torimandy

torimandy

Fear is the mind killer
Aug 3, 2020
In America, if a pet is suffering, they do everything they can to make the pet better. If it is determined the pet's suffering cannot be cured the most humane thing is done as they end it's life as quickly and painlessly as possible as it is cruel to allow the poor thing they love so much to be in pain.

Can you imagine the outrage in the way they treated a suffering pet was to lock it in a small enclosed area with other viscous pets that are in pain, and then start giving it medication that doesn't really do anything and making it stay in that cage until it can convincingly say that there is no more pain and it's ready to go home, but it has to convince them.

The second is how people in pain are fixed. I wished we lived in a world other could have the same compassion for a suffering person as they do a pet.

• Hugs
Reactions: Pen>Sword, Fthis, Blue Rose and 9 others
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I've heard pets get put down with Nembutal and shit, too. Meanwhile we humans have to fuck around with ropes, blades, heights or try to acquire illegal substances. A very primitive society despite nearly having reached tech singularity.

Reactions: Pen>Sword, Fthis, wait.what and 2 others
torimandy

torimandy

Fear is the mind killer
Aug 3, 2020
I've heard pets get put down with Nembutal and shit, too. Meanwhile we humans have to fuck around with ropes, blades, heights or try to acquire illegal substances. A very primitive society despite nearly having reached tech singularity.
It is a simple matter of compassion. There is no compassion as far as other people go. They also do far more to attempt to make a pet better. In people they try to make you say youjr better and then it is so, even though they don't even listen to what your needs are.

W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
You're goddamn right.
We need assisted suicide/euthanasia asap.

• Hugs
Reactions: Pen>Sword, wait.what and torimandy
HarpoMarx

HarpoMarx

Jan 28, 2021
IMO, and from my sociologist point of view, this is just an speciesist choice. A pet's life is not conceived as sacred as human life (sacred from a strictly religious point of view) even though this pet usually becomes family and we treat it as such. Even being full part of a family, euthanasia with pets is an option since it doesn't imply an inner moral struggle (also because is legal. what becomes legal, normally ends up being accepted). At the end, they are just animals. Many "developed" countries still have a death row for the so-called "animals" (we need to dehumanize a person in order to make them deserve death), and those who don't have it, claim for it from time to time.

IMO again, euthanasia won't be widely allowed and extended until we stop separating religion from human life. Life is not sacred and something to be protected at all cost (even over personal freedom to choose the own death), and life belongs to each person, not to a god.

However, I still believe that we do exist because of (and as part of) families and groups. So suicide, normally, is not an individual and isolated act. With that I'm not saying that personal freedom should be then suppressed. I just try to say that personal decisions have group consequences and those should be kept in mind. But for what I have been reading in this forum, most of the people in here don't act impulsively and realise of the individual implications over the groups they are part of. They just cant handle it anymore and their personal freedom (in this case to cease) needs to get over.

Emile Durkheim (famous sociologist) wrote amazing things about the suicide and less boring.

Im sorry for my boring message. I thought it might be interesting for someone.

P.s.: Im anti-speciesist :)

Reactions: Secrets1, wait.what, it's_all_a_game and 1 other person
SmellyRat

SmellyRat

Arcanist
Nov 5, 2018
Here's a list of reasons why imo
1. Government doesn't want to lose its tax slaves to keep the economy wheel going
2. Big pharma making big profits by selling people treatments that don't work
3. Religious zealots and their pro-life lunacy

• Hugs
Reactions: wait.what and torimandy
torimandy

torimandy

Fear is the mind killer
Aug 3, 2020
Here's a list of reasons why imo
1. Government doesn't want to lose its tax slaves to keep the economy wheel going
2. Big pharma making big profits by selling people treatments that don't work
3. Religious zealots and their pro-life lunacy
It's my thought that in addition to your list, that to do this to us feeds the sadistic side of everyone that watches us suffer needlessly

Reactions: Pen>Sword
BornofDust

BornofDust

Student
Dec 11, 2020
While yes people do seem to treat animals better than human and some do seem to genuinely care about animals more than humans, this is basically only on a very superficial level. It seems like a lot of people love animals similar to how slave holders love complient slaves, when really when it comes down people care about animals even less than humans , since we have too remember that many places still cook pieces of animals( with some of the methods being literally boiling them alive), we still have a whole bunch of animal abused in factories and farms that is deemed unimportant, so a lot of people whether they want to admit it or not, only care for animals as far as they can be directly beneficial or at least not a nuisance and not as autonomous being with their own needs. Since it always relates to how their "better than humans."or relates to how it makes them feel better rather the animals as their own. Just like how we treat each other, just in a different way.

Humans are seen as a bit too burdensome with our demands and emotions "even though many animals have the same thing to an extent." So animals are seen as easier to deal with. Most of the time anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: HarpoMarx
BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
So often people are subjected to inhumane treatment. As you said, we are often kept alive and allowed to suffer immensely, unlike animals - the argument I often hear in defense of this is that euthanasia is "murder" and "playing God". Bullshit.

