applegreenicecream

applegreenicecream

We're not in wonderland anymore, Alice.
Mar 22, 2020
Can people post about the best way to make poppy seed tea. The best seeds to use etc. I know they must be unwashed.
How much to soak, how long to soak. . . I'm guessing it is bitter so can a regular herbal tea bag be added to counter balance that?

I was just googling but there is a lack of guidance how to make the tea. Just lots of science posts about the dangers and info on overdoses, but no method posts.

I know you guys will have the goods on this.

Reactions: die_young, highlyvolatile and Hollow Point
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
It's been a while since I used poppy seed tea, so I might have forgotten some details. That said, I simply put the seeds in hot, but not boiling water. Then I stirred the brew briskly, not to say violently, for ten to fifteen minutes. Finally, I filtered the brew through cloth (not a coffee filter) to get rid of the seeds and then it was ready to drink. This worked for me, but there are probably ways you can make the tea more potent. It doesn't taste good, but not awful either. (Poppy pod tea tastes absolutely bloody awful, though.) You can mix your poppy seed tea with lemon juice, because it supposedly makes it more potent.

If you haven't tried it already, I can tell you that it really works against anxiety and depression. I see that you already are aware of the risk of overdosing, but you should also know that it can be highly addictive. I've heard that you can get addicted to an opioid if you use it twice within 48 hours, so you should probably not use it more often than every third day.

Reactions: highlyvolatile and Hollow Point
applegreenicecream

applegreenicecream

Mar 22, 2020
It's been a while since I used poppy seed tea, so I might have forgotten some details. That said, I simply put the seeds in hot, but not boiling water. Then I stirred the brew briskly, not to say violently, for ten to fifteen minutes. Finally, I filtered the brew through cloth (not a coffee filter) to get rid of the seeds and then it was ready to drink. This worked for me, but there are probably ways you can make the tea more potent. It doesn't taste good, but not awful either. (Poppy pod tea tastes absolutely bloody awful, though.) You can mix your poppy seed tea with lemon juice, because it supposedly makes it more potent.

If you haven't tried it already, I can tell you that it really works against anxiety and depression. I see that you already are aware of the risk of overdosing, but you should also know that it can be highly addictive. I've heard that you can get addicted to an opioid if you use it twice within 48 hours, so you should probably not use it more often than every third day.
This is really informative. Thank you. High fives you.
What sort of quantity seeds are we talking about. Spoon wise?

Reactions: Hollow Point
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
The potency of poppy seeds can vary very much, and that's why people die of accidental overdoses. Start low and work your way up. I don't remember any exact numbers, but your first dose should be well below 100 gram.

applegreenicecream

applegreenicecream

Mar 22, 2020
I'm not wanting to try the tea to die, per se, but an unintended overdose wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

Reactions: Hollow Point and Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I actually made a suicide attempt with poppy seed tea. I think I used around 600 grams, but I'm not sure. As I've already mentioned, the potency can vary very much, and the seeds I used were evidently not that potent. I was unconscious for over 30 hours, but fatal respiratory depression obviously never set in. Unless this is a dream on the other side of death, that is.

• Wow
Reactions: highlyvolatile, Hollow Point and applegreenicecream
applegreenicecream

applegreenicecream

Mar 22, 2020
I actually made a suicide attempt with poppy seed tea. I think I used around 600 grams, but I'm not sure. As I've already mentioned, the potency can vary very much, and the seeds I used were evidently not that potent. I was unconscious for over 30 hours, but fatal respiratory depression obviously never set in. Unless this is a dream on the other side of death, that is.
And we're all in a sixth sense Bruce Willis type state. Yikes.

Timetodie90

Timetodie90

Spiritual but suicidal.
Mar 8, 2020
Are we just talking about regular poppy seeds on this thread ? If so I'm going to try this.

applegreenicecream

applegreenicecream

Mar 22, 2020
Are we just talking about regular poppy seeds on this thread ? If so I'm going to try this.
Yes. But they have to be unwashed. Not all are. I was reading amazon reviews for clues . . . And hints . . . But it seems like a lot of freaks just want them for baking and snacking. Weirdo people.

