M

Mthom2

Student
Oct 19, 2020
This thread is for all you parents and those of you who are considering a possible future with children. Really, anyone who has an opinion is welcome to share.

I had my daughter when I was 21 and my son when I was 23. Back then, I was still sold on life, marriage, and procreation. You know, the whole 9 yards of the American dream.

Circumstances happened, and I ended up raising both as a single mother from their toddler years into adulthood. Don't let my current opinion about procreation fool you. I love my kids more than anything. This incredible love I have for them makes it worse.

As I've aged and really experienced what life is truly about, I have come to the conclusion that the most selfish act a person could do is to bring a child into this world who will inevitably experience an untold amount of pain and suffering, only to then die in the end. How can we inflict life onto another creature?

As much as I love my children, I deeply regret bringing them into this horrible world. I committed the worst possible act in thoughtlessly having them.

What are your options? Do you think that what little good a person experiences while alive justifies the unimaginable suffering that happens daily?

Reactions: Silvermorning
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
i personally feel that just because one person had a bad life doesnt mean the next will and you shouldnt judge anyones life (past, present or future) on what ones life is because everyone is different. some people enjoy life and others dont. it all depends on the hand you were dealt and how you play it. its like kenny rogers said:
You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done.

G

Givingupandgivingin

Oct 18, 2020
I wish I hadn't had mine.
I've had everything. Great family. Loads of opportunities. And I'm a failure - and I've spend most of my life wishing I wasn't here.
I thought - selfishly - they would make me feel more complete. They don't. They are relentless and hard and make me feel worse. Their lives aren't likely to be any better than mine, worse probably.
I don't see any hope of anything else. My son is now nearly a teenager and is already unhappy. My daughter is 4 and is full of joy but it won't last.
I don't want to be here anymore. I hang on in because of survival instinct, that's the only thing I can think it is, because every day is just overwhelming anxiety and distress.

• Aww..