NA90

NA90

Can you hear the wolf cry in a moonlight night?
Nov 1, 2020
Hello everyone, is there such a thing like the Peter Pan syndrome?

Reactions: sadworld and antigone_iris
antigone_iris

antigone_iris

Wizard
Oct 25, 2020
Yes, there is.

Reactions: sadworld and NA90
NA90

NA90

Nov 1, 2020
Think I got it then...

• Hugs
Reactions: sadworld and antigone_iris
antigone_iris

antigone_iris

Wizard
Oct 25, 2020
Think I got it then...
Same :aw: I found some articles online about this, and they had such a passive-aggressive tone to them. It's disgusting. It's not our fault society sucks and that society isn't empathetic and inclusive. It's just a mean rat race.

Reactions: Dead Horse, Disappointered, sadworld and 2 others
MichaelNomad123

MichaelNomad123

Jesus
Oct 15, 2020
I used to have this. I have always associated it with a fever I had as a child. I grew out of it after a number of years fortunately.

Reactions: sadworld and NA90

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I don't know what people mean by Peter Pan Syndrome but I 've seen the Peter Pan movie (1953) and can relate to the eponymous character to some extent.
I too prefer to live in a world of dreams and fantasies, over "real" (collectively-subjective) world, and think that freedom is preferable to slavery. And that everyday RL routine isn't worth my hassle. And that Neverland (non-existence) for me is preferable to the existence I'm having so far.

Same :aw: I found some articles online about this, and they had such a passive-aggressive tone to them. It's disgusting. It's not our fault society sucks and that society isn't empathetic and inclusive. It's just a mean rat race.
I've looked over some entries about this condition, and I think I'm noticing it too. Can't say I'm surprised. I would probably also refuse to treat well people who aren't contributing to my well-being or to those who I care about. Why would I treat nice someone who is not only worthless to me and everything I care about, but is also a parasite? Symbiotes are okay, parasites are not.

• Aww..
Reactions: Disappointered, ForcedLifeResistant, Sprite_Geist and 2 others
antigone_iris

antigone_iris

Wizard
Oct 25, 2020
I don't know what people mean by Peter Pan Syndrome but I 've seen the Peter Pan movie (1953) and can relate to the eponymous character to some extent.
I too prefer to live in a world of dreams and fantasies, over "real" (collectively-subjective) world, and think that freedom is preferable to slavery. And that everyday RL routine isn't worth my hassle. And that Neverland (non-existence) for me is preferable to the existence I'm having so far.

I've looked over some entries about this condition, and I think I'm noticing it too. Can't say I'm surprised. I would probably also refuse to treat well people who aren't contributing to my well-being or to those who I care about. Why would I treat nice someone who is not only worthless to me and everything I care about, but is also a parasite? Symbiotes are okay, parasites are not.
Please define "parasite". I'm quite sure that most people who have this condition, if that's an appropriate word, have something to offer to society. Does anybody care? I guess not. The problem is, in my opinion, that only the loudest and most "popular" people are favored. I don't believe that being shy and artistic should be labeled as disability. Also, I find it frustrating that most employers want experience right after one graduates. Does volunteering count? Where I live, it counts in theory, but in practice is useless. What can I say about the job market...? Without proper connections, good luck. I could go on and on about these things that make some of us look like "parasites". Sorry for the long post.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist and NA90
NA90

NA90

Nov 1, 2020
Exactly. Not sure I will ever Can ever enter that rat race.
Please define "parasite". I'm quite sure that most people who have this condition, if that's an appropriate word, have something to offer to society. Does anybody care? I guess not. The problem is, in my opinion, that only the loudest and most "popular" people are favored. I don't believe that being shy and artistic should be labeled as disability. Also, I find it frustrating that most employers want experience right after one graduates. Does volunteering count? Where I live, it counts in theory, but in practice is useless. What can I say about the job market...? Without proper connections, good luck. I could go on and on about these things that make some of us look like "parasites". Sorry for the long post.
Don't be sorry, you're right in every single word you wrote.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: antigone_iris

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Without looking into dictionaries, here are the key characteristics of a parasite I would define: It's feeding on someone else, doesn't give anything in return, and is hard to get rid of. Me, living on a welfare provided to me by the government or whatever institution represents the government, would be a parasite in relation to that government.

