mattwitt

mattwitt

# 978
Jun 28, 2018
I don't know about this. When minimum wage goes up employers have to get rid of employees, cut remaining employees hours and make them work harder to make up for the employees they were forced to get rid of and to maintain the profit they were making before the wage increase.

Reactions: Final Escape and Fragile
Racee

Racee

Jan 6, 2020
Is the story trying to say that "Money fixes all problems"...at least where suicide comes into play??

Reactions: Egddios, Fragile and mattwitt
lmroch

lmroch

Experienced
Jun 24, 2019
I have seen these articles. One dollar doesn't cover the cost of gallon of milk, annual rent increases, car expenses (if someone can actually afford one), new shoes, a book needed for school. There is sooo much more that needs to happen.

The New York Times - "The Soaring Rate of Suicide by Young People" - First, and perhaps most challenging, we need to address some of the underlying causes: a profoundly broken economy that robs young people of opportunities for a healthy and productive life, a constant news cycle full of dire predictions, and, of course, access to lethal means like guns.

The first steps to treatment ignores the fact that we face a dire shortage of medical professionals, especially psychiatrists like Dr. Friedman himself, who can properly prescribe medication and provide accompanying therapy — the combination proven most effective in treating both depression and anxiety.

"a time of relentless school shootings and obvious evidence of climate change that the depression of teenagers is attributed to media and drugs" - "the causes of young people's depression and despair: the isolation, cyber-preoccupation and bullying he mentions, and the feelings of inadequacy and uncertainty that fuel and compound them"

Usa suicide stats

Depression

Reactions: Egddios, Fragile, mattwitt and 1 other person
L

lofistos345

Experienced
Oct 6, 2019
I have seen these articles. One dollar doesn't cover the cost of gallon of milk, annual rent increases, car expenses (if someone can actually afford one), new shoes, a book needed for school. There is sooo much more that needs to happen.

The New York Times - "The Soaring Rate of Suicide by Young People" - First, and perhaps most challenging, we need to address some of the underlying causes: a profoundly broken economy that robs young people of opportunities for a healthy and productive life, a constant news cycle full of dire predictions, and, of course, access to lethal means like guns.

The first steps to treatment ignores the fact that we face a dire shortage of medical professionals, especially psychiatrists like Dr. Friedman himself, who can properly prescribe medication and provide accompanying therapy — the combination proven most effective in treating both depression and anxiety.

"a time of relentless school shootings and obvious evidence of climate change that the depression of teenagers is attributed to media and drugs" - "the causes of young people's depression and despair: the isolation, cyber-preoccupation and bullying he mentions, and the feelings of inadequacy and uncertainty that fuel and compound them"

I didn't like the New York Times article. It misses the point of not having a proper mental health setup and tries to blame midia and drugs. Not even the mental health care of doctors are being taken care of. USA is a country going crazy in some many ways. It's sad.

Reactions: Egddios
CynicalHopelessness

CynicalHopelessness

Messenger of Silence
Jan 9, 2020
Hopelessness is systemic, and you can't just have a one simple solution. But it can be reduced to some degree for those who are in precarious position financially.
You can't just solve it with throwing more money, you'd get diminishing returns (I'd guess at the point where one can securely buy a house after reasonable time at work, or save enough for a few months off work).

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Just that it's not the only problem.

I also chuckled at "access to lethal means" in NYT. Reminds me of the situation with abortion prohibition attempts (they failed to reduce actual number of abortions, but increased the risk of woman's death so far every time it has been tried).

Reactions: Skathon and Ame
Shinbu

Shinbu

Shiki
Nov 23, 2019
Would that though?. I dunno in my case. I'm not worried about the minimum wage. Increasing it wouldn't stop me from ctb. I have philosophical issues. Minimum wage being increased wouldn't solve it.

L

lofistos345

Experienced
Oct 6, 2019
Hopelessness is systemic, and you can't just have a one simple solution. But it can be reduced to some degree for those who are in precarious position financially.
You can't just solve it with throwing more money, you'd get diminishing returns (I'd guess at the point where one can securely buy a house after reasonable time at work, or save enough for a few months off work).

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Just that it's not the only problem.

I also chuckled at "access to lethal means" in NYT. Reminds me of the situation with abortion prohibition attempts (they failed to reduce actual number of abortions, but increased the risk of woman's death so far every time it has been tried).

The issue is wage stagnation. Americans no longer afford the basics. Buying a home is becoming impossible. Many people working multiple jobs. No healthcare access. All of these things combined stressess the sane person trying to make ends meet. A better wage does help with that.

CynicalHopelessness

CynicalHopelessness

Messenger of Silence
Jan 9, 2020
The issue is wage stagnation. Americans no longer afford the basics. Buying a home is becoming impossible. Many people working multiple jobs. No healthcare access. All of these things combined stressess the sane person trying to make ends meet. A better wage does help with that.
Of course, I agree wholeheartedly and I wish it was just done so there are less people going through despair I went through, whatever their reason is.

That's not the only issue though, and certainly would do nothing for me (I'm neither American nor a minimum wage worker), and for @Shinbu too, it seems.

Reactions: lofistos345
Freedom Believer

Freedom Believer

Forever alone.
Dec 23, 2019
Money can only help so much.

Reactions: Fragile, Broken Chimera, lofistos345 and 1 other person
L

lofistos345

Experienced
Oct 6, 2019
Money can only help so much.

At least for the majority of people not making them suffer the state of being in poverty is a blessing. Poverty and misery does so much bad for the human soul.

Reactions: Broken Chimera and CynicalHopelessness
WhyIsLife56

WhyIsLife56

Antinatalism + Efilism ❤️
Nov 4, 2019
Money doesn't fix everything. What about the people that have all the money but realize life is empty and commit suicide? You can still get depressed even with all the money.

Reactions: Egddios
Naysha

Naysha

Antinatalist+Goth
Jan 13, 2020
I had discussions about it elsewhere but to me it wouldn't change a thing. If you truly look at the world how it is you quickly realize that consciousness was mistake in such cruel uncaring universe.

Reactions: Skathon, TheNorthernSilence, Shinbu and 1 other person
WhyIsLife56

WhyIsLife56

Antinatalism + Efilism ❤️
Nov 4, 2019
I had discussions about it elsewhere but to me it wouldn't change a thing. If you truly look at the world how it is you quickly realize that consciousness was mistake in such cruel uncaring universe.
I would go further and say existence was a mistake

Reactions: Skathon
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
Probabilistically it might decrease suicide as money can increase the possibility of distractions. However, money won't solve any other inherent problems in the life, systems and humans. Money can't undo the atrocities happened in life or suffering.
Actually money and resources itself is a problem and many people fight over it, wars in the world starts because of it and countless people die. Life is absurd and money (the illusionary number) is a distraction and not a solution.

Reactions: Shinbu
Y

yesitsme39

Nov 15, 2019
So your answer is the government. Isn't that problem to begin with? Being dependent on the government hence a weaker population? Weaker people?

Reactions: Final Escape and Broken Chimera
shoganai

shoganai

Jan 14, 2020
I hate to be a downer, but money doesn't solve most problems. Plus, there are unfortunately a lot of consequences that come from raising minimum wage; one person here mentioned cutting hours to make up for increased wages, for example.

Reactions: Broken Chimera
Broken Chimera

Broken Chimera

The abyss also gazes into you
May 27, 2019
A wage increase wouldn't help. I know where I used to work, they kept mostly everyone except managers on part time. They'll figure out a way to screw you in the end.
So your answer is the government. Isn't that problem to begin with? Being dependent on the government hence a weaker population? Weaker people?
Idk who said it first but government isn't the solution to the problem, they ARE the problem.

Reactions: shoganai
shoganai

shoganai

Jan 14, 2020
A wage increase wouldn't help. I know where I used to work, they kept mostly everyone except managers on part time. They'll figure out a way to screw you in the end.

Idk who said it first but government isn't the solution to the problem, they ARE the problem.
Agreed. God, we're screwed.

Reactions: Broken Chimera
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Many people cannot understand that institutionalized violence on the citizens is the true root cause of so many of the problems u see in society. So basically the government is a criminal enterprise using force, violence, coercion, to get people to produce to serve the interests of those in power. This is why u can go to jail for being too poor or mentally ill through no fault of your own. If u are not serving the people in power they will lock u up basically or make it so it's hard for u to live. It's a very cruel system. Minimum wages hurt the poorest people but it's not easy to see because u only see the raising of the min wage but u don't see the hidden costs when employers are forced to artificially raise wages.

Last edited:
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
All good answers, and my two cents are that, while yes, increasing minimum wage can help people who are suicidal due to financial circumstances and/or solve their problems related to money, it wouldn't solve either the damage done already, other things the person is going though, and of course, philosophical or other personal views on life. Some people may lead a moderately successful life but still struggle with existential related issues, or have other things going on that they don't deem life to be worthwhile.

Reactions: Skathon, Final Escape and Woodnote