Please just tell me anything

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Flaw Detector, throwawayyy, Huntfish34 and 7 others
thx1138

thx1138

Student
Jun 28, 2019
Work is one aspect of life, but you still have time outside of it to do other things. And it's also possible to find work that you actually enjoy. Sometimes you have to try many different jobs first. Or be your own boss, so you feel less like a slave. Please take care of yourself. Your health and your life are way more important and valuable than money or wage slavery.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Source Energy, Huntfish34, ncmxm and 1 other person
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
Wage slavery is a fucking joke. But there is a glimmer of hope. Meeting other kind people at work. Enjoyable activities outside of work. Sure, suicide ends the slavery aspect but it also ends the little joys that can be had. It's not a great life. I'll give you that. But the goal is to manage your life and manipulate what you can so that there are positives. There's a dark finality to suicide. Some people are ok with that. For others, the glimmer of positivity is alluring enough to keep us here. You need deep reflection to decide which camp you're in. It's ok to change your mind from time to time. But suicide is a bit of a destructive force, it destroys bonds we have on this life. To good things and others. Does it matter? Not to you once you're dead, but if you care about anything in this world then it's a factor.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: throwawayyy, Huntfish34, Source Energy and 2 others
ncmxm

ncmxm

Experienced
Jun 9, 2021
Wage slavery is a fucking joke. But there is a glimmer of hope. Meeting other kind people at work. Enjoyable activities outside of work. Sure, suicide ends the slavery aspect but it also ends the little joys that can be had. It's not a great life. I'll give you that. But the goal is to manage your life and manipulate what you can so that there are positives. There's a dark finality to suicide. Some people are ok with that. For others, the glimmer of positivity is alluring enough to keep us here. You need deep reflection to decide which camp you're in. It's ok to change your mind from time to time. But suicide is a bit of a destructive force, it destroys bonds we have on this life. To good things and others. Does it matter? Not to you once you're dead, but if you care about anything in this world then it's a factor.
Thank you so much for your reply, I am honestly ready to give up the "little joys" but several people will be hurt if I ctb
Other than that nothing keeping me here

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, lukas19 and jodes2
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
Thank you so much for your reply, I am honestly ready to give up the "little joys" but several people will be hurt if I ctb
Other than that nothing keeping me here
That really sucks, I'm so sorry. I too am mainly just around cos I didn't want to hurt others. I realised that because of them I just can't do it, so I have no choice but to get the most out of the little joys. I guess you need to decide if you're willing to do the "selfish act" and leave everyone. It's a hard choice. Why should we suffer here for others? Sometimes the answer is "just because there isn't an alternative that fits". But each to their own. There's nothing like the sense of freedom that CTB can bring, but the realisation of the damage it would cause is a hard pill to swallow

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Huntfish34 and ncmxm
deadlymongrel

deadlymongrel

Forget Me Not
Jan 24, 2023
There is a lot more to life than wage slavery. Finding the small things you love are what will keep you going when everything else is on your shoulders. It's corny, but things like seeing the sun rise or going on a walk through the woods can help you realize that our problems are inherently human. Nothing lasts forever, and jobs certainly don't either. You can leave a job as many times as you want, but you can only leave life once. Looking for work that makes you feel good is worth a shot.

• Love
Reactions: Source Energy and ncmxm
ncmxm

ncmxm

Experienced
Jun 9, 2021
I realised that because of them I just can't do it, so I have no choice but to get the most out of the little joys.

This is exactly how I feel too, I tell myself "if I can't leave because of them I need to make my stay more enjoyable"

I hope you and I can manage to make our stay at least a bit more tolerable

There's nothing like the sense of freedom that CTB can bring, but the realisation of the damage it would cause is a hard pill to swallow

This is so true, on one side you have freedom and peace, on the other this realisation
It really is difficult to choose
In the past I hated them for making me stay

• Love
Reactions: nembutal, Source Energy and jodes2
N

never mind me

Student
Nov 7, 2022
I agree with the above replies about the importance of having a job you actually like and of it being helpful to be your own boss in some cases. However, finding a decent job one enjoys is often easier said than done and probably not possible for everyone (or at least not at a certain point in life). Even then, it might still be worthwile to question your assumption, that there are only the 2 options of either being a wage slave or ctb. Depending on your personal situation like your country of residence, nationality, education, language skills and work experience you might be able to reduce the amount of time you need to spend working enough to actually have enough time to enjoy your life. Options to do so would be minimizing your expenses by means like living in a shared appartment, living in a car, van or trailer park, saving food instead of buying grocieries, using an (electric) bike or public transport instead of a car and similar things. Another option would be to switch jobs or find a job in a region or country where wages are better. Yet another option would be using geo arbitrage, i.e. earning your money working in (or for a company in) a country with high wages (and conequently high costs of living) and spend it (or at least parts of it) in countries or regions with low costs of living (and consequently often low wages). This functions best with jobs that are 100% remote, otherwise you can work for a while to save money, then quit and move somewhere cheaper to live off the money you saved and go back to work once more before you run out of money. Obviously not all of these ideas are an option for everyone, but I think it may still be worth trying.

