deadwinter

deadwinter

i want to see angels
Apr 7, 2023
I see a lot of people irl and online self-diagnosing themselves w serious mental illnesses/disorders.

For the most part, I don't think self-diagnosis is valid. There's so much misinformation online and many people don't do proper research, i.e., taking an online quiz or watching a tt/yt video. The problem is that there's so much overlap between different mental conditions and even physical illnesses. Chronic illness may be mistaken for depression, anxiety can look like ADHD or OCD, and bipolar disorder is often confused with BPD.

It's important to understand that having certain symptoms doesn't automatically mean someone has that condition. It's normal to feel anxious/depressed/emotional sometimes, but there's a lot more that goes into a diagnosis! I could diagnose myself w countless disorders I definitely don't have just because I have a few of the symptoms.

I know that professional diagnosis is a privilege and not everyone has access to mental health services. As long as you do extensive research, I believe it's totally valid to self-diagnose if a professional diagnosis is not an option!

thank you for reading.. i'd love 2 hear ur thoughts!

• Love
Reactions: アホペンギン, carmechanicer_keke, unrest and 2 others
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Yeah, same. Many symptoms are nonspecific and can apply to a whole range of illnesses or conditions. Lots of people don't realize the sheer number of possible causes for something. Plus having certain mental disorders is kind of trendy now. However nobody will label themselves a narcissist or something, lol. Only the fashionable things.

A lot of symptoms are on a spectrum too and may well fall within a range of what is considered normal. It's quite common to feel empty or sad without it being big time depression, for example.

• Love
Reactions: Sweet Tart, deadwinter and psp3000
deadwinter

deadwinter

i want to see angels
Apr 7, 2023
Yeah, same. Many symptoms are nonspecific and can apply to a whole range of illnesses or conditions. Lots of people don't realize the sheer number of possible causes for something. Plus having certain mental disorders is kind of trendy now. However nobody will label themselves a narcissist or something, lol. Only the fashionable things.

A lot of symptoms are on a spectrum too and may well fall within a range of what is considered normal. It's quite common to feel empty or sad without it being big time depression, for example.
Yeah, it's scary how romanticized mental illnesses/disorders are.. it's not cute or pretty when I cut off all my friends and can't even take care of myself anymore because of a debilitating condition.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: carmechanicer_keke, unrest, psp3000 and 1 other person
L

loopdaloop

-
Apr 16, 2023
I'm gonna be a hypocrite because I did personally semi self-diagnose myself (just one diagnosis, I keep it to myself and don't take it too seriously), but I agree that's invalid and doesn't substitute a professional assessment. There are probably a whole bunch of different reasons people choose to self-diagnose. My reasoning is that finding a lable to the problem helps looking online for ways to treat it and fix your mental health on your own. Sometimes it's because of financial issues, sometimes it's trust issues in the mental health industry, and other times the problem is urgent and waiting months for an appointment is daunting.

• Love
Reactions: Sweet Tart, unrest, psp3000 and 1 other person
LonleyDazai

LonleyDazai

Jun 15, 2023
No, most mental disorders have overlapping symptoms making it very difficult to get an accurate self-diagnosis. I wouldn't recommend it. It's also very easy to subconsciously placebo yourself into believing you have symptoms, then you could induce them on yourself. A proper mental health evaluation would be the best course of action.

• Love
Reactions: deadwinter and psp3000
EternalShore

EternalShore

Hardworking Lass who Dreams of Love~ 💕✨
Jun 9, 2023
However nobody will label themselves a narcissist or something, lol. Only the fashionable things.
I know someone who does! xD
But anyways, self-diagnosis can be valid imo (mostly because I don't want to go to a psychiatrist to get formally diagnosed ever) but only if you do your research! ^_^

• Love
Reactions: Sweet Tart, OceanBlue and deadwinter
deadwinter

deadwinter

i want to see angels
Apr 7, 2023
I'm gonna be a hypocrite because I did personally semi self-diagnose myself (just one diagnosis, I keep it to myself and don't take it too seriously), but I agree that's invalid and doesn't substitute a professional assessment. There are probably a whole bunch of different reasons people choose to self-diagnose. My reasoning is that finding a lable to the problem helps looking online for ways to treat it and fix your mental health on your own. Sometimes it's because of financial issues, sometimes it's trust issues in the mental health industry, and other times the problem is urgent and waiting months for an appointment is daunting.
i totally agree w this! i'm currently waiting for an evaluation.. it's so hard to get an appointment, not to mention it's expensive n literally takes months

