Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
In my dreams, at least in recent years, the surroundings are often dull and worn-down. However, I don't realize that they're dull and worn-down when I actually dream, only when I wake up and recall my dreams. I wonder what this might mean, if anything, and if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: Silvermorning, botanormal, ecmnesia and 4 others
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
In what way are they dull and worn down? It could just be that your imagination is imitating the unique style of art that you find yourself so drawn to. Such as the art you've posted in this thread here.

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/schizophrenic-art.51752/

Reactions: Silvermorning, Deleted member 17331, Deleted member 1465 and 1 other person
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
In what way are they dull and worn down? It could just be that your imagination is imitating the unique style of art that you find yourself so drawn to. Such as the art you've posted in this thread here.

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/schizophrenic-art.51752/

That's an interesting theory, but they're more dull and worn-down like old Soviet hotels or something like that.

Reactions: Silvermorning and Deleted member 17331
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
Maybe that's how you see your current situation in life. For me "old Soviet hotels" sound not only drab and worn-down but uncaring/unloved. No one's glad to be there and the staff is indifferent at best.

Reactions: Silvermorning, Deleted member 17331 and Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Maybe that's how you see your current situation in life. For me "old Soviet hotels" sound not only drab and worn-down but uncaring/unloved. No one's glad to be there and the staff is indifferent at best.

That makes much sense. It could perhaps mean that I find my situation unavoidable in my dreams, but not when I'm awake.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Silvermorning, Deleted member 17331, Deleted member 1465 and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
You can do stuff whilst awake to mitigate against hopelessness. I think most of us employ a kind of wilful delusion in our lives, just to continue putting one foot in front of the other. At night however, and especially in dreams, those delusions utterly collapse and we have no choice but to confront our truths.

I used to love dreaming and kept a comprehensive journal. My dreams were of flying and adventures and having god-like powers. Now I dream of being abandoned, pushed beyond my limit with no resources to help me. I dream of my old home and being locked out of it. I dream of many things I'd rather not share.

This is when I actually DO sleep (think I had three hours last night and that in stages). I can get so desperate for sleep that I actually welcome the nightmares and having to face the truth; at least I know it means I'm asleep.

Also, the truth is often worth seeing, even if it's undesirable. You can't improve any situation without having an honest foundation upon which to stand.

• Hugs
Reactions: Silvermorning, Disappointered, Deleted member 17331 and 2 others
D

Deleted member 23374

deministrator
Nov 1, 2020
Does the loss of color suggest movement ?

Reactions: Silvermorning
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
You can do stuff whilst awake to mitigate against hopelessness. I think most of us employ a kind of wilful delusion in our lives, just to continue putting one foot in front of the other. At night however, and especially in dreams, those delusions utterly collapse and we have no choice but to confront our truths.

I used to love dreaming and kept a comprehensive journal. My dreams were of flying and adventures and having god-like powers. Now I dream of being abandoned, pushed beyond my limit with no resources to help me. I dream of my old home and being locked out of it. I dream of many things I'd rather not share.

This is when I actually DO sleep (think I had three hours last night and that in stages). I can get so desperate for sleep that I actually welcome the nightmares and having to face the truth; at least I know it means I'm asleep.

Also, the truth is often worth seeing, even if it's undesirable. You can't improve any situation without having an honest foundation upon which to stand.

That makes sense too. However, I forgot to mention something important. My dreams with dull and worn-down surroundings are usually not unpleasant, depressing, or horrifying. In fact, they're often very pleasant.
Does the loss of color suggest movement ?

The surroundings aren't colourless, only pale or washed-out. Be that as it may, your theory sounds interesting. Would you mind elaborating?

Last edited:
Reactions: Silvermorning and Deleted member 23374
D

Deleted member 23374

deministrator
Nov 1, 2020
Everything for me is visual,
when i fade, color follows suit,
as an example. So not necessarily spatial.
Then again maybe ?

we can manifest at different times
differently

just curious as to a connection
if any.

Reactions: Silvermorning and Sensei
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
In fact, they're often very pleasant.
That is unusual :smiling: Maybe you enjoy the lack of stimulus? Is waking life too stimulating for you and the washed out colours represent a safe haven to retreat to?

My dreams aren't in colour or black and white, I'm not even sure how that would work for me. My dreams are kind of in concepts and narratives. People change identities and I myself can be several people at once sometimes. I find it hard to understand because I imagine everyone thinks in a very different and unique way.
I also visualise in 3rd person. I see things happen to me as an observer, rather than from my own perspective. This isn't always the case, but when I do dream in 1st person, it feels very odd.

Reactions: Silvermorning, waived and Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
That is unusual :smiling: Maybe you enjoy the lack of stimulus? Is waking life too stimulating for you and the washed out colours represent a safe haven to retreat to?

