report it to the mods, not drop hints and leave folks guessing as to my intent. What I am doing here is using the principles to show how easy it is to be manipulated and to say:

"Watch your back, watch your heart, and watch your wallet. If you sense a red flag, pay heed to the red flag, not to your desire for what you would like it to mean."

1. Reciprocity. The idea of reciprocity is one of obligation. Humans hate to feel indebted. If someone does a favor for another, the recipient feels obliged to pay it back. One example is the free samples handed out in grocery stores - one feels obliged to buy for having taken a sample, or even having been offered one. Giving someone the inside scoop before others are made aware is also a favor one feels obliged to repay, and it also makes them feel "special," which puffs up one's pride so that it becomes greater than reason. Scam artists use this tactic as well. Another example is the mutual intimate sharing of personal details between members, especially in PMs: when one member discloses something personal, the other feels obliged to return the favor, and increasing intimacy on the part of a scammer can be used to gain unwarranted trust.

2. Commitment (and Consistency). This principle explains that humans have a deep need to be seen as consistent, as much to themselves as to others. Once we have publicly (or even internally) committed to something or someone, we are much more likely to go through and deliver on that commitment…hence consistency. If we have decided that a ctb method is desirable and commit resources and effort to obtaining it, we are more likely to minimize red flags when a seller show signs of being untrustworthy. If someone announces their intention to buy a product, they are more likely to follow through even if they begin to have doubts.

3. Social Proof. This is when people do what they observe other people doing (when uncertain, there is safety in numbers). A scammer or marketer can make multiple user accounts from a variety of IP addresses and invent social proof of legitimacy, making unwitting observers more likely to follow the crowd they've created. The more people seeming to order a product makes it seems safe to order, and safer to use. This is also called the bandwagon effect.

4. Authority. People tend to trust authority figures, and they are inherently more persuasive because of this (authority can be based on many factors – wealth, uniforms, status, etc.). An example of this from Cialdini's book is the dramatic increase in sales of an OTC medicine when it was promoted by the actor from the old television show, Marcus Welby, MD, in which the main character was benevolent and wise. Another example is the university psychological experiment in which the subjects thought they were giving electrical shocks of increasing voltage to a hidden actor because they were instructed to do so by someone in a lab coat, and did it even when they actor screamed and begged them to stop, because they trusted the doctor more than their own reasoning. Con artists often use costumes that inspire trust and encourage ignoring the red flags caused by their incongruent behavior, such as police and security uniforms, priests' clothing, nuns' habits, medical scrubs, military uniforms, commercial pilots' uniforms, etc. (Frank Abagnale, Jr. is a famous example of a con using uniforms.)

5. Liking. The more you like someone, the more likely it is you'll be persuaded by them. A scam artist on a forum may be the nicest person on the forum. If they work in partnership with someone, or create and use additional accounts, they have more fans to praise them and more backup when they are questioned. Once a legitimate member has gone to their defense, that member's desire for internal consistency and a desire to appear consistent may make them slower to accept future bad behaviors as bad or to speak out against the behavior. Liking can also be applied to a product: most people like the idea of a quick painless, and peaceful death, which makes the product more desirable and influential so that it markets itself.

6. Scarcity. When you believe something is in short supply, you want it more. An old example of this is the Beanie Babies craze. Another is any product with a limited release. A variation of the scarcity tactic is the dangling carrot - the product will soon be available, then is postponed due to customs or police interference, or production delays. The more elusive the product, the more desirable, and it therefpre follows that questionable behavior becomes more easily rationalized or minimized because the desirability is exponentially increased.

7. Unity. It's about the categories that individuals use to define themselves and their groups, such as race, ethnicity, nationality, and family, as well as political and religious affiliations. A key characteristic of these categories is that their members tend to feel at one with, merged with, the others. They are the categories in which the conduct one member influences the self-esteem of other members. "We" is the shared "me." On SS, members who already are experiencing heightened emotions have a sense of unity with other members, leading to a sense of trust due to shared suffering and vulnerability. A scammer or covert marketer will take advantage of this trust that is more readily given than in other environments. Bad behavior can be explained away by mental issues or distress, leading other members to come to their defense. Where there is unity, lone voices who question an offense, a popular belief, or the provider of a highly desired product are more likely to be discounted and even vilified by the group. The scammer or covert marketer has to do very little, even nothing, because the group does all the work on his or her behalf.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sabriel, Soul, Epsilon0 and 5 others
H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020
Are you saying that the debreather is hype, or dare I say, a scam? Sorry I haven't been following the forum recently so I don't know what drama has been unfolding.

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
I'm definitely NOT saying it is a scam. I would outright say so if I thought so. I am saying that I have reason to be suspicious, and I am paying attention to that. But with regard to hype, it seems to me that hype has been building since before January 2019, and when I add to that the current delays, I am skeptical, and I have openly and repeatedly said I am.

I have resources that help me to connect with my reason when I think something is urging me to override it, or urging me to dismiss red flags when I sense them, so I'm sharing one of my resources here for the benefit of others if they seek it.

In spite of my good intentions, I wouldn't be surprised if the thread gets deleted, though I hope it won't. And I sincerely hope no derailing-type arguing breaks out in the comments, though that could be the undesirable destination my good intentions paved a road to.

Last edited:
H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020
I'm definitely NOT saying it is a scam. I would outright say so if I thought so. I am saying that I have reason to be suspicious, and I am paying attention to that. But with regard to hype, it seems to me that hype has been building since before January 2019, and when I add to that the current delays, I am skeptical, and I have openly and repeatedly said I am.