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: carmechanicer_keke, psp3000 and loopdaloop
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
I do strongly dislike self diagnosis (I wish I did not) mostly because of what I've seen and encountered on the internet because I've noticed that the thing where people used to use depression, and anxiety as a placeholder for a personality or romanticize it is coming back except now it's bipolar disorder, several different disabilities, schizophrenia, anxiety, depression, tourettes, autism, dissociative identity disorder, and self harm, over compulsive disorder etc.

when I see that content it makes me upset because sometimes I feel as though it invalidates people who live with those specific things and I feel as though it would make it harder for those who have the privilege to get a diagnosis either because they think they won't be believed or because they feel as though it may just be a cry for attention or some form of Münchhausen by Internet so they decide not to do so

overall I am not sure how to feel about it

• Love
Reactions: Sweet Tart and deadwinter
Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
If people want to self diagnose fine, but I don't think it can be taken seriously, it took me years to get to where I am with mine, I felt such a fraud prior saying I had something, whilst no actual professional proof of it
I know someone who *self diagnosed* to get benefits which is really unfair
its a current trend that unlike other illnesses like say cancer, people are too afraid to call people out on their bullshit because you just know they will play the mental health card and say you are discriminating (No i can't spell)
I would go into more, but currently arguing with amazon on live chat....

• Love
Reactions: carmechanicer_keke, deadwinter and psp3000
deadwinter

deadwinter

i want to see angels
Apr 7, 2023
I know someone who does! xD
But anyways, self-diagnosis can be valid imo (mostly because I don't want to go to a psychiatrist to get formally diagnosed ever) but only if you do your research! ^_^
i don't think its a problem as long as u don't treat it like a formal diagnosis! anyways, thts interesting 2 me.. i mostly see people self-diagnosing w adhd, bpd, & depression
No, most mental disorders have overlapping symptoms making it very difficult to get an accurate self-diagnosis. I wouldn't recommend it. It's also very easy to subconsciously placebo yourself into believing you have symptoms, then you could induce them on yourself. A proper mental health evaluation would be the best course of action.
once i go down the rabbit hole of researching a condition i become paranoid and start thinking i have it when i clearly do not.. then I have to remind myself to calm down and think rationally haha

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: unrest, psp3000 and EternalShore
EternalShore

EternalShore

Hardworking Lass who Dreams of Love~ 💕✨
Jun 9, 2023
i don't think its a problem as long as u don't treat it like a formal diagnosis! anyways, thts interesting 2 me.. i mostly see people self-diagnosing w adhd, bpd, & depression
If I were to self-diagnose myself, I'm pretty confident I have paranoid personality disorder and gender identity disorder. Depression too, altho I will say half of that is from gender identity disorder~

• Love
Reactions: Sweet Tart and deadwinter
deadwinter

deadwinter

i want to see angels
Apr 7, 2023
I do strongly dislike self diagnosis (I wish I did not) mostly because of what I've seen and encountered on the internet because I've noticed that the thing where people used to use depression, and anxiety as a placeholder for a personality or romanticize it is coming back except now it's bipolar disorder, several different disabilities, schizophrenia, anxiety, depression, tourettes, autism, dissociative identity disorder, and self harm, over compulsive disorder etc.

when I see that content it makes me upset because sometimes I feel as though it invalidates people who live with those specific things and I feel as though it would make it harder for those who have the privilege to get a diagnosis either because they think they won't be believed or because they feel as though it may just be a cry for attention or some form of Münchhausen by Internet so they decide not to do so

overall I am not sure how to feel about it
this!! i think it dilutes the experiences of people who are genuinely suffering. it spreads the harmful idea that people are attention-seeking or using their illness as an excuse when they truly need help.

Reactions: carmechanicer_keke and psp3000
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
this!! i think it dilutes the experiences of people who are genuinely suffering. it spreads the harmful idea that people are attention-seeking or using their illness as an excuse when they truly need help.
I forgot to add: its also kind of competitive now too???? I don't get it

