Nightwillalwayswin

Nightwillalwayswin

May 3, 2020
My ctb is planned for this weekend. Does anyone know (and not guessing) to what extent people's phones are searched after suspected ctb?

I am planning to make it very clear, I just wonder how far they will look at private stuff in my phone to confirm this for the inquest/coroner's report? I would hope that they'll just look at some recent messages etc and not do a deep dive but I have no idea so wanted to ask.

Going through everything I don't want people looking at individually and deleting it is far too laborious and I need my strength for the task at hand.

I could delete everything in one fell swoop but if for any reason I fail and have to live for a while, deleting everything will be a nightmare.

Reactions: Pen>Sword and EmptyManForever
Swampy

Swampy

Antinatalist
Mar 7, 2021
If you use an iPhone and have a computer you can make an encrypted backup with iTunes. Then you can safely wipe your phone. If you survive or change your mind you can restore your phone from the backup. Since it's encrypted no one can use the backup without the encryption key password that you set. I'm not sure about androids though.

Reactions: WatermelonMel and UterEntonaur
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Depends on the region and specifics of the suicide, no? Can't really guess what's going to happen to your specific phone if you ctb.

B

Bensharp

Mar 18, 2021
I think if they suspect foul play, if they are sure it is just ctb. I am sure they will respect your privacy.

Reactions: Pen>Sword
LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Похорони меня возле МКАДа
Jul 4, 2020
If you use an iPhone and have a computer you can make an encrypted backup with iTunes
But it's only encrypted on the client side. This means that on Apple Servers it's stored decrypted and sometimes it can be that they give the data to authorities if requested (depends on country)

When it comes to Android, I'm very skeptical.. Most Android phones/Firmwares don't have that feature and if they have it, those encryptions are very weak.
The only encryption that I trust, is the encryption on GrapheneOS and CalyxOS, which is an firmware which comes with strong encryption, supports devices with locked bootloader and run on those Google Pixel devices.
The only way, where your data would be decrypted, would be by an bug or by an human error (bad password, writing down the password on a unsafe place/peace of paper)

Reactions: Pen>Sword and Some1's_Wasted_Fetus
http-410

http-410

nowhere
Sep 12, 2020
Regarding the iPhone backup:
It's possible to backup your phone locally (on your Mac/PC) instead of using iCloud. Personally, I'd never use iCloud or another cloud service for my personal belongings for the reasons mentioned by @LunarPyotr. I cannot guarantee how secure the backup will be in the end. I'd move it to an encrypted drive or encrypted container (VeraCrypt) or move the backup to an encrypted container on a encrypted drive. I'd also store the passwords locally (not in a cloud, but in a password manager or in the brain).

Reactions: WatermelonMel and Swampy
Nightwillalwayswin

Nightwillalwayswin

May 3, 2020
Thanks for the helpful responses. I will look into the back-up methods.

Depends on the region and specifics of the suicide, no? Can't really guess what's going to happen to your specific phone if you ctb.

1. I said 'coroner's report'. That is the UK.
2. I specifically requested no guesses.
3. I wasn't asking about my specific phone, obviously. I was asking generally about the process in relation to phones.

Please let's not waste each other's time with pointless responses.

• Hmph!
Reactions: augunique2020, WatermelonMel and GenesAndEnvironment
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
1. I said 'coroner's report'. That is the UK.
2. I specifically requested no guesses.
3. I wasn't asking about my specific phone, obviously. I was asking generally about the process in relation to phones.

Please let's not waste each other's time with pointless responses.
Sorry about that, I'm a very sloppy guy.

alown

alown

soon in the other reality where we come from ༄
Mar 13, 2021
you can just reset your phone, the best would be to get rid of your phone because even reset the authorities can recover data

Nightwillalwayswin

Nightwillalwayswin

May 3, 2020
you can just reset your phone, the best would be to get rid of your phone because even reset the authorities can recover data
"I could delete everything in one fell swoop but if for any reason I fail and have to live for a while, deleting everything will be a nightmare."

This would also apply to getting rid of the phone. I know that they can, I was wondering if they would.

Silver

Silver

The 21st century is when everything changes
Aug 8, 2020
If you have an iPhone, you could set it to erase your data after 10 failed attempts at entering the passcode.

I don't know how likely they will investigate the phone but they'll want to be sure it is suicide and not murder.