Reactions: Birthinjune, Hollow Point and Timetodie90
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I didn't realize poppy seed tea was a thing. I can't stand poppy seeds. Stupid annoying things. What's it taste like? How is it good for depression?

Last edited:
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
But they have to be unwashed.

Not necessarily, but you need large quantities if they aren't. Even if a batch of seeds is washed, traces of opiates will always remain on some seeds. The same goes for sterilisation of poppy seeds, actually. If you plant a whole bag of seeds, an opium poppy plant will almost certainly pop up eventually. Then you can harvest your own opium, if you have the patience. It sounds like an urban legend, but surprisingly, it isn't.

I was reading amazon reviews for clues . . . And hints . . .

Amazon is not really the best place to find unwashed seeds. Health stores and similar are often better options. Unwashed seeds are often labeled "ecological" or "organic". There are poppy seeds with an extremely high morphine content, if I remember correctly as high as 30 %, but they are difficult to come by.

Be careful with poppy seed tea. It's an effective anxiety and depression killer, but it is addictive and potentially deadly.
How is it good for depression?

Poppy seed tea is, so to speak, morphine for people without street contacts. It's sedative just like morphine, but weaker and not euphoric. I've met many people online who successfully self-medicate with poppy seed tea against anxiety and depression. As for me, it helped me through a very difficult period and was essentially the only thing standing between me and suicide.

Last edited:
Reactions: highlyvolatile, Hollow Point and k75
applegreenicecream

applegreenicecream

Mar 22, 2020
I just bought poppy seeds and a cloth filter bag online. I'll post about it once I've tried to make the tea. I have no idea if the seeds are going to be potent enough. Reviews were mixed. But a couple of them warned the seeds were strong.
If it doesn't work then I guess I'll plant them. Poppies are nice to look at and red is my favourite colour.

Reactions: Hollow Point, Sensei and Timetodie90
applegreenicecream

applegreenicecream

Mar 22, 2020
So the seeds arrived today. The filter bags haven't come yet, but I was keen to try the seeds, so I improvised.
Using a glass jug I poured seeds up to the 100ml mark. I poured boiling water to cover them and left them to soak for about 2 hours.
I put a square of stretchy cotton fabric over the top of the jug and secured it with elastic bands and this served as a filter.
There wasn't much liquid. Only just over 100ml. I put a bit of sugar in and reheated it to be warm. It didn't taste bad. Not great. But not awful. Cbd oil is much worse.

That's the good news. The bad news is that I didnt feel any effects at all. I don't think the seeds were washed as there were bits of other crap in amongst them. I guess I just didn't use enough seeds.

I've left a stronger batch soaking overnight. By stronger I mean twice as many seeds.

I really wanted to find some relief with poppy tea.

• Aww..
Reactions: Pisceslilith, omoidarui and Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I've tried soaking, but it's never worked for me. I think the seeds need to be treated more "violently" for the extraction of the opiates to be successful. A simple method you could try is cold water extraction. You can use any piece of cloth as a filter, such as a kitchen towel or a T-shirt.

There's of course always a risk that you've bought seeds with low opiate content and if that's the case, you need to use large quantities. That's how people die, though. However, it's actually good news that there's "other crap" among the seeds, because that indicates that they haven't been processed.

If you want to find vendors who sell quality poppy seeds, I know that there are poppy-seed-tea subreddits and they probably offer up-to-date information.

Reactions: FreedomInDeath
applegreenicecream

applegreenicecream

Mar 22, 2020
I had my stronger dose of tea this afternoon at about 2pm. The seeds had soaked all night. The tea was very dark but there wasnt much of it. I drank it all down quick.
Again I felt nothing.
As you said sensei I obviously got a batch of low opiate seeds. I had a headache after but I don't think it's linked to the tea. I get a lot of headaches anyway.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I see. May I ask, how many grams did you use?