I have resources that help me to connect with my reason when I think something is urging me to override it, or urging me to dismiss red flags when I sense them, so I'm sharing one of my resources here for the benefit of others if they seek it.

In spite of my good intentions, I wouldn't be surprised if the thread gets deleted, though I hope it won't. And I sincerely hope no derailing-type arguing breaks out in the comments, though that could be the undesirable destination my good intentions paved a road to.

I too have been skeptical, so, yeah...

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
Yomyom

Yomyom

Darker dearie, much darker
Feb 5, 2020
6. Scarcity. When you believe something is in short supply, you want it more. An old example of this is the Beanie Babies craze. Another is any product with a limited release. A variation of the scarcity tactic is the dangling carrot - the product will soon be available, then is postponed due to customs or police interference, or production delays. The more elusive the product, the more desirable, and it therefpre follows that questionable behavior becomes more easily rationalized or minimized because the desirability is exponentially increased.
That's very similar to what happened to me with 'global nembutal' (scammers).

In some point according their fake delivery company my delivery was catched on the Customs, and they said i need FDA ID and they can give it to me for 1150$.
I didn't paid but I really wanted to.
After some time they started threat on me and try to blackmail me by saying they will send my details to the police

After some time I noticed that all scammers act on the same way (that's actually very insulting :wink:)

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
@Yomyom, a little off topic but related to the OP...

On the EI forum, are members there asking the same questions SS members are asking on this forum about ReBreather ordering problems, delivery notifications, and how the ReBreather works?

Yomyom

Yomyom

Darker dearie, much darker
Feb 5, 2020
@Yomyom, a little off topic but related to the OP...

On the EI forum, are members there asking the same questions SS members are asking on this forum about ReBreather ordering problems, delivery notifications, and how the ReBreather works?
I'm not in the forum.
I bought the membership and they sent to my house, but didn't join the forum, because I'm under 50, I joined with the help of my friend, but he won't willing to do the selfie part for the forum

But I think @lmroch is on the forum...

Last edited:
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
On the concept of Reciprocity with regard to the comments in the thread asking if the DeBreather is too good to be true...

There was a new member who seems to have self-banned, @vpstories. He claimed to also be a member of EI and a participant on its Peaceful Pill forum. I use the pronoun he because of his initial post about being a military pilot, and it seems long ago enough that women would not have been pilots at that time, but I could be wrong.

He joined on March 23, and made 12 posts from April 9-12. This doesn't include the thread he deleted, I'll get to that.

On April 12....

- He shared the contents of an email message allegedly from the R2D representative. In the context of reciprocity, this can be seen as offering something.

- He started an FAQ thread about the ReBreather. At least one SS member questioned his motives, I can't remember if more did as well. I questioned the contents of the email, but made it clear my suspicions were directed at the author, not at @vpstories.

- His response to my suspicion of the representative:

To be clear, I have no relationship to [redacted] beyond being a customer. I'm offering to help because I think this could be a revolutionary tool for self-deliverance. Also, to my understanding, Exit International has nothing officially to do with this device, its creation or its release and distribution. All the delays have been because of the pandemic. You're right to be skeptical, I certainly am. But I'm taking a leap of faith on this being the real deal.

Note the unsolicited offer to help, and if you'd like, compare the rest of his rhetoric with the principles of influence, such as a unity play with the skeptical remark. This is a common tactic used by salespeople.

- His offer of help was unqualified. He was helping with sharing emails, and helping by creating the FAQ thread (which he said on that thread he was doing to help, and was acting as a go-between even as he denied having a relationship with the seller. Since the thread is gone, if you don't recall it, then don't take my or anyone else's word for it, it's not evidence if no one can present it, only hearsay, so accept or reject it based on your own discretion).

- This is what I find particularly interesting in the context of reciprocity:

Deleted [FAQ] thread. I'm outta here. I tried.

At first glance, I would call this shaming or guilt-tripping. But what I'm seeing in this context is that it is based on having been denied reciprocity, which as stated in the OP, makes humans uncomfortable. I interpret his post as such: I tried to give to you, I am rescinding my offer to help, my efforts have not been shown appreciation, and I'm leaving.

I've noticed that when someone cannot stand up to questioning, they often use tactics to turn it around so that they are the victim, in order to discredit the one questioning, and to weaken the questioner's confidence and resolve.

If he were a covert marketer, almost his entire post history has been to support the product and draw attention to his generosity in sharing information. The final kicker was that reciprocity was not given in response to his altruism, and the last post may heighten fears already in play due to scarcity.

PLEASE NOTE: I love doing critical analyses. My intention with this post was to use the tools listed in the OP to critically analyze what's going on with the release of the ReBreather. If the member I quoted were still active, I would have been hesitant to post the analysis because it could be construed as an attack, and I likely would have gotten a warning and my post deleted. If he were still active, I would have had to post this on the other thread, and I would have had to have been very careful about how I presented it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yomyom and Epsilon0
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
You make a very important observation here:

Another example is the mutual intimate sharing of personal details between members, especially in PMs: when one member discloses something personal, the other feels obliged to return the favor, and increasing intimacy on the part of a scammer can be used to gain unwarranted trust.

And here as well:

On SS, members who already are experiencing heightened emotions have a sense of unity with other members, leading to a sense of trust due to shared suffering and vulnerability.

Last edited:
Reactions: enjolras and GoodPersonEffed