T

Twilight

Mar 15, 2020
Does anyone know if overdose on medication like sertraline is possible?

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
Does anyone know if overdose on medication like sertraline is possible?

Possible? Of course. Fatal? Practically never.

iu
Almost all prescription medications are made to be relatively safe and non-fatal in overdose. Psychiatric medications, by virtue of the patient population who will be taking them, are engineered to be even more so.

Reactions: Midnight-rain, I screwed up and GoneGoneGone
T

Twilight

Mar 15, 2020
Possible? Of course. Fatal? Practically never.

iu
Almost all prescription medications are made to be relatively safe and non-fatal in overdose. Psychiatric medications, by virtue of the patient population who will be taking them, are engineered to be even more so.
Good to know. Thanks

Reactions: autumnal
Werewolf

Werewolf

Without shelter
May 12, 2020
Can you overdose on antidepressants? Of course.
Will it kill you? Probably not.

With modern ssri and snri medications being designed to be safe even when overdosed it's pretty much impossible to ingest enough to cause death. apart from a few brands (venlafaxine for example)
Older TCA or tricyclic antidepressants however are fairly deadly if overdosed but are generally not prescribed unless modern equivalents have proven non-effective.
It's however not a peaceful way to go, the process is long and with symptoms like vomiting, seizures, hallucinations, tachycardia etc. I wouldn't recommend trying it.

Reactions: cytokinestorm and autumnal
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
What about old 5 mg oxycontin, not the slow release kind?

E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
It's possible to cause a fatal heart attack, but the chances aren't that high. Could just cause a number of non-fatal complications/unpleasant side effects.
Probably best not to take the risk with oxycontin.

Werewolf

Werewolf

Without shelter
May 12, 2020

5 mg Is what they prescribe to kids. Even without opioid tolerance you most likely won't feel a thing.
I'm getting the feeling that you're reaching for straws here. Downing a few antidepressants and a tab of oxy won't kill you, it will make you feel way worse and at best it will end up in a visit to the ER with suicidal stamped in your journal. Trust me you do not wanna go down that road.

Reactions: autumnal and charlottewilts
L

Living sucks

Forced out of life before I wanted to leave
Mar 27, 2020
Just to give you an idea of an overdose. Not a good idea unless you're 100% sure it's fatal

SN is my next, but I did 5.5g of amitriptyline, ~10mg lorazepam, 500mg diphenhydramine, 500mg quetiapine, probably 500mL bourbon. It was 100% peaceful and left me with probably less than 10 minutes to live when I was found ~29 hours later. Spent over a week in a coma and was mistakenly declared brain dead, was within 2 hours of having my organs harvested.
I do, I suffered a anoxic brain injury and nerve palsy among other things. My life is changed forever. I should have added this method is probably reliable enough, but nowhere near SN. You would need lots of time to not be found. I'd recommend 72 hours, and recommend you crush the amitriptyline, I did not. I did not look up methods, I created my own that day. I was not a member of SS. I am far worse off after failing that day. I barely have the use of my left (dominant) hand. I can't feel my left arm or leg. I lost no long term memories but my short term working memory is compromised. I used to speak German fluently but now I can only read it and listen. Russian I spoke somewhat, but now I can only read it, I can only kind of understand it while listening. I am much slower cognitively. It takes full concentration for me to drive a car now, but I used to race cars. I can't write anymore. I had to learn how to walk again. Literally had to learn how to breathe again, it took me a whole week after I woke up to get off the ventilator. Neuro told me I lost about 1/4 of my brain. They can't believe I'm even able to speak or remember my name.

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
I've got more than one.

iu
FYI it is typical and far more useful to refer to the total quantity of a medication you have when asking about its overdose/suicide potential, rather than just the dosage of each individual tablet.

As in 'I've got 10 grams of oxycontin', or if there is a relevance to listing the individual pill dosage, saying 'I've got 10 grams worth of 5 mg oxycontin tablets'.

A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
OxyContin never came in that dose...

U

Unspoken

Jan 12, 2020
I'm glad you came here to ask this question instead of just trying it. As everyone before me has said, it is rarely fatal and can cause a lot of pain and most likely some time inpatient. I speak from experience too, as I have overdosed on a few occasions and spent my time throwing up and then being admitted to psych.

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
@Meditation guide, your recent post was deleted before I could respond, but it's copied/pasted below:

Why is everyone so passive aggressive?

Aap said:
OxyContin never came in that dose...​
autumnal said:
FYI it is typical and far more useful to refer to the total quantity of a medication​
Werewolf said:
5 mg Is what they prescribe to kids.​

I don't think any of those responses seem passive-aggressive. I know mine certainly wasn't. Are you sure you know what that term actually means and/or are properly attuned to identifying it?!

Sinai Silence

Sinai Silence

I think I'ma die alone inside my room
Jul 6, 2020
I tried ctb with Setraline, wouldn't recommend

Reactions: Twilight
Sinai Silence

Sinai Silence

I think I'ma die alone inside my room
Jul 6, 2020
What happend?
I've survived a few attempts (unfortunately) with my most recent being an OD on a metric sh*t ton of pills (mostly antidepressants) and alcohol.

I was fading in and out of consciousness for a while, I'm not sure on timescales tbh. I woke up being wheeled into A&E with my family there.

They gave me some treatment, I threw up a lot and laid in a hospital bed for what felt like an eternity. I was seen by several nurses that did several things that I don't remember since I was so lethargic.

Eventually a Crisis Team member came to see me and started asking me the usual spiel. I told her it was compulsive (it wasn't) I was fine and just wanted to go home.

I got home and slept for a good 48 hours and had pizza when I woke up. Although I don't remember much of it the look of my family's faces from that day is imprinted in my mind. It was a day before Christmas Eve.

БойСвежий

БойСвежий

Jul 23, 2020
You can't lethally OD on SSRI's as a general rule, unfortunately. This comic book heroine went to a Psychiatrist, and kept telling them SSRI was bunk, and not helping existential uncurable depression due to shithole society made of NPC's. The shrink kept trying different medications until he was prescribed TCA's + some anxiolytics for the piss poor side effects of TCA's, and bought a handle of Stolachnoy Vodka to have a house party. Did it go well? I would think it would still be a gamble, although it could work with some Meto for the nausea that he found on the sidewalk.

Meto(, Phenazepam(for anxiety + Increasing Barbiturate lethality), Clomethiazole (Substituted Barbiturate), Carisoprodol(Subsituted Barbiturate), Pregabalin ( VDCC inverse agonist), Propranolol (fuck the S.I. shakes), PCP (NMDA antagonist, further decreases action potential in PFC, laughing at the S.I.), Diamorphine ( Mu-Opioid agonist , why not?), Zopiclone (leave a bittersweet touch in your mouth from gustatory hallucination), Phenobarbital(Barbiturate, getting too lazy to find Amo Barbital, Phenobarbital is just paint drying, though it seals the deal good enough). Yes I know not to use commas in brackets, fuck you English language your exceptions are as rigid as your Queen of England's hiney.

I will delete this if it's against the rules. I'm really doped up atm.

This might do the trick I hope. Now to find a nice country, and a partner to help me get some toys into a nice retreat destination. Don't think I can fly with some of my friends. I like very high cliffs, white and sandy.