Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Literally nothing that any of us will ever do in our lives will have any effect on the universe whatsoever.

Our presence in this place is so miniscule that it's nearly totally non existent when compared to the vastness of everything else out there.

If every single human being died right now it wouldn't make a shred of difference. None of us are important to the bigger picture in any way. We are all totally disposable.

Yet people trot around like they're the best thing since sliced bread. Like they have all the right answers. Like they're making a difference.
Think about it. No matter what you do, how rich you are, how nice you are, how giving you are, etc.. It means absolutely nothing outside of this shitty little thing we call humanity.

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Umacon, AlwaysTh1nk1ng, R_N and 10 others
Lynx.

Lynx.

Sep 28, 2022
I often hear the phrase "one has to make their own meaning in life" thrown around as a platitude.

I understand that such sentiment comes from existentialist and absurdist philosophers such as Albert Camus, for example - yet it doesn't make much sense to me.

The fabrication of one's own meaning is, in itself, a meaningless process - such a phrase only shows the meaninglessness of existence, since it requires a psychological manipulation to make sense of it.

It is but a mere fabrication so that the walls of reality do not collapse upon us - many realise the futility of life either in death or in sickness, for it is then when one is most honest with their condition and suffering. Yet that realization always comes too late.

Mere rationalizations cannot give life meaning - it is entirely pre-fabricated. Sisyphus' life does not hold any meaning just because he thinks that carrying a rock up a mountain for all ages is a meaningful activity - the meaning resides in the activity itself, not in what the individual gaslights themselves into thinking about it.

Despite what it sounds, I'm not against creating little meanings and having people enjoying stuff and creating something out of seemingly nothing - existing is hard, after all, of course we have to lie to ourselves as a species in order to keep going.

I just wish the notion of meaningfulness would be seen from a more philosophically honest perspective, instead of throwing empty platitudes at everyone and everything...

• Informative
Reactions: Tobacco, foreverfalling, WAITING TO DIE and 5 others
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Literally nothing that any of us will ever do in our lives will have any effect on the universe whatsoever.

Our presence in this place is so miniscule that it's nearly totally non existent when compared to the vastness of everything else out there.

If every single human being died right now it wouldn't make a shred of difference. None of us are important to the bigger picture in any way. We are all totally disposable.

Yet people trot around like they're the best thing since sliced bread. Like they have all the right answers. Like they're making a difference.
Think about it. No matter what you do, how rich you are, how nice you are, how giving you are, etc.. It means absolutely nothing outside of this shitty little thing we call humanity.
It really is, yet people act like they are gods and the center of the universe

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, TransientEternal and Darkover
Riality

Riality

Sleeping Forever Soon
Oct 1, 2023
The more self aware you become the more you feel like leaving this place

Reactions: idk3, AlwaysTh1nk1ng, DeadlineDialer and 7 others
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
The more self aware you become the more you feel like leaving this place
This place sucks, I just wish it were easier to leave it. So many people try and fail…

Reactions: haibane, idk3, DeadlineDialer and 5 others
Riality

Riality

Sleeping Forever Soon
Oct 1, 2023
This place sucks, I just wish it were easier to leave it. So many people try and fail…
We are in a designed never ending loop and the only way to snap out of it is to end it all. Which is hard cause the loop designers are in control of everything. We are tagged like zoo animals (ID's) we live in countries with borders (faced farms) we pay taxes (we get milked like livestock) everything here is promoted through fear, no school no money you die poor believe in God or go to hell, like there's no single day a human being will ever live his life without worries on his or her head

Reactions: AlwaysTh1nk1ng, sserafim, lwlaiet8887 and 3 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
True- in the grand scheme of things. However- imagine if none of your favourite things existed. You never heard your favourite piece of music. Music doesn't exist because it's pointless. You never played games or watched films- same deal as music. Everyone in your life was utterly shit to you because- being kind was pointless too. Would that make it a better place to live?!!

I do agree to some extent- we are way too convinced of our own importance. I guess in a way if everyone became nihilistic- maybe that would be good. Maybe we would all quit reproducing and die out within the next 100 years or so at most. But realistically- I doubt that will happen. As it is- if everyone started to have that attitude- presumably, everyone would either become deeply depressed or- hedonistic. Would that really make this a better place?

I think fundamentally- most people can't afford to think like this- financially. Most people have to support themselves and possibly their families as well. Their lives would become so much harder if they were plagued with feelings of worthlessness all the time. So- we tend to label that as depression and people do all they can to avoid it.

I don't blame anyone for having ideation in this world but truthfully- does it make your life easier? I'd say it makes it a lot harder. It's harder to feel motivated to do anything. It's agonizingly frustrating to desperately want to CTB but not be able to find an effective and safe means to do it. Not that I really think we have all that much choice or control over it but- can you really blame or fault people doing all they can to not feel like this? That could include preoccupying themselves with pointless things.

Honestly speaking- I'm sorry to dredge up bittersweet memories but- when you were designing games, did you still feel crushed by this sense of pointlessness? Maybe you weren't so arrogant to think what you were doing was world changing but- didn't it occupy you entirely for at least a period? I think that's how most people live.

I think for others- they form relationships and have families which likely gives their life even more meaning. A small baby that will die if you don't look after it and, depends on you for everything- at least initially but really- throughout life too probably does give people focus and a feeling of responsibility.

I just think a lot of us here are sitting on the periphery of life. That can make it easier for us to sit back and make judgements about what it's all really about. Still- I'd say- it's not quite so fair to judge individual people. If you don't need to support yourself financially- it's not all that fair to mock the 'sheeple' working their arses off to provide for themselves and their families (and presumably you- through benefits. Not berating you. I'm sure you deserve them but- just saying- imagine if you didn't receive any financial help.)

