Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Jun 28, 2021
Both next door neighbors have solo dogs. One neighbor when asked if their old dog wanted to come over and play with my dogs they said they were too old and wouldn't have fun. Their dog is not ancient. The other neighbors have a sweet dog who looks through small gaps in the fence. The guy brought her over once to play. She is young and has a lot of energy. Both dogs don't get walks. There is a type of puppy mill down the street...dogs in cages in the garage with puppies. I have called animal services on them once. Nothing changed. I found a sweet German sheppard a week ago. She stayed in the house the day and night...had so much energy and was so playful. At night she didn't sleep. Found her owners who live nearby. They are immigrants with many fancy cars outside their house. I gave them a cheerful card asking if the dog could sometimes come over to play. No response.

I really think dogs do better in pairs. Of course they do better getting daily walks.

Seeing her across the fence reminds me of past deep regrets...seeing her boredom sucks. Dogs need interaction and play...they need to explore....they need to have stimulation.

This is just like the horses I see standing alone. They really rock me to the core seeing them ALONE in all seasons.

I miss the dog I helped. I don't see her at that house. I wish I could adopt another dog...or cat....but I know I must go soon. It really sucks. I wanted to be a helper of animals for decades. But I know I can't.

ALSO: In rereading this it's clear though I have known this already...but in reading this I see again that it is essential for HUMANS to interact, play, explore and have stimulation. I get NONE of this.

Last edited:
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Modern life made stimulation obsolete and shields us from it. We don't need to be stimulated to survive anymore, so it's not happening, unless you seek it out by yourself at your own peril.

Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Jun 28, 2021
Dogs and animals don't comprehend 'modern life'. It might as well be 1901 in my room. Shit sucks...yes...I am aware that one must seek out stimulation

FTL.Wanderer

FTL.Wanderer

Enlightened
May 31, 2018
Both next door neighbors have solo dogs. One neighbor when asked if their old dog wanted to come over and play with my dogs they said they were too old and wouldn't have fun. Their dog is not ancient. The other neighbors have a sweet dog who looks through small gaps in the fence. The guy brought her over once to play. She is young and has a lot of energy. Both dogs don't get walks. There is a type of puppy mill down the street...dogs in cages in the garage with puppies. I have called animal services on them once. Nothing changed. I found a sweet German sheppard a week ago. She stayed in the house the day and night...had so much energy and was so playful. At night she didn't sleep. Found her owners who live nearby. They are immigrants with many fancy cars outside their house. I gave them a cheerful card asking if the dog could sometimes come over to play. No response.

I really think dogs do better in pairs. Of course they do better getting daily walks.

Seeing her across the fence reminds me of past deep regrets...seeing her boredom sucks. Dogs need interaction and play...they need to explore....they need to have stimulation.

This is just like the horses I see standing alone. They really rock me to the core seeing them ALONE in all seasons.

I miss the dog I helped. I don't see her at that house. I wish I could adopt another dog...or cat....but I know I must go soon. It really sucks. I wanted to be a helper of animals for decades. But I know I can't.

ALSO: In rereading this it's clear though I have known this already...but in reading this I see again that it is essential for HUMANS to interact, play, explore and have stimulation. I get NONE of this.
There's a slew of YouTube videos of dog owners recording their dogs to see what happens when the owners leave for work all day. These owners work very long days (10+ hours). The videos show these social animals suffering from isolation day after day. Many of the owners have the gall to respond to the video evidence that the dogs "just have to" get used to it. These humans CHOOSE to own highly social animals, then isolate them for humans' benefit, but then we stigmatize the animals for not fitting conveniently into our lives. Humans.

• Hmph!
Reactions: NumbItAll and Alwaysbadtime
Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Jun 28, 2021
There's a slew of YouTube videos of dog owners recording their dogs to see what happens when the owners leave for work all day. These owners work very long days (10+ hours). The videos show these social animals suffering from isolation day after day. Many of the owners have the gall to respond to the video evidence that the dogs "just have to" get used to it. These humans CHOOSE to own highly social animals, then isolate them for humans' benefit, but then we stigmatize the animals for not fitting conveniently into our lives. Humans.
Yes, it's so sad. I have a lot of pet guilt from times past. It's fucking awful for bored dogs and other animals. Doggie daycare is a good option though not everyone can afford this. Many dogs and animals suffer worse in countries that aren't 'dog friendly'. It's very hard to know and think about. Thanks for your comment.