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Are red mill brand seeds good?

They used to be a few years ago, but that can change quickly, as vendors may change suppliers and so on. It's been a few years since I made poppy seed tea, so I don't know what the best vendors are nowadays. Unwashed and potentially potent seeds are often labeled ecological, unprocessed, kosher, 100 % natural and similar.
About 200g at a guess

Hm, that's a quite high dose. I still think you should try another method than soaking.

Poppy seed tea is very nice, but there are alternatives, which are less tortuous and often also cheaper. You can get a similar feeling with for instance ashwagandha (don't overdo it, though) or a combination of ephedra and passion flower (again, don't overdo it).

Last edited:
applegreenicecream

applegreenicecream

Mar 22, 2020
They used to be a few years ago, but that can change quickly, as vendors may change suppliers and so on. It's been a few years since I made poppy seed tea, so I don't know what the best vendors are nowadays. Unwashed and potentially potent seeds are often labeled ecological, unprocessed, kosher, 100 % natural and similar.

Hm, that's a quite high dose. I still think you should try another method than soaking.

Poppy seed tea is very nice, but there are alternatives, which are less tortuous and often also cheaper. You can get a similar feeling with for instance ashwagandha (don't overdo it, though) or a combination of ephedra and passion flower (again, don't overdo it).
I'll try the cold water and shake extraction with lemon juice. I've abused various drugs since 2017
. . . Tramadol, pregabalin, amitriptyline, xanax, diazepam, ambien, others I forget. I basically have done them all . . . In large doses. So maybe that's why the poppy tea doesn't seem to work.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I'll try the cold water and shake extraction with lemon juice. I've abused various drugs since 2017
. . . Tramadol, pregabalin, amitriptyline, xanax, diazepam, ambien, others I forget. I basically have done them all . . . In large doses. So maybe that's why the poppy tea doesn't seem to work.

Well, tramadol is an opioid, so you may have developed tolerance. People who use poppy seed tea are usually opioid naive, like yours truly. People who have more experience of opioids prefer poppy pod tea, but poppy pods are more expensive and more difficult to obtain. Again, you can get similar effects from ashwagandha and ephedra + passion flower. I forgot to mention kratom, which really has opioid like effects. That one's scheduled in some countries, though.

applegreenicecream

applegreenicecream

Mar 22, 2020
Well, tramadol is an opioid, so you may have developed tolerance. People who use poppy seed tea are usually opioid naive, like yours truly. People who have more experience of opioids prefer poppy pod tea, but poppy pods are more expensive and more difficult to obtain. Again, you can get similar effects from ashwagandha and ephedra + passion flower. I forgot to mention kratom, which really has opioid like effects. That one's scheduled in some countries, though.
I was reading about Kratom last night. Thinking it might be something to try.
If I grew poppies I'd have the pods right. Do you dry them out or just boil them? I'm looking at ashwagandha on the well known buying site right now. Thinking of trying them . . . The reviews are really positive. Not to abuse them, but to try and grab some health back from them. I have ME and feel unwell every day. One of the reasons why I'm always thinking to ctb these days. Because I'm so fed up with feeling ill every day and living such a limited life where I can't do much except stay at home. (Before corona virus made staying home a responsible hero type thing to do.) I'll pretty much try anything to feel better.
Just doesn't look like poppy seed tea is my answer. Oh well. Next potential solution.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019

Some claim that it's addictive, but I used it on a daily basis for half a year without ever getting addicted. It was basically the only thing that kept me alive during that time period.

If I grew poppies I'd have the pods right. Do you dry them out or just boil them?

If you grow poppies (i.e. papaver somniferum) you have to dry them to make poppy pod tea. However, if you grow poppies you can actually extract opium easily when they're harvested. However, that is illegal. Opium seems to be incredibly addictive, but I'd like to try it before I die.