I think that people who write the articles about people who can be characterized as having Peter Pan syndrome are caring by voicing their dislike and contempt. People in my social circle either dislike or don't care that I'm not working for the benefit of society, and I'm not planning to. But they rarely, if ever, have expressed a liking for me because of my condition. Personally, I couldn't give less of a fuck if people dislike me, as long as it doesn't hurt my interests.

It's okay. I guess I could try make a distinction between a "parasite" who doesn't want to work (me), and a "parasite" who would like to work but is denied the opportunities (I'm assuming that's you). But then, if I were to feel capable enough, if I was interested in working, and if there would be a benefit for me, then I'd probably want to work too. I could also say that I'd like to work if certain conditions were to be met, but they aren't, so I wont.

I wouldn't have to feed of my family if they wouldn't be willing to sustain my life. I had a few near-death experiences, I mean close-to-dying experience of the "real" world, not dreams people have while unconscious, incapacitated, heavily drugged or something. If other people would just let me die, I wouldn't have to fulfill my biological urges by leeching off others. It's would be a win-draw scenario.

I hate this "weak life matters" policy.

• Hugs
Reactions: antigone_iris
NA90

NA90

Nov 1, 2020
Sorry everyone but this topic is running a bit out of topic. A person who has Peter Pan syndrome is a person who is stuck and thinks like a child, day dreams of a fantasise of a world who doesn't exist. Finds beauty in all the small things, refuses to grow up and is afraid of getting old. At least that's how I feel. I don't feel like a parasite.

• Hugs
Reactions: epic, Élégie, Disappointered and 3 others
antigone_iris

antigone_iris

Wizard
Oct 25, 2020
Sorry everyone but this topic is running a bit out of topic. A person who has Peter Pan syndrome is a person who is stuck and thinks like a child, day dreams of a fantasise of a world who doesn't exist. Finds beauty in all the small things, refuses to grow up and is afraid of getting old. At least that's how I feel. I don't feel like a parasite.
You don't have to feel like a parasite. I'm sure you're not. :hug: There are some mean people out there who treat this issue meanly (looking at you, Psychology Today guy with a phD), so this is where the discussion derailed a bit to the rather darker side of this syndrome.

Reactions: NA90

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Damn it. Now I feel like I have to explain myself. I was talking about the perspective of the writers who I think, as @antigone_iris said, have a passive-aggressive note in their articles about people who can be described as having Peter Pan Syndrome. I made an assumption that the writers are expressing dislike towards people for not wanting to work when they don't feel like it, or for being lazy. When I was saying parasite, I was thinking only about myself, but there may be other people who fit the PPS description but aren't leeching off others.

Short story shorter: No, you are not parasites. Or at least I can't know for sure. I was speaking for an entire group while thinking only about myself. My apologies.

Ed: A Small addition after reading a passage from psychotoday article.
An unwillingness to get working or stay working when you're not motivated. If you're only willing to work hard when you feel like it, you won't feel like it often enough. Working hard must be something you do; it's not a decision to make. It's foundational: believing that being productive is core to the life well-lived.
I think these people have no fucking clue what it's like to be consistently lacking the motivation to work. Motivation can be explained as a driving force that urges people to reach goals by doing (or not doing) things. So someone who works consistently and "hard" is consistently well-motivated. They say as if one can work "hard" without motivation to do so, which strikes to me as utter bullshit.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Dead Horse, Disappointered and antigone_iris
Lupgevif

Lupgevif

Jul 23, 2020
Psychology says there is. But I don't take psychology much seriously anymore.

• Hugs
Reactions: 262653 and Disappointered
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
I guess I have a bit of this. I didn't want to end up like that. I wanted to be more adult when i was a teenager. Nothing worked out.

Reactions: NA90
waived

waived

I am a sunrise
Jan 5, 2019
I think that this is mostly nonsense.