• Love
Reactions: carmechanicer_keke and deadwinter
deadwinter

deadwinter

i want to see angels
Apr 7, 2023
If people want to self diagnose fine, but I don't think it can be taken seriously, it took me years to get to where I am with mine, I felt such a fraud prior saying I had something, whilst no actual professional proof of it
I know someone who *self diagnosed* to get benefits which is really unfair
its a current trend that unlike other illnesses like say cancer, people are too afraid to call people out on their bullshit because you just know they will play the mental health card and say you are discriminating (No i can't spell)
I would go into more, but currently arguing with amazon on live chat....
i agree w you. personally, i will never claim to have a mental disorder/illness unless i am absolutely sure of it. how can anyone definitively know they have a condition when even doctors/professionals get it wrong sometimes?
I forgot to add: its also kind of competitive now too???? I don't get it
fr i literally saw a comment online that said "you only have 3 illnesses? i have so much more than you"

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I don't know really. I'm not convinced the doctors get it right either! Especially with mental health and especially the way they seem to diagnose it- listening to symptoms. That seems bizarre to me. Imagine if physical health was ONLY diagnosed from listening to the patient describe their symptoms- it would be disasterous! Unless I've got that wrong and they can run fancy tests...

I have mixed feelings on it really. My Dad's said to me in the past- 'You're not depressed in the same way that this person is.' Why? Because I haven't gone along to my doctor and been 'accredited'?!! Because I'm not taking meds? Because I haven't ACTED on what I feel and been caught and sent to the psyche ward? Because YOU don't know what's going on in my head? Because I'M trying to not let it show.

I think it can work both ways. I suspect there certainly are people who (mis)diagnose themselves with all sorts. I expect there are people who are (mis)diagnosed by doctors and I expect there are people out there who will struggle their entire lives but will have never seen a doctor about their mental health and therefore remain undiagnosed- but still suffering.

Sometimes we have little choice but to start guessing at what we might have... With regards to physical illness- a combination of my own reluctance plus NHS incompetance lead to me having a prolonged period of intensely painful abdominal attacks. I was desperate for the pain to stop and I realised it was down to eating- and specifically eating foods with fat in. I suspected it was gallstones way before they diagnosed it and- good job- I'd worked out what not to eat!

Obviously, psychological stuff is different. Maybe it's more complex. Still- who knows our bodies better than we do? If we feel like something's not working properly- it probably isn't! I guess it is kind of hit and miss for a layman like ourselves to match our list of symptoms with a diagnosis but- ultimately- isn't that what the doctor is doing?!!

Ok- they SHOULD know more about the nuances for each condition. HOW though do they diagnose severity? By how their patient describes their pain? We all have different pain tolerances. How can they rely on someone's description of their own experience to diagnose them? Some people like to exagerate. Some people like to play stuff down.

I guess it CAN be dangerous. I can see how it can be belittling to people who literally have debhilitating mental illness and someone who seems to just have an insecurity or weakness describes themselves as the same. To be honest- I think I do this with the term: 'social anxiety.' I DO feel anxious in social situations. It's terribly uncomfortable for me but I couldn't honestly say it was debhilitating. I don't entirely shut down or vomit when I have to be in a social situation. I can see how it would be upsetting for someone who literally CAN'T function in a social setting for me to say I 'suffer' with the same thing. I just wish there were better ways to describe things sometimes.

I guess as well- it can feel validating but also- feel calming to be able to 'label' yourself and others with things. When I found out about narcissism- everything just kind of clicked for the way someone in my family had behaved. Obviously- it will never be an 'official' diagnosise but it made me feel better. It was utterly crazy behaviour but now- it was a known phenomena.

It also helped me to be aware that I very likely 'suffer' from limerance. When I start to feel myself crazy obsessing over someone now- I can usually pull myself back rather than thinking I'm full blown in love with them. Plus- I'd diagnose myself in the past with a borderline binge eating disorder. Honestly- that just felt utterly out of control. Yeah- they're not 'official' diagnoses but they do actually help me.

I fully suspect I would be diagnosed with mild to moderate depression if I saw my GP today. Maybe 'Persistant Depressive Disorder'. I have been diagnosed with depression in the past. They gave me a questionnaire to fill in and prescribed me Fluoexetine/ Prozac. Nothing's changed... my answers would be the same- so I imagine the diagnosis would be the same too.

So- I just don't know. Maybe the more complex actual diagnoses should be left to the doctor's- although I wouldn't entirely bet on them getting it right either! Still- if someone says they are struggling, things have changed for them, they feel like something's wrong- they ought to be given sympathy. Maybe it's annoying when they diagnose themselves with this and that. Really I suppose it would be better if there were just different grades we could give ourselves! We still may not get our own diagnoses right but maybe it would be better if we said we had suspected ... whatever it is... Sorry for the essay!!