Honestly- it's better for them if they can dellude themselves that- what they are doing is worthwhile. I worked in retail for 10 years. Those of us who saw it as a dead end job that we hated were having a much more miserable time than those who just seemed to accept it.

Also- put it this way: If you had a child- would you raise it to be a nihilist? Would you tell it how worthless it was? That it didn't even matter what it achieved in life because it was all pointless anyhow? Of course parents (well- at least- loving parents) make a child feel wanted and valuable. It would be cruel or neglectful not to.

I agree that the state of the world and our place in it is pretty perplexing. Still- I don't see worldwide nihilism and anhedonia as a better alternative. I don't like arrogant or narcissistic people certainly but, I can't see how people would strive to achieve anything if they didn't believe in it and themselves to some extent.

Reactions: AlwaysTh1nk1ng, starlightsun, WAITING TO DIE and 1 other person
Epikur

Epikur

Oct 6, 2023
I understand that such sentiment comes from existentialist and absurdist philosophers such as Albert Camus, for example - yet it doesn't make much sense to me.
The only meaningful sentence that I remember from weirdo Calmus is: "Sometimes the coulisses tumble down". Besides the other crap that he produced this actually makes sense to me. I think for most of us here in this forum the scenery has revealed its true nature whereas the majority strive for some meaning or sense which must be made up individually. They desperately run after chimaera inoculated by society.

Last edited:
Reactions: sserafim and WAITING TO DIE
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Honestly speaking- I'm sorry to dredge up bittersweet memories but- when you were designing games, did you still feel crushed by this sense of pointlessness? Maybe you weren't so arrogant to think what you were doing was world changing but- didn't it occupy you entirely for at least a period? I think that's how most people live.
honestly i didn't consider the world pointless nor the human race into i got brain injury, making software was my life for a decade i just wish i could still program i know for certain i had something to offer the world as you can see from here https://www.mpgh.net/forum/search.php?searchid=66308099

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE and Forever Sleep
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
Yes, there is absolutely no point in human existence because there is far too much suffering in the world.
Everything is a major struggle and as soon as one problem is gone, another one appears to bite you on the ass.
I think most people in general these days have had enough of it all. There is way too much evil and not enough love for one another.
I honestly feel so broken by it all now.
I'm not living, just merely existing.
It's all just a nightmare world of constant problems and meaningless suffering.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim, Tobacco, redeyepiranha and 1 other person
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
honestly i didn't consider the world pointless nor the human race into i got brain injury, making software was my life for a decade i just wish i could still program i know for certain i had something to offer the world as you can see from here https://www.mpgh.net/forum/search.php?searchid=66308099

I feel so bad for you. I expect in some ways, we are similar. My creative work has always been my life. When it's threatened (because it isn't financially very viable) my world falls to pieces and everything feels utterly pointless.

• Hugs
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE and Darkover
hellispink

hellispink

poisonous
May 26, 2022
Life itself is a journey, a meaningless journey. Doesn't have a point but just kind of living it and repeating it. Whether that is worth doing or not its a personal decision . It depends what environment luck has given said person. Some have less hard and find little things that entertain them while they die, others don't and always struggle until they die.

Reactions: sserafim, WAITING TO DIE and Darkover
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It truly is, all that existing beings are doing is waiting until death inevitably erases everything for them, we are destined for nothing but to die. But in my case the only comfort lies in how someday existence will be completely forgotten about, eventually existence won't be my problem which is ideal.

It's just horrific and tragic how we were burdened with the ability to suffer so senselessly in the first place, as all that existence does is create problems there never were a need for, wanting to die is all that makes sense to me. I see no value in this futile and meaningless existence that just causes worthless suffering and only leads to decay.

Reactions: AncientSorrow, AlwaysTh1nk1ng, sserafim and 3 others
Tobacco

Tobacco

Efilist. Possible promortalist.
Jan 14, 2023
I agree. There was no need at all for sentient life to arise. It feels like a terrible accident.

Reactions: Darkover, AlwaysTh1nk1ng and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
We are in a designed never ending loop and the only way to snap out of it is to end it all. Which is hard cause the loop designers are in control of everything. We are tagged like zoo animals (ID's) we live in countries with borders (faced farms) we pay taxes (we get milked like livestock) everything here is promoted through fear, no school no money you die poor believe in God or go to hell, like there's no single day a human being will ever live his life without worries on his or her head
I hate how we're all basically just slaves to capitalism and the thing I hate the most is how we have to work for a living and how it costs money to exist on this planet. I hate that we have to pay bills and taxes. It's absurd that existence costs money, and that we have to pay for food, shelter and water, which should be human rights. I hate the fact that we have to earn our livings. We're all slaves to the system…a system I never even wanted to be a part of in the first place! But sadly no one has a choice in it

Last edited:
Reactions: Umacon, Riality, haibane and 3 others
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
I hate how we're all basically just slaves to capitalism and the thing I hate the most is how we have to work for a living and how it costs money to exist on this planet. I hate that we have to pay bills and taxes. It's absurd that existence costs money, and that we have to pay for food, shelter and water, which should be human rights. I hate the fact that we have to earn our livings. We're all slaves to the system…a system I never even wanted to be a part of in the first place! But sadly no one has a choice in it
Yes, exactly. We are caged from our infancy by being imprisoned in schools against our will.
They do this to steal our childhoods and condition us to obey for future servitude to the system.
Once we are old enough to leave these brainwashing academies, we spend the next half a century as wage-slaves.
Round and round we go in a never ending cycle, like a hamster on a wheel, with no escape in sight.

Reactions: Umacon, Darkover, AlwaysTh1nk1ng and 1 other person