• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

If assisted suicide was legalised- would your family support your decision- do you think?

• Yes (I'm over 24)

• No (I'm over 24)

• Unsure (I'm over 24)

• Yes (I'm 24 or younger)

• No (I'm 24 or younger)

• Unsure (I'm 24 or younger)

Results are only viewable after voting.
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
So- if assisted suicide was made available to everyone- no questions asked. Would you inform your family of your wishes before you did it for starters? Do you think they would support you in your wishes- could you make them understand do you suppose?

I've split the pole into two- young adults up to the age of 24 and 24+. I've done that because some people feel more comfortable with the idea of someone being a fully developed (brain-wise) adult by that stage. Plus in many cases- I think even the most posessive of parents may have stopped viewing their offspring as 'children' by then.

I suppose I'm expecting more young adults to say their familes wouldn't understand. Even at my age and my circumstances- I think my Dad would struggle. I think he'd be more willing to accept it if I was ill. Especially physically ill. If I were to do it- I would tell him though. But- I probably know I couldn't while he's still alive.

• Hugs
Reactions: chloramine, Praestat_Mori, Ringo and 1 other person
Huntfish34

Huntfish34

Enlightened
Mar 13, 2020
Yep I agree, I'm 39 atm..... It would really depend on my reasons for doing so. Only thing I suppose they would support is if I was dying from some kind of terminal illness or close.... With No hope ..

Otherwise I am fairly certain it would turn into the typical... " things can change, it will get better, life is precious and beautiful, pick your head up.... " ..

Thanks for sharing this-

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Forever Sleep
strawb12

strawb12

-
Mar 26, 2023
definitely not but man I wish they would. They caught me in the act of my last method & ever since they've been a bunch of pro lifers.

• Hugs
Reactions: Peerless_Cucumber, Huntfish34, loopdaloop and 2 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I would hope so, but if assisted suicide was finally legalised for all then I don't see why other people's opinions would matter. It's our life, our decision but of course the legalisation of this for all just wouldn't happen, it's far too good to be true, such a thing is only reserved for animals, humans are expected to just suffer until they die anyway.

• Hugs
Reactions: NoLoveNoHope, dggtscccvfd, myusername890 and 2 others
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
It would really depend on my reasons for doing so. Only thing I suppose they would support is if I was dying from some kind of terminal illness or close.... With No hope ..

Otherwise I am fairly certain it would turn into the typical... " things can change, it will get better, life is precious and beautiful, pick your head up.... " ..
I fully agree with that! Same here.
it's far too good to be true, such a thing is only reserved for animals, humans are expected to just suffer until they die anyway.
This is so true!!!!

• Hugs
Reactions: dggtscccvfd, Huntfish34 and Forever Sleep
M

mlcs

Student
Jun 11, 2023
I wouldn't inform anyone. My family was never able to understand me and they for sure wouldn't be able to understand my desire to ctb now. I warned them couple of years ago that forced hospitalisation and drugging me won't fix anything. I was raised weak and not prepared that one day underage me will have to fight psychiatrists, social workers and my parents at the same time, all telling me I'm lunatic and have to accept help they r offering me. I didn't even know how to lie, I was just blank honest with everyone and they used it against me. Every thought that I had I said loudly, thinking that I can convince them to think about what they r actually doing through conversation. My family made sure there's no way out for me till I stop complaining about meds and just take it, treatening me with police and medics every time I tried to explain that I'm not feeling good just lying around quietly and not being able to do or focus on anything. I warned them about possible consequences, but never in my deepest imagination could I predict that I'll become suicidal. I still consider suicidal person as a souless, useless and worthless individual who has nothing to offer to society or even themselves anymore, and I'm now one of them. All I need to do is to make sure I die and no one but me has to do anything with it. I was never lonely, it's my choice now and I can basically stop it any time but I won't, because I refuse to live half of the life I was capable of and there's nothing left that I could offer to anyone or even myself.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Huntfish34, Praestat_Mori, Forever Sleep and 1 other person
Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023
The results seem pretty clear, so far lol. I think there are a lot of reasons that people take a pro-life stance without even considering other options. It could be a fascinating area of study in both health psychology and social psychology. Now that I think about it, there must be plenty of research, at least in the languages of places where assisted suicide is legal.

To look at the question more broadly, I think people first have to get past the cultural taboo of talking about and accepting that death is a natural part of life. Even something as basic as this seems hard for people, in my culture anyway (American).

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: NoLoveNoHope, Huntfish34, loopdaloop and 2 others
Parasitic

Parasitic

Tew
Jun 16, 2023
Gosh no they wouldn't, I get constant talks of hope or baby steps to make life worth living!!! :D :D :D!!!!!!... I would take myself to the place at some random time without notice nor a lengthy note outside of requests such as no funeral and all my shit to go to charity and a light hearted "in a bit"

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34, loopdaloop, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
Lostsoul333

Lostsoul333

Dec 5, 2019
I'm 35, divorced, no kids. My parents would be absolutely devastated, as I am their only child.

If this were possible I would have to make a recording or write a note saying goodbye and have it sent to them after the fact.

