F

fjwoncwaomb

Jul 24, 2018
I opened it for about 3 minutes. the solution is in a bottle. What i found on the net is this:
"It is also slowly oxidized by oxygen in the air to sodium nitrate, NaNO3"
Another source says its only thermal decomposition that causes this. (Wikipedia?)
Its a white powder no real smell.
I was about to do it last night but i pussyed out at the last second.

Last edited:
Reactions: Didymus
F

fjwoncwaomb

Jul 24, 2018
Veeery slowly :) Not minutes.

You're all good.
Source please? Im looking into more old wikipedia versions, to see if the oxygen part was removed or changed.

Last edited:
Luke

Luke

tired
Apr 11, 2018
Source please? Im looking into more old wikipedia versions, to see if the oxygen part was removed or changed.

Degradation only happens with the absorption of water from the air. So for it to occur it needs humidity to form a layer around the crystals for the extra oxygen molecules to ... " get inside "

I have no source because on mobile but this is how it works, its a very slow process. As long It's dry you are good. It cannot deteriorate without moisture because chemistry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Didymus and Fixin’ToDie
F

fjwoncwaomb

Jul 24, 2018
It's easier to store than you think. Degradation happens with the absorption of water from the air. So for it to occur it needs humidity to form a layer around the crystals for the extra oxygen molecules to ... " get inside ".

I have no source, this is how it works.
Guess il have to trust you. The info on the net looks like it was pasted from older Wikipedia versions.(the one saying oxygen turns it into nitrate) Il be blaming you through 10 years from now if i take it and nothing happens. Have a good one :wink:

Luke

Luke

tired
Apr 11, 2018
Guess il have to trust you. The info on the net looks like it was pasted from older Wikipedia versions.(the one saying oxygen turns it into nitrate) Il be blaming you through 10 years from now if i take it and nothing happens. Have a good one :wink:

I'll find you a source when back

Luke

Luke

tired
Apr 11, 2018
Ok so I can't find a source either, the first reason is because it's not a concern, the second one is explosives which I'm not going into.
Rest assured it will take years and years for anything to happen to your salt :) Keep it dry and you're good. The point of storing it in a sealed bottle is to keep water out. No moisture no nitrate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixin’ToDie and fjwoncwaomb
S

samd

Jul 21, 2018
I just picked up sodium nitrite from a lab supply store. The guy assured me that it's 99+% food grade but there is no label. Should I be worried

Luke

Luke

tired
Apr 11, 2018
I just picked up sodium nitrite from a lab supply store. The guy assured me that it's 99+% food grade but there is no label. Should I be worried

Worried about what?

S

samd

Jul 21, 2018
Good point.
I worry about everything which is why I'm in the situation I'm in. I guess my major concern is it not strong enough or the right chemical composition and I will end up in the hospital with a colostomy bag as opposed to being at peace and out of the hell I am in.

Luke

Luke

tired
Apr 11, 2018
Good point.
I worry about everything which is why I'm in the situation I'm in. I guess my major concern is it not strong enough or the right chemical composition and I will end up in the hospital with a colostomy bag as opposed to being at peace and out of the hell I am in.

Alright it's absolutely understandable. I think there is no real reason to worry about nitrite because it's a widely used very cheap food additive. It's purity varies between 99% and 99.9%

There is no reason to sell you anything else since anything that could be used to dilute it with needs to be an even cheaper substance.

The seller has no interest in this. If he sells it as a research chemical then the buyer would quickly figure out what it was.

Your salt is totally fine.

Also research chemicals are sold this way because the first thing you do with them is to pour them into your own containers. The seller just buys several kilos in a big bag then sells it to you in smaller packages. Chemicals need good prices and high purity not shiny wrapping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Didymus and Fixin’ToDie