Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
What do you do, or how does one reply, when you get Positive Mental Attitude shoved down your throat every 5 mins from so called well meaning people?
Apparently PMA will solve all my issues, apparently all I need to do is add it to my life and I won't be so depressed and negative all the time,
People who claim they understand me, and my depths, yet then say PMA is what got them out of their hole, and made the world a better place
I understand for some it works, but what about those who have tried but after being knocked down so much have given up and have no interest?
If I get the words PMA shoved at me one more time I will scream, I am sick of it,
Or am I wrong?
How do you respond to these comments, I used to smile, nod and move on, but when the next slightly negative thing I may mention, Iget it straight back

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you šŸ•Æļø Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
Although yes it does work it takes A LOT of work and I think they forget that part. Because it takes a lot of work I don't force it on anyone but I do mention it

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
To say to someone who's depressed that they need to get a positive mental attitude is a bit like saying to somone who's poor that they need to get money.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 14573 and GlowingCactus
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Fucking PMA. I really hate it. First of all, it's condescending. Secondly, why should we not aim to have a realistic attitude? Asking that towards PMA people. Sorry if I offend anyone

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and GlowingCactus
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Expecting someone to be cheerful all of the time is not positive at all, in fact it can be very damaging.

• Love
Reactions: BitterlyAlive
Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
Expecting someone to be cheerful all of the time is not positive at all, in fact it can be very damaging.

Out of interest what way's do you mean when you say damaging to people
To say to someone who's depressed that they need to get a positive mental attitude is a bit like saying to somone who's poor that they need to get money.

that's a really good way of putting it!! Esp when one of the comments was done on a post of mine selling a car as I can't afford to run it anymore and I wrote I was gutted, she came back, don't sell the car, you just need some PMA !!
I was shocked! PMA doesn't pay for a car

Reactions: Sensei
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020

that's a really good way of putting it!! Esp when one of the comments was done on a post of mine selling a car as I can't afford to run it anymore and I wrote I was gutted, she came back, don't sell the car, you just need some PMA !!
I was shocked! PMA doesn't pay for a car
Here was my thought: https://dominatedepression.com/positive-thinking-causes-depression/

when you're severely depressed and incapable of it, PMA is only going to worsen things. In my experience this is true.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020

As an example: Positivity has turned into an obsession for some people, so much to the point that they will try to enforce that attitude in others. If somebody is in a low mood - upset, sad, depressed, etc then the positive-obsessed individual will label them as "toxic" or "negative" which makes them feel awful. Then that person who is in a dark place will bottle up their emotions out of fear of being persecuted. Eventually they will explode.

BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
As an example: Positivity has turned into an obsession for some people, so much to the point that they will try to enforce that attitude in others. If somebody is in a low mood - upset, sad, depressed, etc then the positive-obsessed individual will label them as "toxic" or "negative" which makes them feel awful. Then that person who is in a dark place will bottle up their emotions out of fear of being persecuted. Eventually they will explode.
Ohhh, you said it very well. Thanks for the post, mate.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I keep laughing that PMA looks pathologized here and therefore should be in the next DSM.

Reactions: BitterlyAlive