Could be. When I wake up, I just think, "Oh? The surroundings were actually dull and worn-out? How peculiar."

My dreams aren't in colour or black and white, I'm not even sure how that would work for me. My dreams are kind of in concepts and narratives. People change identities and I myself can be several people at once sometimes. I find it hard to understand because I imagine everyone thinks in a very different and unique way.
I also visualise in 3rd person. I see things happen to me as an observer, rather than from my own perspective. This isn't always the case, but when I do dream in 1st person, it feels very odd.

Do you take hallucinogens before you go to bed?

Reactions: Silvermorning and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Could be. When I wake up, I just think, "Oh? The surroundings were actually dull and worn-out? How peculiar."

Do you take hallucinogens before you go to bed?
I wish. I've often wondered if my dreams are odd. Whenever I've described them to anyone I've usually received a shocked look in response. I used to assume everyone dreamed like this but I guess not. I also assume that everyone is different.

Reactions: Silvermorning, waived and Sensei
Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
Desaturation, or faded colour, is actually the most common visual distortion people report experiencing in dreams, by and large though, the visual appearance of dreams tends to look very much like reality. So why then, might you experience a commonly recurring thematic setting?

There are various different interpretations. If you were looking for a psychoanalytic explanation, you might say that the desolate scenery in such dreams represented a repressed sense of isolation and was perhaps a characteristic of depression. A more modern, neurocognitive explanation, would be that such recurring scenery has arisen from two avenues. Firstly from the input of whatever media you're intaking throughout the day, people who play a lot of video games, for example, will have more frequent dreams around fantasy or video game characters, with more prevalent themes of action. The same can be said of that kind of scenery.

Secondly, there is a feedback aspect. If you wake up having had a particularly vivid dream that involved such desolate scenery, and then expressed surprise or curiosity about the scenery, perhaps taking the time to recall it in the morning, the strength of that memory is increased and reinforced. Thus, the next time you dream, that memory is more likely to be activated again during another dream, generating the same scenery and further reinforcing the association.

These are oversimplified explanations of course, and all, some or none of them may apply to you, but it's nothing to worry about. There is really no deeper meaning to such scenery in the context you've provided. Generally speaking, the characteristics of most people's dreams tend to fluctuate, some dreams are very bright and vivid and colourful, others are more washed out, others are blatantly abstract - such fluctuations are absolutely normal, although the if most of your dreams are uncoloured or desaturated then it can be trained out to a certain extent.

Reactions: Silvermorning, waived, Sensei and 2 others
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Thanks for the extensive answer, SlowMo! It was an interesting read indeed.

Desaturation, or faded colour, is actually the most common visual distortion people report experiencing in dreams, by and large though, the visual appearance of dreams tends to look very much like reality. So why then, might you experience a commonly recurring thematic setting?

I must admit that I was completely unaware that desaturation in dreams is such a common phenomenon. However, it's not only a question of colour, but also of wear.

There are various different interpretations. If you were looking for a psychoanalytic explanation, you might say that the desolate scenery in such dreams represented a repressed sense of isolation and was perhaps a characteristic of depression.

The more I think about it, the more likely this explanation seems. For the time being, I'm not struggling with depression (I'm bipolar and currently free of symptoms), but I am de facto semi-isolated.

A more modern, neurocognitive explanation, would be that such recurring scenery has arisen from two avenues. Firstly from the input of whatever media you're intaking throughout the day, people who play a lot of video games, for example, will have more frequent dreams around fantasy or video game characters, with more prevalent themes of action. The same can be said of that kind of scenery.

This is an interesting theory and it may have some bearing in reality. I'm very fond of dystopian and postapocalyptic fiction so this could hypothetically "leak" into my dreams.

Secondly, there is a feedback aspect. If you wake up having had a particularly vivid dream that involved such desolate scenery, and then expressed surprise or curiosity about the scenery, perhaps taking the time to recall it in the morning, the strength of that memory is increased and reinforced. Thus, the next time you dream, that memory is more likely to be activated again during another dream, generating the same scenery and further reinforcing the association.

Like a loop? Could be so.

These are oversimplified explanations of course, and all, some or none of them may apply to you, but it's nothing to worry about. There is really no deeper meaning to such scenery in the context you've provided. Generally speaking, the characteristics of most people's dreams tend to fluctuate, some dreams are very bright and vivid and colourful, others are more washed out, others are blatantly abstract - such fluctuations are absolutely normal, although the if most of your dreams are uncoloured or desaturated then it can be trained out to a certain extent.

Sounds reassuring. It's more of a peculiarity than a nuisance, really.

Reactions: Silvermorning, Giraffey and Deleted member 1465