• Informative
Reactions: Bardo and ncmxm
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Hmm...

Well if you suicide then you can't steal from your boss ever again, or collectively bargain, or experiment with living off-grid as a crazy nomad or squatter. But idk if one's better or worse.

S

SeeminglyFine

Mixing pills with potions under the smoke alas
Jan 2, 2022
Well, as fucked up as it might sound i tell myself i could get cross faded while working and use some stimulants at home till i educate myself and i get knowledgable enough with whatever im daydreaming of freelancing and regaining my passion at and live to see if that might ever happen and what its gona feel like. .
when im sober i do the same, alas too addicted to do again.
But i dont work, though i should work.. i do so rarely. Thats what gets me going through the thoughts of working and through the times when i am working.

But i guess the point is not knowing what the future holds, specifically in terms of financials matters regarding this topic.

Also there does seem to be the option to move to another country and live for cheaper for a while and maybe then figure things out.

:hug:

Last edited:
Reactions: ncmxm
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I don't think anyone's mentioned the biggest argument. It isn't actually possible to predict what will happen, or how you will perceive life in another 5-10 years.

I unfortunately can't give details, but I started out doing the most demeaning possible casual job in the public transport industry. I once had to travel to the other side of the city for 45 minutes of paid work and buy my own train ticket to get there. My transport expenses for the day cost more than I earned.

Then one day a random guy offered to recommend me to his boss, and I was given a full-time job in the same industry. Then a few years later I was promoted and found a niche in which I was well respected. (It's lame trying to tell the story without revealing personal information, but hopefully you get the idea.) I was burned out by this stage because of all of my emotional baggage from family abuse and ended up quitting, but the point is that a great number of people end up progressing upwards over time and life is full of surprises.

To the other point, there is no 'correct' way to interpret life. Some people find a passion and are so enthralled with it that they lose interest in anything more than basic jobs. Often people are happy to tolerate pain for something they love (e.g., sportspeople). Or some unforeseen career direction is itself the passion. Or living in another country. Listen to life stories told by old people and you'll start to see the themes.

The fact that I'm still on this website proves that things can still go wrong over time, but nonetheless I can confidently say that you will view the world completely differently, in ways you couldn't possibly imagine, in several years. Our ideas about the future are all based on interpreting the past through some screen of thought, then trying to project it onto the future. Things never actually work out as you expect.

Reactions: whatevs, Celerity, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 2 others
B

Bardo

Arcanist
Jan 25, 2023
As someone who was in servitude for decades, ti does suck. Increasing one's skill set helps. Barbara Sher's books helped me. She doesn't rely on "positive thinking" bullshit; just actionable steps and barnraising (where you put a question to a bunch of folks and they give you ideas/resources). Might want to check her out. In the meanwhile, just know you're not alone. If you act, dance, write, paint, make music, there's a long tradition of doing jobs that allow one to survive while pursuing what you really dig. Even Edison and Orwell and Einstein had day gigs.
Keep on keepin' on.

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
The freedom you have in a working environment truly makes a big difference, as well as the compassion levels of your coworkers, supervisors, and anyone else you may be dealing with in your sphere of employment.

In my experience, when I was able to work more, the jobs that were the most tolerable were those where you could pass the time with good people and the work itself wasn't too physically demanding. No job is worth killing yourself for.

Usually, these were NOT professional, higher paid, office style environments, as those sorts of companies often impose a laundry list of rules, regulations, and procedures upon you that turn your life into a massive headache. The best employers are the ones who allow you to be a real, authentic, and genuine human being rather than forcing you to dress up and put on a sterilised HR endorsed act for breads and circuses.

I used to know quite a few people who picked up a skill like jewelry making, sewing, knitting, photography, etc and took on commissions and freelance work to make a living. This lifestyle was very enjoyable for them, because they got to make their own schedule and had more free time to travel and hang out with other people, while still keeping busy. If you're going to be self-employed, it's important something that takes up enough of your time to keep your mind sane, but not too much to the point where you're stressed out. The devil makes work for idle hands, as they say.

Idleness will drive a person mad too, so if you go down the tradesperson or be your own boss route you want to find a profession that's going to sufficiently occupy your time and mind enough to grant you some fulfilment.

Reactions: whatevs, Celerity, Pluto and 1 other person