• Love
Reactions: LittleJem, Sweet Tart, Dead Ghost and 1 other person
Kasumi

Kasumi

tired
Mar 3, 2023
I think the problem with self-diagnosis is that you don't know how serious you should take it.
Some people start talking about having illnesses or disorders when they are literally just not feeling well temporarily, f.e. there are people confusing depression with feeling depressed, anxiety disorder with feeling anxious over something, etc.

Then as you and other said, the other big problem is the overlap, personally I have spotted symptoms of ADHD in myself but when I did some tests tbh most of the symptoms could just as well be caused by anxiety, stress and other factors.
So I actually don't have any idea if I have it or not, some things are weird, and it like has to be something, but that doesn't mean it's ADHD.

On the other hand, sometimes a self-diagnosis can be pretty clear.
I know for a fact that I have some kind of anxiety disorder and tbh I don't need to do any tests for that, cause I don't think it's normal to be that scared on a daily basis.
For me, depression was the hardest to understand for quiet a while, since it's not something as simple as being scared or feeling sad and it really is vaguely defined thing that shows itself in a number of symptoms that all need to be present.

So in my case it was more that my friends told me that I supposedly had depression, I didn't really know if I should believe it, cause I was only looking at the symptoms on their own, like, feeling sad or hopeless are normal when ur life isn't great, doesn't mean you're sick, being exhausted is normal when you are busy, doesn't mean you're sick, etc.

tldr: self-diagnosis can work imo when the person doing it is very carefully looking at their problems from multiple angles, and if literally everything points at one illness than I'd say that's pretty likely, as opposed to showing some signs that could be this or that.

• Love
Reactions: deadwinter, Sweet Tart and Dead Ghost
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
If people want to give themselves descriptive labels based on a set of subjective criteria, then have at it. I don't think a professional diagnosis is much better since they are doing the same thing, and it is often just to get insurance payments. There's probably lots of stuff I could qualify for, but who cares? I find it's better to get to know people and really try to understand them anyway.

• Love
Reactions: deadwinter, Sweet Tart and Dead Ghost
Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
Self-diagnosis is a complete waste of time. When I was diagnosed with Asperger's at the age of 40 I couldn't quite believe it, it had never crossed my mind. The problem is quite serious when you understand how a bad diagnosis can considerably worsen your state of health (for example make the drugs not work effectively) and make it very difficult to apply an effective and adequate treatment (it is not even enough to losing shyness to talk to others when you have Asperger's).

The difficulty of correctly identifying and diagnosing mental disorders lies mainly in the fact that there are still no biological markers to support doctors and psychiatrists and really everything responds to a classification of symptoms that are grouped into profiles/disorders.

The day that disorders can be diagnosed with simple analysis of biological samples (in life. For example Alzheimer's can only be done through autopsy) mental health will have taken a giant step.

//

Autodiagnosticar-se és una competa pérdua de temps. Quan em van diagnosticar l'Asperger als 40 anys no m'ho acabava de creure, a mi mai se m'hagués passat pel cap. El problema es bastant greu quan entens com un mal diagnòstic pot empitjorar considerablement el teu estat de salut (per exemple fer que els fàrmacs no funcionin amb eficàcia) i dificultar molt l'aplicació d'un tractament efectiu i adequat (no ni ha prou amb perdre la timidesa per a parlar amb els altres quan tens Asperger).

La dificultat de identificar i diagnosticar correctament els trastorns mentals rau principalment en que encara no existeixen marcadors biològics que donin suport als metges i psiquiatres i realment tot respón a una classificació de símptomes que van agrupant en perfils/trastorns.

El día que es puguin diagnosticar els trastorns amb simples anàlisi de mostres biològiques (en vida. Per exemple l'alzheimer només es pot fer mitjançant autòpsia) la salut mental haurà fet un pas de gegant.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: deadwinter and NumbItAll
Livingvsdying25

Livingvsdying25

Enlightened
Dec 8, 2019
I am fine with self diagnosis bc the medical system has completely failed me. Pretty much everything I am officially diagnosed with I have self diagnosed myself and then I went to seek verification from professionals.

It just isn't the same for black folks imo. Doctors don't care/ ask much unless you find good not racist/prejudice doctor or a black doctor. If I allowed the system to be what I rely on to tell me whats wrong then I wouldn't have treatement for my CPTSD or ADHD or the POTS. I'd have incorrect diagnosis and incorrect treatment.

