M

Mare Tranquillitatis

Mar 10, 2020
Recently I bought at Am.....on Germany a large oven BAG, but it seems very thin. Do you have a link where to buy the correct size?

W

Wiltshire

Nov 14, 2019
The PPH Handbook says what size. Large is good. I just looked at the screenshot I took from the PPH and it says 50 cm x 50 cm approximate. I wouldn't worry about the fact that it's an oven bag and seems thin - I thought the same but these oven bags are designed to hold a chicken and be baked in the oven at high temperatures without bursting. I agree they seem a bit thin but I have got one ready made up as it was recommended and I have tested it twice (with the hose taped on the inside etc) and it swells up and doesn't leak and does exactly what it's meant to do. I will definitely say testing it first which you can do by putting it over your head above the ears as instructed and letting the gas flow in. It inflates and it would be easy to see if it wasn't.
Oh by the way - o couldn't find my order anymore for A———-n to see what size bag I had but as long as it fits over your head with some general roominess then it's good..

M

Mare Tranquillitatis

Mar 10, 2020
Thanks for info. Does your bag crankle - mine does. There are two seams at the sides which seem easy to unseam.
This is the bag. IMG 20200807 235612 390

Last edited:
W

Wiltshire

Nov 14, 2019
FOh yes it does crinkle up -there are seams at the side. I bought mine in a pack of W. You could always put 2 together - one inside the other if you wanted. you could just treat it like one bag and roll up the bottom and put the elastic in etc as per the method. Honestly - I thought as well, how flimsy these things are but they are recommended and I can imagine in the oven (I've never used one) they have to withstand having a chicken put inside and then being being baked for an hour or so and expanding without bursting. When I tested it, it blew up absolutely fine the seams were not put under any pressure at all as once it is inflated, the gas then starts to escape from the gaps around the neck of the bag (in testing position, this was just above my ears).
Sorry - some typos. I bought a pack of 2 ( the W key is underneath the the 2).

Reactions: Mare Tranquillitatis
B

boppe

May 9, 2020
What is your plan with the oven bag? Maybe I'm missing something since, I'm quite new here. I thought people were using these bags along side with nitrogen.

M

Mare Tranquillitatis

Mar 10, 2020
Yes, I will use it with nitrogen. You can also use it with Argon, Helium.

B

boppe

May 9, 2020
Right. I have read about this method. Still dont understand how is the airflow supposed to work successfully.

You pull the nitro/helium whatever... inside and at the same time you will have to breath out, there has to be gap for it. I dont get it.

M

Mare Tranquillitatis

Mar 10, 2020
Please read the inert gas megathread with much infos.