I

its.all.gone

at the end we sleep4ever
Nov 3, 2023
Hi ya all beautiful souls!

I wonder if talk therapy really works for someone as broken to be searching for CTB methods.

would like to hear from people who were really suicidal and then actually truly recovered from talk therapy.

TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT, not CTB) is only one of the many modalities of psychotherapy, so I wouldn't equate CBT with "talk therapy" in general.

I'll get my biases out in the open from the start—I haven't gone through CBT therapy myself (my therapist is a psychoanalyst), and I rather dislike the way CBT "markets" itself. I don't dislike CBT itself, and I think many of its methods can be useful, but I dislike the push to equate talk therapy with CBT, and the way some proponents of CBT present it as if it had a higher effectiveness rate than other modalities. Spoiler alert: it doesn't. Additionally, a very close friend has been seeing a CBT therapist for almost as long as I've been seeing my analyst, and we talk about our experiences with therapy quite often. From what I've seen, and what this friend has told me about her sessions, I'm not desperately impressed by CBT.

Alright, that's out of the way now.

So, my main issue with CBT is that it decontextualises the patient. As the name advertises, the focus of CBT is on changing your patterns of thought and behaviour. "Re-framing" your thoughts is something that I've heard often. Say you struggle with social anxiety, and have a difficult time talking to people. A CBT practitioner will try to help you change the way you think about approaching people—"instead of thinking they'll reject you, think of it as an opportunity to make new friends". This is, of course, a simplification, but it illustrates the sort of work that CBT tends to go for. An analytic modality would focus, instead, on why you think that a stranger would reject you, and then the analyst would work with you to figure out what's going on in your psyche that triggers that feeling or reaction. CBT will tell you "try to think about it this way instead", a psychoanalyst will instead help you understand why you think about it that way, and once you're able to put a name to these things and understand why your thoughts flow the way they do, it's much easier to approach things in a different way.

CBT is about teaching you to do things differently, without asking "why are you doing things this way right now?" Psychoanalytic psychotherapy in particular will first help you figure out the "why", and once you understand why, you can free yourself from the patterns of thought and behaviour that keep getting in your way.

When I started seeing my analyst, I was very blunt. I told her I felt numb, didn't care about anything, and after a few sessions I told her about my suicidal thoughts and plans. She never judged me, or tried to teach me to think about my situation in a different way. We've been working for a while now, and she's helped me to slowly but steadily understand myself and my feelings more and more. These days, I'm not actively suicidal. I still think about suicide now and again, and I discuss it with my therapist when it happens. It's a process of understanding why I feel and think the things I do. It hasn't been easy, but it's been incredibly helpful.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep, Cherry Crumpet and its.all.gone
I

its.all.gone

at the end we sleep4ever
Nov 3, 2023
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT, not CTB) is only one of the many modalities of psychotherapy, so I wouldn't equate CBT with "talk therapy" in general.

I'll get my biases out in the open from the start—I haven't gone through CBT therapy myself (my therapist is a psychoanalyst), and I rather dislike the way CBT "markets" itself. I don't dislike CBT itself, and I think many of its methods can be useful, but I dislike the push to equate talk therapy with CBT, and the way some proponents of CBT present it as if it had a higher effectiveness rate than other modalities. Spoiler alert: it doesn't. Additionally, a very close friend has been seeing a CBT therapist for almost as long as I've been seeing my analyst, and we talk about our experiences with therapy quite often. From what I've seen, and what this friend has told me about her sessions, I'm not desperately impressed by CBT.

Alright, that's out of the way now.

So, my main issue with CBT is that it decontextualises the patient. As the name advertises, the focus of CBT is on changing your patterns of thought and behaviour. "Re-framing" your thoughts is something that I've heard often. Say you struggle with social anxiety, and have a difficult time talking to people. A CBT practitioner will try to help you change the way you think about approaching people—"instead of thinking they'll reject you, think of it as an opportunity to make new friends". This is, of course, a simplification, but it illustrates the sort of work that CBT tends to go for. An analytic modality would focus, instead, on why you think that a stranger would reject you, and then the analyst would work with you to figure out what's going on in your psyche that triggers that feeling or reaction. CBT will tell you "try to think about it this way instead", a psychoanalyst will instead help you understand why you think about it that way, and once you're able to put a name to these things and understand why your thoughts flow the way they do, it's much easier to approach things in a different way.

CBT is about teaching you to do things differently, without asking "why are you doing things this way right now?" Psychoanalytic psychotherapy in particular will first help you figure out the "why", and once you understand why, you can free yourself from the patterns of thought and behaviour that keep getting in your way.

When I started seeing my analyst, I was very blunt. I told her I felt numb, didn't care about anything, and after a few sessions I told her about my suicidal thoughts and plans. She never judged me, or tried to teach me to think about my situation in a different way. We've been working for a while now, and she's helped me to slowly but steadily understand myself and my feelings more and more. These days, I'm not actively suicidal. I still think about suicide now and again, and I discuss it with my therapist when it happens. It's a process of understanding why I feel and think the things I do. It hasn't been easy, but it's been incredibly helpful.

thx. I removed talk therapy from subject line

jinx <3

jinx <3

💮she/her🏳️‍⚧️
Apr 12, 2023
My personal experience with CBT has been mixed. I got along well with my first therapist, but my urge to kill myself never really went away. I was put on medication, which induced a manic episode, so now I'm on different medication. My first therapist in general was really great in that she didn't pity me or treat me differently once I had told her the extent of my suicidal thoughts. But I know that isn't the norm unfortunately. So it kind of worked, but also kind of didn't as evidenced by my still being on here searching for methods and stuff every so often. I'd still recommend it to anyone who thinks that there is a chance that it would work for them though. Best of luck <3.

Reactions: its.all.gone
Cherry Crumpet

Cherry Crumpet

Hiraeth
May 7, 2018
I never officially had CBT therapy, but I've read about it and printed out some worksheets. The thought distortions type of worksheets helped me.

R

Redacted24

Might be Richard Cory... or not
Nov 20, 2023
I'd personally love a thread about positive experiences from CTB, though, but maybe they don't have good signal there? :))