ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
While I do respect the atheists position, this discussion is for those who believe in something beyond our biological existence. Thank you.

The main motivation in this post is whether or not it might be a good idea to have a pre ctb prayer (prayer just before carrying out the act of self deliverance) in order to ensure one does not end up in a weird / ugly place on the other side.

Many of you have heard of Howard Storm, if not then below is the interview about his NDE. He was supposedly in a very strange place during a time when he was in a hospital room dying. He then called out to God which is what saved him.

This makes me think that some kind of prayer of forgiveness and acceptance to a higher power might be something to at to the pre-ctb checklist.

Interview:

Part 1

Part II

Pilum Muralis

Pilum Muralis

“We'll never be as young as we are tonight.”
Jul 2, 2019
I'm agnostic, but have been baptized Orthodox, and do go to church because of my husband (he's the Christian). I'm sure before I pass, I'll say a little prayer. It's strange, but I find it meditating. Kind of like chanting.
They have prayers and chanting for just about everything. These are the ones that come to mind.

There is a general prayer they do. Sort of all purpose:
O Master and God, Father almighty,
Lord, and only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ,
and Holy Spirit, one divinity and power,
have mercy on me a sinner,
and save me, your unworthy servant,
in any way you know;
for you are blessed unto the ages of ages.
Amen.

There is a prayer for the dying, sort of like a "Last Rites". Many recite this if they're able, while on their deathbed, but it's usually done by the Priest.
http://www.saintgregoryoutreach.org/2012/02/orthodox-prayer-dying-deathbed-nephron.html

They also do what is called Trisagion, for the departed.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManWithNoName and Maravillosa
Rukia

Rukia

Enlightened
Jun 3, 2019
The Divine Mercy Chaplet you may want to check this...but

there is also sin against Holy Spirit :( which wont be forgiven...

"The offense against the Holy Spirit that stands out is the one Our Lord calls an unforgivable sin. The Catechism in No. 1864 says, "'Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven" [Matthew 12:31; cf. Mark 3:29; Luke 12:10]. There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss." "

"No. 2092 of the Catechism explains, "There are two kinds of presumption. Either man presumes upon his own capacities, (hoping to be able to save himself without help from on high), or he presumes upon God's almighty power or his mercy (hoping to obtain his forgiveness without conversion and glory without merit)."

https://rcspirituality.org/ask_a_priest/ask-a-priest-what-are-sins-against-the-holy-spirit/

So if you lets say say this chaplet and the consciously proceed to sin it can be of no avail...

Those are my fears too... :aw:

Reactions: Maravillosa
GeorgeJL

GeorgeJL

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2019
Personally I think that it's more important that you don't follow people into dark places in the afterlife (like Howard) than saying a prayer. But if the prayer helps you connect with a higher power then by all means go for it.

ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
Personally I think that it's more important that you don't follow people into dark places in the afterlife (like Howard) than saying a prayer. But if the prayer helps you connect with a higher power then by all means go for it.
When you mean 'dark places' you mean literally when someone takes you into what looks like in the real world to be a dark room? Would that be the only warning sign?

sadbunny

sadbunny

Experienced
Jun 7, 2019
The Divine Mercy Chaplet you may want to check this...but

there is also sin against Holy Spirit :( which wont be forgiven...

"The offense against the Holy Spirit that stands out is the one Our Lord calls an unforgivable sin. The Catechism in No. 1864 says, "'Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven" [Matthew 12:31; cf. Mark 3:29; Luke 12:10]. There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss." "

"No. 2092 of the Catechism explains, "There are two kinds of presumption. Either man presumes upon his own capacities, (hoping to be able to save himself without help from on high), or he presumes upon God's almighty power or his mercy (hoping to obtain his forgiveness without conversion and glory without merit)."

https://rcspirituality.org/ask_a_priest/ask-a-priest-what-are-sins-against-the-holy-spirit/

So if you lets say say this chaplet and the consciously proceed to sin it can be of no avail...

Those are my fears too... :aw:

I think that I commited that sin

Reactions: GinaIsReady
sadbunny

sadbunny

Experienced
Jun 7, 2019
Me too :( I have this doubts all the time...
But I think as long as we live there is hope for us...:hug: We can repent...
@Rukia Let's hope so because I don't know how much longer I can take

Rukia

Rukia

Enlightened
Jun 3, 2019
Me too...I cannot do another 40 years like this...

There are a lot of prayers and devotions, if you are a Catholic, that are connected with promises that you wont end up in hell...like the holy scapular...:hug:
I try to take advantage of those...

I remember when I thought I was dying in hospital they took my scapular away...:meh: not on purpose...of course...that was the procedure...So I have learned the scapular is not so sure it can always be taken away and you must wear it when you are dying...

Darkhaven

Darkhaven

All i have left is memories
May 19, 2019
Prayer won't do much.
Sure it shows that you aren't completely out of respect for life, but then again, if God knows everything then you probably don't need to make a prayer. He already should know why you are doing it and if it's an acceptable decision "in his book".
It's more kind of a simbolic act.
However if you are a believer then it definately makes sense to try and establish contact with your creator when the time of your demise is near. I just don't think it's gonna do much to improve our situation.
It's just my opinion. We can never be sure.
I have called for help once and never got an answer so i gave up. But that's just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: bacardirum
bacardirum

bacardirum

Experienced
May 21, 2019
From my own understanding, God hears no prayers, Jesus passes all messages on, he's much too busy...

ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
Prayer won't do much.
Sure it shows that you aren't completely out of respect for life, but then again, if God knows everything then you probably don't need to make a prayer. He already should know why you are doing it and if it's an acceptable decision "in his book".
It's more kind of a simbolic act.
Good point made.

It's best to already be living one's life according to one's religion. But at the very least the prayer does help mentally prepare anyone just before the act of ctb.

Pilum Muralis

Pilum Muralis

“We'll never be as young as we are tonight.”
Jul 2, 2019
I say if it brings people comfort in their time of need, who am I to tell them its pointless or a waste of time?
Personally, I don't believe in a specific 'God' of sorts, or a Heaven or Hell, but from my own experience, saying prayer has made me feel better. I have panic attacks quite often, and sometimes in desperation, I'll just say our simple "Jesus Prayer', and it calms me. I think its like when someone meditates. The repetitiveness of the prayers is akin to chanting.

From my own understanding, God hears no prayers, Jesus passes all messages on, he's much too busy...
This is the problem with all the different denominations. Orthodox, and I believe Catholics as well, believe in the Holy Trinity. God, Jesus, and The Holy Spirit are all one entity, yet all separate at the same time. I don't understand it.
They also, at the time of baptism, chose a patron saint. They believe that these saints help intercede on their behalf when they pray.

I apologize if I seem like I'm proselytizing. I promise I'm not. My husband is directly involved with the Orthodox Church, and has been working on his PhD in Biblical Studies. I have been inundated with religion for the past 12 years! It can be a bit much for me, but interesting at the same time.

Last edited:
GeorgeJL

GeorgeJL

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2019
When you mean 'dark places' you mean literally when someone takes you into what looks like in the real world to be a dark room? Would that be the only warning sign?
Yes and no. So in the moment yes stay away from the dark grey places. But the thing that lead to that was him believing lies and drinking booze perhaps, because as I understand it he was an alcoholic, and if not an alcoholic he was very close. Also alcohol is known to lower you vibration and make you susceptible to lower energies too.

Reactions: ManWithNoName