It makes me sad to think about them being sad. However, I've been depressed for many years now and I am tired of "living". It's not selfish to want to end my suffering.

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34, loopdaloop, _nohope_ and 1 other person
N

_nohope_

Jun 12, 2023
Ian also above 24. They would not support it but it would be a huge help for me to be able to explain my reasons. I really hope there is at least one country in the near future where you can do it in exchange for organs and/or money.

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34 and Forever Sleep
hellispink

hellispink

poisonous
May 26, 2022
No. Most families, most people in general would never allow others to decide for their own lives. Most people are prolifers.

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34, loopdaloop, Forever Sleep and 1 other person
M

mlcs

Student
Jun 11, 2023
It's impossible for someone who hasnt experineced it to understand the state of suicidal person. I wasn't able to until I myself became one. It's a vicious circle and impossible to get out of it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34, Forever Sleep and Lostsoul333
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Ian also above 24. They would not support it but it would be a huge help for me to be able to explain my reasons. I really hope there is at least one country in the near future where you can do it in exchange for organs and/or money.

I understand your sentiments but that's kind of dangerous territory I would think... The whole assisted suicide IN EXCHANGE for organ donation/ money. I suspect poverty stricken families well may start sacrificing themselves to support their families. The current system to just let them struggle- is of course unjust and immoral but- so is someone being paid (likely not enough) for their life. It would make people's lives/ organs commodities effectively. Yes- some of them may well wish to die but some probably wouldn't entirely- they may have done it to give their remaining family members a better quality of life. ☹️

Oh sorry- just realised I'm talking crap! We would be paying them after all and I suppose their families wouldn't gain anything. Hmmm- yeah- I mean- organ donation is definitely a massive plus for assisted suicide plus- it's already expensive! Seems kind of crass to turn it into a profit making industry but I guess- as needs must... Sorry- my bad. Don't know what I was thinking above...

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34 and _nohope_
N

_nohope_

Jun 12, 2023
Your point is very valid. It's just that I see that to be more likely than a country decides to do it just for the empathy for the suffering. Complicated topic but in the end I think everyone should be able to choose to live or not.

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34 and Forever Sleep
C

chloramine

Arcanist
Apr 18, 2022
I wouldn't tell them. I don't trust them and I don't want to talk to them about anything involving emotions. I might tell one friend, but just don't think I'd trust anyone else with that information. I'd leave notes explaining though. I don't know what my family would think or if they'd understand. I know they know what it's like to want to die but I don't know if it's to the same extent or if that would be enough to make them understand. I care more about my friends regardless. Once MAID is available for mental health issues exclusively I'm going to seriously consider applying.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep and Huntfish34
MeltingBrain

MeltingBrain

Mage
May 29, 2023
No, My parents are pro-lifers as far as I know .

• Hugs
terminalending

terminalending

-
Feb 18, 2023
Not in a million years. They're very religious.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep, Huntfish34 and jar-baby
jar-baby

jar-baby

Arcanist
Jun 20, 2023
It's a sin according to their religion, so no.

• Hugs
todiefor

todiefor

I hope I made some +ve difference in ppl’s lives
Jun 24, 2023
No my family would absolutely not support the decision.

I don't think they really perceive individuals morally have the right to die of their own personal reasons, legal or not, your life almost is owned by your family unit. The only caveat I can think of is if I had a terminal illness and the reason is that I fear i would put too much burden on them, then they would understand my reasoning because they would deem it to make sense from their value point of view, but would not accept it because they perceive it as a family's duty to look after your illness, physically, but definitely not emotionally, emotionally it is your duty to struggle in silence on your own.

• Hugs
SpiderLink

SpiderLink

they/them
Apr 3, 2023
I think the younger you are, the harder it is to get family to agree with your decision. As yourre "too young" to die

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
My mother was an abuser and my father a spineless enabler. They're motivations for me to suicide, not obstacles so I don't care whether they would support me or not. Judge me if you will.

• Hugs
J

JustWantOut500

Feb 15, 2023
it depends. Even if it were made legal I think it would take a long time for the stigma to go away, and I doubt anyone who's not at the point of wanting to CTB would change their stance for a long time. So I doubt my family would accept it. But I think over time the stigma would go away a bit. Would eventually become similar to the abortion argument where you have two sides, one that supports it and one that doesn't.

• Love
Tears_From_Nirvana

Tears_From_Nirvana

Seeking Fantastic Exit
May 21, 2023
Nobody in my immediate family could ever understand suicide as an option, they would do everything in their power to "save" me. It would be so comforting to die in my dad's arms but its just not likely

• Hugs
Sapphire

Sapphire

-
Nov 22, 2022
I don't think that most people's families would support their decision to ctb just because assisted suicide became legal. If they don't support you in your decision now, they wouldn't suddenly support your decision to end your life just because the government says that it's ok.

• Hugs
G

glendaaa

Student
Jul 11, 2023
My family might, but only if it was for a terminal disease.

• Hugs
Chara

Chara

Severe pain? But no gain.
Jul 22, 2023
They'd encourage it as long as nobody else would find out. Perfect chance to get rid of the child they never wanted without any blame falling on them.

• Aww..