it's_all_a_game

it's_all_a_game

I remember...death in the afternoon...
Nov 7, 2020
Years ago, the world of fiction was the only thing keeping me alive. I loved 20th century literature & new wave music. Now, of course, my ctb date is approaching.

However, I still feel the occasional urge to not die, because of my love for various artistic works. For example, I like to collect obscure 12" singles. If I die soon, there's a ton I'll never get to hear. I know it doesn't really matter (I'm like the only one who cares about rare music from 1983 lol), but it still saddens me.

What REALLY annoys me, though, is all the real life junk I have to deal with. I'm tried of worrying about money, my crappy mom, nasty people, etc., which is why I'm ctb-ing in the first place. Which has led to the spectacular irony that real life makes want to die, whilst fiction (i.e., not real) makes me want to live. :meh:

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: DocNo, NodusTollens, wordsonscreen and 5 others
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
Who decides what counts as real? Your love for music is valid.
People saying that only stuff that is physically present is "real" are narrow-minded as hell.

I understand where coming from though...I much rather "escape" in different media or online conversations than having to be present and accountable outside the screen or book or whatever.

I guess it's a matter of which outweighs which.
If music currently still brings you enough joy it can still be seen as a sustainable way to pass your time but if the other "unwanted" stuff gets unbearable and overlaps everything you do - it might be time to think about how to further proceed.

• Love
Reactions: DocNo, NodusTollens, wordsonscreen and 4 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
People saying that only stuff that is physically present is "real" are narrow-minded as hell.
I totally agree with u!

Reactions: DocNo and it's_all_a_game
it's_all_a_game

it's_all_a_game

I remember...death in the afternoon...
Nov 7, 2020

If music currently still brings you enough joy it can still be seen as a sustainable way to pass your time but if the other "unwanted" stuff gets unbearable and overlaps everything you do - it might be time to think about how to further proceed.

Music and books bring me a lot of joy, but it doesn't override my suicidal ideation anymore, unfortunately :(

• Hugs
Reactions: DocNo, NodusTollens and stygal
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
Music and books bring me a lot of joy, but it doesn't override my suicidal ideation anymore, unfortunately :(
I'm so sorry you feel this way and have to experience how unfair life can be.

For me it's the same though ...unfortunately.

Lots of e-hugs to you and I really really hope something comes up soon to give you hope and a reason to live.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: DocNo, NodusTollens, wordsonscreen and 1 other person
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I think it's perfectly natural to prefer fiction over reality, after all, most fiction was created specifically because reality sucks for most people. As far as forms of escapism go, music and literature are quite admirable compared to other possible ways to prioritize fiction over the real world so there's no need to feel ashamed for that. I mean I used to convince myself and assert to everyone that a character I had married in a video game was my actual wife. I still remember the anniversary of when I got married in game...

• Hugs
Reactions: NodusTollens, it's_all_a_game, wordsonscreen and 1 other person
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
Who decides what counts as real? Your love for music is valid.

I understand where coming from though...I much rather "escape" in different media or online conversations than having to be present and accountable outside the screen or book or whatever.

exactly what I was going to say! We define our own reality :)

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game and stygal