I'm looking at ashwagandha on the well known buying site right now. Thinking of trying them . . . The reviews are really positive. Not to abuse them, but to try and grab some health back from them.

It's said that ashwagandha isn't addictive, but I haven't used it that much, so I can't swear by it. It makes most people feel very calm and harmonic.

I have ME and feel unwell every day. One of the reasons why I'm always thinking to ctb these days. Because I'm so fed up with feeling ill every day and living such a limited life where I can't do much except stay at home. (Before corona virus made staying home a responsible hero type thing to do.) I'll pretty much try anything to feel better.

There are legal ways to combat that, e.g. with ephedra and siberian ginseng. If I don't get any sleep I can still keep going all day with them. However, it's most probably unhealthy. I'm using energy I don't really have, after all.

applegreenicecream

applegreenicecream

Mar 22, 2020
Just ordered ashwaghanda capsules as apparently the powder tastes pretty rank. Even though I'm certain I'll ctb this year I'm still trying to find solutions to problems. One of which is feeling ill all the time. It's weird. Instead of taking ashwaghanda, why don't I just take my SN and be done with it. My soul doesn't want to be here anymore. It's so unhappy and always has been.
I guess I know taking the SN under lockdown at the moment is neigh on impossible. I don't want to do it with my children in the house. I don't want them to find me. My youngest is only 8. So for now I am trying to muddle through the pain and anger and sadness as best I can, with benzos bought online (which I'm running out of and now cant get because they stopped taking bank transfer) and poppy fucking tea. . . Which doesn't seem to do anything to me.
Sad times.

depressedpolyaddict

depressedpolyaddict

Chemical lab worker
Jan 26, 2020
If I grew poppies I'd have the pods right. Do you dry them out or just boil them? I'm looking at ashwagandha on the well known buying site right now. Thinking of trying them . . . The reviews are really positive. Not to abuse them, but to try and grab some health back from them. I have ME and feel unwell every day. One of the reasons why I'm always thinking to ctb these days. Because I'm so fed up with feeling ill every day and living such a limited life where I can't do much except stay at home. (Before corona virus made staying home a responsible hero type thing to do.) I'll pretty much try anything to feel better.
Just doesn't look like poppy seed tea is my answer. Oh well. Next potential solution.

Kratom grows tolerance pretty quickly. If you have opioid tolerance, then you will potentially only experience strong and tbh disgusting feeling dissociative effects (dirty Ketamine-like and possibly depends on the batch).

It also isn't particularly euphoric and can even turn hallucinogenic and dysphoric (due to potent kappa-agonism). It causes me mild to medium intensity closed eye visuals. Though, it is EXTREMELY sedating at high doses... I will give it credit for that.

Some claim that it's addictive, but I used it on a daily basis for half a year without ever getting addicted. It was basically the only thing that kept me alive during that time period.

It is dependency forming, as the active alkaloids Mitragynine and 7-Hydroxymitragynine are mu-opioid partial agonists. 7-HO-Mitragynine is about 17 times more potent in terms of analgesia than Morphine. But 7HOM is supposed to cause nasty headaches and hangover, which severely limits abuse potential. Furthermore, as explained above both alkaloids are also potent kappa-opioid agonists, which causes the same effects as Salvia Divinorum (hallucinations, extreme dysphoria, paranoia, feeling of impending doom, dissociation, delusions, etc.) and further limits it's abuse potential.

Really not my favorite substance.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Kratom grows tolerance pretty quickly. If you have opioid tolerance, then you will potentially only experience strong and tbh disgusting feeling dissociative effects (dirty Ketamine-like and possibly depends on the batch).

It also isn't particularly euphoric and can even turn hallucinogenic and dysphoric (due to potent kappa-agonism). It causes me mild to medium intensity closed eye visuals. Though, it is EXTREMELY sedating at high doses... I will give it credit for that.

