N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
When I hear stereotypes about Germany I recognize that.
Many people equate Germany with Bavaria. Though it is only a region. The country is more heterogenous. There is this special traditional costume which is worldwide known. Many people wear it on the Oktoberfest. I think there are beer gardens all over Germany. But I think they are more common in Bavaria.

In Germany there are different stereotypes for Germans from different regions. This probably applies to most countries. I can give you an example. There is the cliche Bavarians are often very self-confident, conservative, love beer, proud of their economy/companies, the special dialect, love their region and show this love to everyone.

In contrast to the that people from the north of Germany are often associated with being emotionally cold. The current chancellor comes from the north and he prefectly fits this stereotype. He tries to present himself more open and emotional since many journalists criticized him for that. But he is extremely controlled and can perfectly hide his emotions. That is often an advantage for his career. This trait was probably the reason why he won the election. His biggest contender laughed when he visited a natural disaster where more than 100 people died. Yeah and his contender came form a region where the people are usually portrayed as people with a very cheerful nature. This ruined his campaign completely.

To be honest when I think about the highest politicans from these regions the stereotypes fit pretty well. But in many many cases these stereotypes are of course wrong.

Are there similar patterns in your country? I think sometimes people equate people from the US with people from Texas. But there are also people from the East or West Coast with often way more liberal beliefs.

Last edited:
Reactions: YmirWarinhari and katagiri83
Caoine01

Caoine01

Experienced
Feb 23, 2023
I think there are reasons why Germany is equated with Bavaria. Initially, after 1945, the US armed forces were stationed in Bavaria. For this reason, many English-speaking people have primarily perceived Bavaria when they think of Germany. And since (bad) English became the "world language", this image has spread. In addition, Bavaria with its mountains and castles has a high recognition value. Easy to market e.g. in Hollywood. As far as the characters of the people are concerned, Germany was characterized in many places by the centuries-old stability of the village communities. The Bavarian farmer is no more quirky than his North German counterpart. but both are light years away from their direct neighbors in the Hanseatic cities of Hamburg, Nuremberg or Cologne. Currently, however, these borders are fading due to reunification, population decline and immigration.

Reactions: YmirWarinhari