• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

M

mustangsally4ever

May 12, 2024
I see a lot of younger people on this site, but wondering who else is in the over 50 crowd. If so, how did you end up wanting to CTB and do you think we are more likely to go through with it?

Reactions: Joarga and set0553
set0553

set0553

самоубийство
May 16, 2024
54 here.. first wanted to CTB, way back, around 13-14 being a complete outcast and bullied heavily.. my parents were pretty unsupportive when it came to defending myself and only made it clear that no matter what, I couldn't ever get into trouble at school, and that I just needed to get over it. Started cutting around 15, of course that was "my" fault. 🙄 not theirsat all! 😂 but yes, I think the older we get the more tired we get, and after doing so much thinking about it all, past and present, I think the more likely it is we CTB. We've lived our lives out, while this seems to sometimes be "trendy" for the kids in the past few generations.. maybe I'm wrong..

• Hugs
Reactions: todiefor, dreamking and Joarga
J

JRE75

Feb 5, 2024
I am 49 years old. In my case, a disappointment in love caused me depression and anxiety, which led me to realize that my life had many mistakes and bad decisions. In addition, the use of antidepressants caused me PSSD and I no longer have any motivation to continue living.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Roadrunner, Josh007 and todiefor
dreamking

dreamking

Apr 21, 2022
Seems like there aren't too many people 50 and over here... Makes me wonder if most people get better by that age?

• Hugs
Reactions: frost_ and todiefor
seph25

seph25

Jun 21, 2024
I am 49 years old. In my case, a disappointment in love caused me depression and anxiety, which led me to realize that my life had many mistakes and bad decisions. In addition, the use of antidepressants caused me PSSD and I no longer have any motivation to continue living.
PSSD is the worst thing. I mean cigarettes have 10x more warnings and aren't nearly as harmful. Unbelievable.

Reactions: Hollowman
todiefor

todiefor

I hope I made some +ve difference in ppl’s lives
Jun 24, 2023
Looking at some stats, it seems like the number of suicides does not decrease as age increases through a human's life cycle, if anything it increases slightly especially for men, hitting peak for men over 75. Suicide for women is significantly lower than for men in all age groups, and does slightly decrease as people age, even at 75. But obviously suicide is a much higher cause of death for younger people as younger people are less likely to die from natural causes.

It does seem like the demographic on sasu is very skewed towards very young adults, possibly because younger people are more likely to be on the internet and using a forum or online chat, I imagine the rate of using an internet forum or chat room significantly drops off beyond the age of 40, because people of that age and older didn't grow up with the internet, even if they are just as lonely.

I think the reasons through the ages can be very complex due to different challenges faced by each age group, I don't know if my personal guesses are that relevant because everyone is different.

I'm 30+ personally, I was not suicidal until very recently, due to marriage breakup and abuse by my spouse resulting in cptsd.

Do I think older people are likely to go through with it? Again I think this is a very complex question and I don't know if my guesses mean anything. Personally for me I do feel that as I am older I am more confident is knowing what life has on offer for me in the future, so not as much hope for the unknown. An older person could possibly also carry more regret purely due to longer time spent living, and perhaps more fatigued by life if they have been suicidal for a long time since youth. Divorce especially for men is a known big cause for suicide. You may be more likely to go through with it perhaps also if you are faced with terminal illness as you get older. But again, there r so many factors at play for everyone individually.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: dreamking
A

Artemisia

Experienced
May 24, 2024
49 here, give it a couple of months and maybe I'll join the club! Probably not, as I asked, begged, for doctors to save my life and they just don't think it's worth it! Do I have a terminal illness, cancer, something like that? No! I have a twisted hip that pulled the tendons along the spine out of place, but since no one listens I'm just been tortured until I can barely stand anymore. Without any family and having lost my dreams, projects, quality of life and everything else, for me now it's either have the courage to go out with whatever little dignity I have left or become so weak I won't be able to even get some food from the fridge. I'm pretty close to that.
I don't know about others, but I've known for a long time I didn't want to die slowly, watching everything I cared about waste away. And yet here I am still... But each day that goes by I'm definitely more likely to ctb.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: alicia, pthnrdnojvsc, dreamking and 1 other person
alicia

alicia

worn down, and fraying at the edges
Apr 10, 2023
47, so not quite in the over-50s but close enough I guess. In truth I'm here as a kind of support mechanism? Like, I made a decision a long time ago that I wouldn't ctb while I have family to care for, but that hasn't made the ideation any easier to live with. I can't stand most other forums because they're so relentlessly pro-life that they actually make me feel worse. Folks here are honest about it, and I feel a little less alone knowing that I'm not the only one. So I mostly lurk and read the threads, and it helps me make it though the days.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Roadrunner, ephemeralme, dreamking and 4 others
I

itwillpass

Jan 1, 2020
I'm 46 so a few years to go. Personally I've known more people in their 20s and 30s CTB than my age. I don't really know the answer. For me, I have kids and I don't want them to experience their dad leaving them in such a tragic way. I do think at best I've five years left.

J

JenX

Jun 24, 2024
55. Not depressed at all. I've never taken prescription drugs except for the antibiotics shoved on me when I was younger. I do yoga, hike, eat whole foods, make sure I get sunshine every day. I was sleeping well until the reality of my situation hit… I effed up things, and took a gamble being self-employed, hasn't gone well and now I have to do this or go homeless. Yay.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Roadrunner, dreamking and Artemisia
dreamking

dreamking

Apr 21, 2022
55. Not depressed at all. I've never taken prescription drugs except for the antibiotics shoved on me when I was younger. I do yoga, hike, eat whole foods, make sure I get sunshine every day. I was sleeping well until the reality of my situation hit… I effed up things, and took a gamble being self-employed, hasn't gone well and now I have to do this or go homeless. Yay.
Depression is what prevents most of us from getting ahead in life... It can literally cripple you. I know you might feel hopeless, but If your issues are only financial, there might be a chance to turn things around. Believe it or not, you can actually get a lot accomplished when you aren't depressed.

Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Student
Mar 18, 2024
I'm 60, been struggling with anxiety and depression since I was 30. Now after all those years taking antidepressants, new problems have been created because of them. Total lack of libido is just one example. I've had enough of this life I think.

• Hugs
Reactions: alicia and dreamking