J

Journeytoletgo

Broken and hated 7-14 years long overdue
May 14, 2018
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Rick And Morty Im In GIF
scared adult swim GIF by Rick and Morty
Rick And Morty Money GIF
Rick And Morty GIF

• Yay!
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Journeytoletgo
G

GoingAwayParty

Apr 22, 2022
There is a concept called quantum immortality, which many of you may have heard of. In brief, it suggests that nothing as such does not exist and an observer is always necessary as a fundamental element of the universe. It also says that, because the observer is essential, it cannot ever truly experience its own death - it will always find itself in a universe in which it survives. (This gets bastardized to mean souls etc., but it has nothing to do with souls and everything to do with probabilistic outcomes).

Which produces more questions than answers. Say that Lisa takes up smoking because of peer pressure from her friend at the age of seventeen. She dies at the age of 57 of lung cancer. If quantum immortality holds good, does this mean she simply never actually dies from the cancer? Does she find herself always in a world just before she develops n the cancer? Before she starts smoking? Before she meets her friend?

Johnny gets into a car accident at the age of 30. Does he therefore find himself in a world where he turns left instead of right? Where he doesn't get his license? Where cars are not invented? A world where he ends up as a vegetable in a hospital until technology is invented to heal him?

Last edited:
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Al Cappella
Pain In The Ass

Pain In The Ass

Wizard
Feb 10, 2022
Roger Penrose believes he has seen evidence in the form of 'Hawking Points', that are the remnants of events that happened in previous cycles or aions of our universe, so he believes our universe doesn't just fizzle out, like most physicists do, but keeps recycling itself. As for other universes; we thought we were the only planet, with the only sun, in the only galaxy... until that was all proved to be incorrect.

Reactions: lifeisbutadream and not-2-b-the-answer
L

Ligottian

Elementalist
Dec 19, 2021
This shit goes WAY beyond any horror Lovecraft could have imagined.

Reactions: Alex6216 and not-2-b-the-answer
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
This shit goes WAY beyond any horror Lovecraft could have imagined.
Yeah, it's all real fancy & mysterious, but pain is still the same as it's ever been - stupid & boring, so who really gives a crap about that shit?

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
G

GoingAwayParty

Apr 22, 2022
Yeah, it's all real fancy & mysterious, but pain is still the same as it's ever been - stupid & boring, so who really gives a crap about that shit?
We who are suicidal have to care very much about this. Imagine a scenario in which quantum immortality is true and your method leaves open a slight possibility for survival. According to quantum mechanics, you *will* survive any death that isn't 100% fatal.

• Aww..
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
We who are suicidal have to care very much about this. Imagine a scenario in which quantum immortality is true and your method leaves open a slight possibility for survival. According to quantum mechanics, you *will* survive any death that isn't 100% fatal.

How come I don't give a crap, then? Why would I wanna rape my brain with endless speculations? I have more than enough tangible problems.

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
G

GoingAwayParty

Apr 22, 2022
How come I don't give a crap, then? Why would I wanna rape my brain with endless speculations? I have more than enough tangible problems.

Because if you CTB and you survive, depending on method, you may end up with far worse tangible problems. QM makes this even worse - if there's a slight possibility of survival, you will survive even if it seems a certain thing. You need to aim for maximum overkill with your methods.

• Aww..
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
Because if you CTB and you survive, depending on method, you may end up with far worse tangible problems. QM makes this even worse - if there's a slight possibility of survival, you will survive even if it seems a certain thing. You need to aim for maximum overkill with your methods.

I'm not sophisticated enough to fear what you're afraid of. I'm sure there are hundreds of even scarier theories that folks whose brains are bigger than yours pointlessly get their panties in a bunch over.