My mind also goes towards issues such as psych wards and solitary confinement. The way we go about these things really pisses me off. But that's another rant for another time.

Also, @Brick In The Wall I swear I'm not stalking you. This just seemed like a thread I could actually comment on...

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: BornofDust, Brick In The Wall and torimandy
torimandy

torimandy

Fear is the mind killer
Aug 3, 2020
I
IMO, and from my sociologist point of view, this is just an speciesist choice. A pet's life is not conceived as sacred as human life (sacred from a strictly religious point of view) even though this pet usually becomes family and we treat it as such. Even being full part of a family, euthanasia with pets is an option since it doesn't imply an inner moral struggle (also because is legal. what becomes legal, normally ends up being accepted). At the end, they are just animals. Many "developed" countries still have a death row for the so-called "animals" (we need to dehumanize a person in order to make them deserve death), and those who don't have it, claim for it from time to time.

IMO again, euthanasia won't be widely allowed and extended until we stop separating religion from human life. Life is not sacred and something to be protected at all cost (even over personal freedom to choose the own death), and life belongs to each person, not to a god.

However, I still believe that we do exist because of (and as part of) families and groups. So suicide, normally, is not an individual and isolated act. With that I'm not saying that personal freedom should be then suppressed. I just try to say that personal decisions have group consequences and those should be kept in mind. But for what I have been reading in this forum, most of the people in here don't act impulsively and realise of the individual implications over the groups they are part of. They just cant handle it anymore and their personal freedom (in this case to cease) needs to get over.

Emile Durkheim (famous sociologist) wrote amazing things about the suicide and less boring.

Im sorry for my boring message. I thought it might be interesting for someone.

P.s.: Im anti-speciesist :)
If life is that sacred, why don't they try to satisfy our needs instead of imposing their so wrong medication and therapy strategies upon us?
So often people are subjected to inhumane treatment. As you said, we are often kept alive and allowed to suffer immensely, unlike animals - the argument I often hear in defense of this is that euthanasia is "murder" and "playing God". Bullshit.

My mind also goes towards issues such as psych wards and solitary confinement. The way we go about these things really pisses me off. But that's another rant for another time.

Also, @Brick In The Wall I swear I'm not stalking you. This just seemed like a thread I could actually comment on...
The treatment in a mental institution is the allusion I was attempting to mimic with the narrative and is the most valid point of the post.

Last edited:
Reactions: wait.what and BornofDust
Donk

Donk

Useless since day 1
Jan 3, 2020
Human: " My application for assisted suicide got rejected after months of filling out forms and using what energy I have left to jump through hoops"

Dog: "What's an application?"

HarpoMarx

HarpoMarx

Jan 28, 2021
I

If life is that sacred, why don't they try to satisfy our needs instead of imposing their so wrong medication and therapy strategies upon us?

The treatment in a mental institution is the allusion I was attempting to mimic with the narrative and is the most valid point of the post.
IMO medicines are the only known effective/cheap way of keeping you here. Precisely because life is sacred, meds are successful. And if they are not, they lock you down. There are certainly other ways of approaching and "treatments" which require way more time, professionals and money. But that doesnt guarantee success (some of us dont trust professionals' help). On the other hand, meds are the easiest/cheapest way as they normally suppress your will (for some time).

torimandy

torimandy

Fear is the mind killer
Aug 3, 2020
IMO medicines are the only known effective/cheap way of keeping you here. Precisely because life is sacred, meds are successful. And if they are not, they lock you down. There are certainly other ways of approaching and "treatments" which require way more time, professionals and money. But that doesnt guarantee success (some of us dont trust professionals' help). On the other hand, meds are the easiest/cheapest way as they normally suppress your will (for some time).
Zoloft ave effectiveness time 6 weeks to 2 months, Came with prozac and every other anti depressant. Average time before release from hospital after begining these meds.............3 days. Chance of misdiagnosis 75%. Meds are a shot in the dark and do little to help. The reason people are detoured is the fear of landing in the hospital is being housed with dangerous psychotic people. Meds are a simple rationalization.
Zoloft ave effectiveness time 6 weeks to 2 months, Came with prozac and every other anti depressant. Average time before release from hospital after begining these meds.............3 days. Chance of misdiagnosis 75%. Meds are a shot in the dark and do little to help. The reason people are detoured is the fear of landing in the hospital is being housed with dangerous psychotic people. Meds are a simple rationalization.
The whole point is instead of addressing the things needed they stuff pills that don't work well.

The whole point is instead of addressing the things needed they stuff pills that don't work well.
Here was my experience. Everything paid for therapy and meds equaled about 2x what actually getting me the surgeries that would have fixed all the problems. The only people who made out like bandits were the psych people and pharma companies. kinda stupid if you ask me.

Here was my experience. Everything paid for therapy and meds equaled about 2x what actually getting me the surgeries that would have fixed all the problems. The only people who made out like bandits were the psych people and pharma companies. kinda stupid if you ask me.

Last edited: