gingerplum

gingerplum

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2018
So, I know between this and the "night night" method this has been discussed ad infinitum, but I wanted to specifically share my experience with near success and consequences.

Seems so hard for most of us to pull off, yet somehow Alexander McQueen, Robin Williams, Anthony Bourdain, L'Wren Scott, and Kate Spade all pulled it off... Spade and Scott with aplomb, via designer scarves. Not to mention all the people (David Carradine and Michael Hutchence come to mind) who ctb accidentally during autoerotic asphyxiation.

Lots of discussion regarding materials; mostly I see people talking about ropes and ratchet straps.

I tried neckties with nothing but unpleasant blood rushing to my head and painful eye pressure until I felt ridiculous. Then I remembered: Robin Williams hung himself with a belt.

I took a leather belt about 1, maybe 1.5 inches wide, and looped it thru the buckle, leaving it loose, meaning not inserting the prong into any of the holes. I then took the free end and closed it in the door, between the door and the doorframe.

I sat on the floor and put the looped end around my neck, bringing up as high as possible under the jawline. It was self-tightening as I leaned forward, with minimal slack.

This time I think I was occluding just my jugular, or maybe my carotids, too, I don't know, because not only was there no unpleasant blood rush or eye pressure, I rapidly lost consciousness (maybe 15-20 seconds).

What happened? The doorknob hadn't properly latched into the strike plate, so the weight of my body pushed the door open, I spilled out on to the floor, and the pressure the belt was exerting was released. Wedging the belt in the doorframe was effective placement, and held very securely, but it prevented the doorknob from clicking into place.

The upshot of this is, make sure you hear the "click" of the door properly closing.

So. Worst case scenario in any hanging is an anoxic injury causing brain damage; this is why you need to ensure you won't be discovered. In my case, it seems I injured my lingual nerve, and my tongue has been numb & tingling with that kind of pins & needles sensation. It's been about 4 weeks, and it's slowly subsiding.

I haven't tried it since. Honestly, just knowing that I can do it if I want to has given me a sense of control that does make me feel better. I think for me at least, the belt was the perfect size & width, with the right amount of "slip" to easily tighten.

It's nice to think I could repeat this anytime I'm ready. Somehow that feeling of control makes me feel less hopeless.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, TiredHorse, Sanguinius and 3 others
A

Angel

Dec 2, 2018
So, I know between this and the "night night" method this has been discussed ad infinitum, but I wanted to specifically share my experience with near success and consequences.

Seems so hard for most of us to pull off, yet somehow Alexander McQueen, Robin Williams, Anthony Bourdain, L'Wren Scott, and Kate Spade all pulled it off... Spade and Scott with aplomb, via designer scarves. Not to mention all the people (David Carradine comes to mind) who ctb accidentally during autoerotic asphyxiation.

Lots of discussion regarding materials; mostly I see people talking about ropes and ratchet straps.

I tried neckties with nothing but unpleasant blood rushing to my head and painful eye pressure until I felt ridiculous. Then I remembered: Robin Williams hung himself with a belt.

I took a leather belt about 1, maybe 1.5 inches wide, and looped it thru the buckle, leaving it loose, meaning not inserting the prong into any of the holes. I then took the free end and closed it in the door, between the door and the doorframe.

I sat on the floor and put the looped end around my neck, bringing up as high as possible under the jawline. It was self-tightening as I leaned forward, with minimal slack.

This time I think I was occluding just my jugular, or maybe my carotids, too, I don't know, because not only was there no unpleasant blood rush or eye pressure, I rapidly lost consciousness (maybe 15-20 seconds).

What happened? The doorknob hadn't properly latched into the strike plate, so the weight of my body pushed the door open, I spilled out on to the floor, and the pressure the belt was exerting was released. Wedging the belt in the doorframe was effective placement, and held very securely, but it prevented the doorknob from clicking into place.

The upshot of this is, make sure you hear the "click" of the door properly closing.

So. Worst case scenario in any hanging is an anoxic injury causing brain damage; this is why you need to ensure you won't be discovered. In my case, it seems I injured my lingual nerve, and my tongue has been numb & tingling with that kind of pins & needles sensation. It's been about 4 weeks, and it's slowly subsiding.

I haven't tried it since. Honestly, just knowing that I can do it if I want to has given me a sense of control that does make me feel better. I think for me at least, the belt was the perfect size & width, with the right amount of "slip" to easily tighten.

It's nice to think I could repeat this anytime I'm ready. Somehow that feeling of control makes me feel less hopeless.
YeYes it's makes me mad when many others have successfully succeeded in this way. I've given up on scarfs, didn't work going to try Chris Cornell s method a exercise belt over to door or rope.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and gingerplum
Purgatory

Purgatory

Oracle
Mar 21, 2018
Last February, I also failed with this method when the door popped open. Something to keep in mind is to use the side of the door so that your weight is pulling it shut.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and gingerplum