It is dependency forming, as the active alkaloids Mitragynine and 7-Hydroxymitragynine are mu-opioid partial agonists. 7-HO-Mitragynine is about 17 times more potent in terms of analgesia than Morphine. But 7HOM is supposed to cause nasty headaches and hangover, which severely limits abuse potential.

Furthermore, as explained above both alkaloids are also potent kappa-opioid agonists, which causes the same effects as Salvia Divinorum (hallucinations, extreme dysphoria, paranoia, feeling of impending doom, dissociation, delusions, etc.) and further limits it's abuse potential.

Interesting. I've never heard of anyone who have had any adverse effects even resembling those you describe. For the record, I'm opioid naive and I only took normal doses, i.e. 3–5 grams. I never experienced any adverse effects, but I stopped using it because I felt that it interfered with my prescribed medication.

I've read quite a lot about salvia divinorum, and I very, very, very much doubt that kratom, or anything, can have the same effects.

Just ordered ashwaghanda capsules as apparently the powder tastes pretty rank. Even though I'm certain I'll ctb this year I'm still trying to find solutions to problems. One of which is feeling ill all the time. It's weird. Instead of taking ashwaghanda, why don't I just take my SN and be done with it. My soul doesn't want to be here anymore. It's so unhappy and always has been.
I guess I know taking the SN under lockdown at the moment is neigh on impossible. I don't want to do it with my children in the house. I don't want them to find me. My youngest is only 8. So for now I am trying to muddle through the pain and anger and sadness as best I can, with benzos bought online (which I'm running out of and now cant get because they stopped taking bank transfer) and poppy fucking tea. . . Which doesn't seem to do anything to me.
Sad times.

Obviously, legal highs don't solve any of my problems, but they buy me some time. Things might change for the better, even though the odds are bad.

I'm going to be honest with you. I have a friend whose mother committed suicide. She was in her teens when it happened, but she's still tormented by her mother's suicide 30 years later. If you kill yourself, you will scar your children for life. Only you know what's best for you, but make sure to think this through thoroughly before you decide to take the final step.

EDIT: Misunderstood depressedpolyaddict's post and made some changes.

Last edited:
applegreenicecream

applegreenicecream

Mar 22, 2020

It is dependency forming, as the active alkaloids Mitragynine and 7-Hydroxymitragynine are mu-opioid partial agonists. 7-HO-Mitragynine is about 17 times more potent in terms of analgesia than Morphine. But 7HOM is supposed to cause nasty headaches and hangover, which severely limits abuse potential. Furthermore, as explained above both alkaloids are also potent kappa-opioid agonists, which causes the same effects as Salvia Divinorum (hallucinations, extreme dysphoria, paranoia, feeling of impending doom, dissociation, delusions, etc.) and further limits it's abuse potential.

Really not my favorite substance.
I can't find any to buy anyway. And it doesn't sound very nice from what you've said. I love this group.
Interesting. I've never heard of anyone who have had any adverse effects even resembling those you describe. For the record, I'm opioid naive and I only took normal doses, i.e. 3–5 grams. I never experienced any adverse effects, but I stopped using it because I felt that it interfered with my prescribed medication.

Makes sense. I didn't read up properly on ashwagandha and unintentionally took a strong dose the first time. It felt almost like morphine, but I soon suffered nausea and breathing problems. I'll stick to normal doses.

Again, interesting. I've never heard of anyone who have had any adverse effects even resembling those you describe. I've read quite a lot about salvia divinorum, and I very, very, very much doubt that ashwagandha, or anything, can have the same effects.

Obviously, legal highs don't solve any of my problems, but they buy me some time. Things might change for the better, even though the odds are bad.