Reactions: FTL.Wanderer
MiseryWithoutCompany

MiseryWithoutCompany

Doggo Good, Doggo Great
Oct 1, 2020
As a shut-in, I don't walk my dog and I haven't socialized her with anyone else other than myself. I had another dog, but passed from complications due to old age... so she's alone with just me.

In place of walking, we run about the house on occasion... I take her outside at night and we fart around the outside if the house... Dogs do deserve better. They honestly do. She is with me 24/7 since I'm a shut-in and all... I try to make up for things via creative play methods and spending long hours entertaining her via whatever methods she likes the most. (i.e. playing hide-and-seek, or chasing her...)

I think it can be done... but there are simply not enough people who consider the complexities of having an animal partner live by their side. Pets are seen as objects (especially outdoor pets...) and it's so disheartening. I wish I could afford another dog, but nothing seems to go right in search of one...

Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Jun 28, 2021
As a shut-in, I don't walk my dog and I haven't socialized her with anyone else other than myself. I had another dog, but passed from complications due to old age... so she's alone with just me.

In place of walking, we run about the house on occasion... I take her outside at night and we fart around the outside if the house... Dogs do deserve better. They honestly do. She is with me 24/7 since I'm a shut-in and all... I try to make up for things via creative play methods and spending long hours entertaining her via whatever methods she likes the most. (i.e. playing hide-and-seek, or chasing her...)

I think it can be done... but there are simply not enough people who consider the complexities of having an animal partner live by their side. Pets are seen as objects (especially outdoor pets...) and it's so disheartening. I wish I could afford another dog, but nothing seems to go right in search of one...
You sound like you are doing more than I did after things got super dark for me. I miss my other dog I couldn't keep and my cats. I worry about them everyday. Do you have a yard for your dog? I feel like a shut-in but I go to the grocery store and shit. I agree it's so sad how many dogs exist in boredom, neglect and misery. I would want another pet to save, but I don't want to as I want to exit soon. The person I live with takes good care of my dog and his...I don't do that much overall.

Thanks for the reply. I hope if you do exit your dog has a good place to go to.

Reactions: MiseryWithoutCompany
Kattt

Kattt

Ancient of Mu-Mu
May 18, 2021
Dogs don't "come out to play"!!!
They're not pre-schoolers
But this is a huge issue with all the people who got pets during lockdown and now are just abandonming them or leaving them howling in the garden all day
Dog poos on the patio-they clean it with disinfectant-dog licks at it-very sick and dying dog;-;

• Wow
Reactions: Alwaysbadtime
MiseryWithoutCompany

MiseryWithoutCompany

Doggo Good, Doggo Great
Oct 1, 2020
You sound like you are doing more than I did after things got super dark for me. I miss my other dog I couldn't keep and my cats. I worry about them everyday. Do you have a yard for your dog? I feel like a shut-in but I go to the grocery store and shit. I agree it's so sad how many dogs exist in boredom, neglect and misery. I would want another pet to save, but I don't want to as I want to exit soon. The person I live with takes good care of my dog and his...I don't do that much overall.

Thanks for the reply. I hope if you do exit your dog has a good place to go to.
I have a big yard, but both me and the doggo have horrible allergies... pollen, grass, etc. We only use a corner of it. Something out further in the yard causes her to have seizures so I try to keep her away from it.

As for exiting... I don't want to leave her, so I postpone any action until she's lived a full life. She needs someone by her all the time, since she's so clingy. I couldn't do that to her. (Though, I'll just keep feeling like that with each subsequent dog, giving me a reason to indefinitely postpone exiting....)

I'm glad you've found someone to take care of your dog. Seeing your passion towards these little guys reassures me that not all of our kind are heartless. And when you do finally exit, I wish you the most peaceful way out. :hug:

Reactions: Alwaysbadtime