I get peoples hangs ups with self diagnosis but its more complex than just the idiots on the internet. Its not like I could just start treating myself anyway so its mostly harmless. Plus its taught me incredible self awareness.
For example, I can discern between the brain fog of my sleep disorder vs brain fog from the POTS vs brain fog from ADHD.

I know my body & brain best bc I've had to due to my parents medical neglect and not having a good doctor until the last 2 yrs. I think its best to work in collaboration with doctors not have them be the ones leading the way per say but thats just been my personal experience.

I had to fight to get my ADHD diagnosis and that has been life changing for me to start treatment so. I am/was fighting for my sleep disorderdiagnosis as well bc my tests results came back normal yet my sleep is still fucked sooo 😮‍💨😮‍💨

It's quite frustrating but at least my current doctor gets it. Shes commented on me knowing best/being self aware but even sometimes I miss stuff like the hyperthyroidism. Its best to just find medical professionals that care and are invested in your overall well-being. My doctor can be wack sometimes but at least we get shit done so can't complain too much...

• Love
Reactions: deadwinter, LittleJem, Dead Ghost and 1 other person
loyalskateboard

loyalskateboard

Specialist
May 4, 2023
Nope. Self diagnosis can never be valid for mental and neurodevelopmental conditions. You can suspect that you have a certain disorder, but you can't know for sure without professional assessment. I know doctors can be wrong, trust me I have experience with that. There is a reason second opinions exist. I understand it isn't financially accessible for everyone but that doesn't make self diagnosis valid. You can't self diagnose heart disease or Leukaemia just because you cannot afford a doctor. There are so many variables and complexities and comorbidities that can affect diagnosis. Certain psychiatric conditions even affect insight. You might not even know you have it. What you consider depression could be prodromal schizophrenia. If you read a lot about certain disorders, you might trivialise or magnify certain suspected symptoms. You could pathologize a normal trait. You could ignore something that is a symptom. There is a reason even psychiatrists cannot diagnose themselves. Hell, you might have a missed physical illness that is causing the symptoms you declare a mental illness.

A self diagnosis doesn't even do anything. You can research strategies to help the behaviours, emotions, or sensory sensitivities you struggle with and not identify with a certain label. Once again, suspecting you have something is fine. All that means is you should go to a doctor to confirm it. It's possible you're right, but you can't guarantee it. Lots of people are wrong.

• Love
Reactions: deadwinter and Dead Ghost
FinalCountdown

FinalCountdown

Jun 21, 2023
A diagnosis by a doctor can be very helpful, as long term conditions often need long term management. That's a big weight for one person to hold. Also, let's say you do have a correct diagnosis on yourself, what's the next step? Often people can fall into the rabbit hole of self medicating that can introduce more problems in the long term.

Well, this is not the best place for a bus analogy, but here we go. Doctors can be like bus drivers,when it comes to making diagnosis, they have to make stops along your journey. If the stop isn't a good fit, a good doctor will take that bus somewhere else. Some bus rides can be long, but they always should be safe, and seem like they are generally going in the right direction. Communication can go a long way too, on both sides, you should feel like your doctor is your advocate, explaining to you why they have come to their decisions. You should be able to feel comfortable enough to discuss your concerns, and if you have another route in mind, bring it up. Sometimes people make the mistake of not communicating their needs to their doctor. If you feel like your doctor isn't listening to your concerns and needs, that's when I would consider a new doctor.

• Love
Reactions: deadwinter and Dead Ghost
CTBookOfLife

CTBookOfLife

ᴶᵘˢᵗ ᵃ ˢʰᵉˡˡ ᵒᶠ ᵃ ᵇᵒᵈʸ ʷⁱᵗʰ ᵐᵃⁿʸ ᵐⁱⁿᵈˢ
Aug 5, 2023
INFORMED self-diagnosis is very valid and has saved my life. I have essentially self-diagnosed myself with many things before later being diagnosed or medically recognized. Hoping for the next success to be Lupus.. we came to the rheumatologist with lupus concerns, he got the test back—negative.

He REFUSED to entertain the theory it could have been a false negative despite how common that can be in Lupus.

I quite literally have the lupus "butterfly rash" but it's near my psoriasis, so hard to see.

carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
Self diagnoses saved my life, I went from being bedbound in chronic pain and wanting to ctb everyday to living a full an active life and being happy within a couple of months. I saw numerous Doctors none of them even examined me, they just stare at the computer screen and nod their head. I saw Physical Therapists, Podiatrists, Osteopaths all of them failed to diagnose me. In the end it was just luck that I found something on the internet I was like "hey this is me"