I'm going to be honest with you. I have a friend whose mother committed suicide. She was in her teens when it happened, but she's still tormented by her mother's suicide 30 years later. If you kill yourself, you will scar your children for life. Only you know what's best for you, but make sure to think this through thoroughly before you decide to take the final step.
Yes. I know. Thank you though for stressing this fact to me about my children. I know it will really hurt them. But I also think they will have a better life when I am gone. I struggle on my own. I'm ratty a lot. I'm ill a lot. We are not having the nice life I planned for my kids.
If I wasn't here they could have a better life, with 2 parents, more family support, a better quality of life. I don't want to hurt them . . . Or even leave them . . . But I'm not sure I can cope with this level of physical and mental pain anymore.

Last edited:
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Yes. I know. Thank you though for stressing this fact to me about my children. I know it will really hurt them. But I also think they will have a better life when I am gone. I struggle on my own. I'm ratty a lot. I'm ill a lot. We are not having the nice life I planned for my kids.
If I wasn't here they could have a better life, with 2 parents, more family support, a better quality of life. I don't want to hurt them . . . Or even leave them . . . But I'm not sure I can cope with this level of physical and mental pain anymore.

Look, I don't doubt for a second that you suffer badly. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here. Still, I do think that you owe your children to try really hard to find a way to cope. You have chosen to bring them into this world and you have to stand by your choice. Unless you abuse them really badly, I'm quite sure they will prefer that you stay alive. Maybe you won't find a way to cope, maybe the pain will be too difficult to bear, and maybe you will decide to kill yourself, but then you should at least be in a position to say, "I really tried."

applegreenicecream

applegreenicecream

Mar 22, 2020
Look, I don't doubt for a second that you suffer badly. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here. Still, I do think that you owe your children to try really hard to find a way to cope. You have chosen to bring them into this world and you have to stand by your choice. Unless you abuse them really badly, I'm quite sure they will prefer that you stay alive. Maybe you won't find a way to cope, maybe the pain will be too difficult to bear, and maybe you will decide to kill yourself, but then you should at least be in a position to say, "I really tried."
No I definitely don't abuse them. I'm a good mum. But I promise you, I have really tried. My whole life has been a struggle alone, through which I have really tried. I've had suicidal feelings since the age of 13. I lost a child years ago. That almost destroyed me. But I recovered. Then my 5 year old was raped at her school by 2 older boys. That destroyed me more. That was in 2017. In the space of 3 months I found out I'd had early menopause, would never have anymore kids, went on hrt and then 2 two boys raped my little girl, to which there were no consequences for them. I started using pills around that time and it came so close to destroying me again.

But once more i pulled myself together . . . And then my health started going downhill . . . I'm only just 40, but my body thinks it's much older. Full blown menopause, very high blood pressure, osteoporosis and ME. I think all my good days health wise are behind me now. Everyday is a physical struggle to do the simple things that need to be done. I don't have a good relationship with my parents and although I have a boyfriend he lives about 5 hours drive away and is never able to be here when I need him.
I'm just so worn out. Physically and emotionally.
My life has definitely gotten worse in the last 3 to 4 years and I believe will continue to do so. I'd like to leave before it has the chance to get more shitty.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Your life has really been an ordeal and I can understand that you're worn out. Yet, you can't ignore your children. How will your daughter handle both having been raped and having lost her mother at such a tender age? Who will take care of her? Will she eventually also end up in this forum?

You lament that you have an early menopause and can't have more children. Yet you claim that your children would be better off without you and are prepared to leave them. That doesn't really compute. I'm sorry, but I must ask. Why did you get children in the first place?

You say that you don't have a good relationship with your parents. If they really knew how you struggle and that you even want to kill yourself, could this perhaps change? You are after all their child. You have a boyfriend, so you're not alone. Have you talked with him about this? Does he know that you need his support?

Finally, what country do you live in? Is it a country with public healthcare, and can you get psychiatric treatment without getting ruined? You are obviously suffering from a depression and you might not be thinking rationally right now. I think you at least need to consider getting psychiatric treatment, if you don't get it already.