Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
Why is it that many suicide preventionists assume that anyone who wants to commit suicide is physically healthy, and young? Especially the non-professional suicide preventionists. Cant they comprehend that maybe some people comit suicide because of a physicall illness, or disability? Or that people actually have problems besides depression? Why

Reactions: KN95 and Mbound
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
This rhetoric spewed by the general public and society at large has always been upsetting for me. I see it very oftenly and more so during the specific seasons like holidays and even in September (suicide prevention month - ugh). I suppose it has something to do with the pro-life and anti-suicide society as well as a false premise that assumes that suicide is a mental illness and that it is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. (There are many more false and erroneous premises but this was just one example.) Furthermore, as we live in an anti-choice, faux-free will society (we think we have free will and freedom of choice, but only when it aligns and agrees with the society's attitude and perspective. Anything that strays from the narrative will be censored, vilified, criticized, and even other social, extrajudicial consequences will come from it), society sees suicide as a net negative, the government will not be able to obtain taxes from dead people, people will have to see the black pill of life (nihilism, life has no meaning, life is just suffering, etc.), and people are just not comfortable with that. The idea of right to die and freedom of choice just doesn't sit well with most drones (vast majority) of society. Free speech and freedom is only free when it fits the narrative, thus, we don't really have real freedom and real free speech contrary to what most masses believe in. For example, just talk about something that is unpopular and politically incorrect (or any emotionally sensitive or controversial topic) and you will be quickly called out, censored, and possibly have trouble (legal and civil consequences) coming your way.

The label of mental illness is always subjective and while psychology and psychiatry may be a science, it is a pseudoscience and more of an art form than anything. That isn't to say that all of psychology and psychiatry is useless, it has it's uses. However, the pedaling of how suicide is selfish, irrational, wrong, and that life is always a net positive is just disgusting.

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, deflagrat, Blackjack and 1 other person
Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
This rhetoric spewed by the general public and society at large has always been upsetting for me. I see it very oftenly and more so during the specific seasons like holidays and even in September (suicide prevention month - ugh). I suppose it has something to do with the pro-life and anti-suicide society as well as a false premise that assumes that suicide is a mental illness and that it is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. (There are many more false and erroneous premises but this was just one example.) Furthermore, as we live in an anti-choice, faux-free will society (we think we have free will and freedom of choice, but only when it aligns and agrees with the society's attitude and perspective. Anything that strays from the narrative will be censored, vilified, criticized, and even other social, extrajudicial consequences will come from it), society sees suicide as a net negative, the government will not be able to obtain taxes from dead people, people will have to see the black pill of life (nihilism, life has no meaning, life is just suffering, etc.), and people are just not comfortable with that. The idea of right to die and freedom of choice just doesn't sit well with most drones (vast majority) of society. Free speech and freedom is only free when it fits the narrative, thus, we don't really have real freedom and real free speech contrary to what most masses believe in. For example, just talk about something that is unpopular and politically incorrect (or any emotionally sensitive or controversial topic) and you will be quickly called out, censored, and possibly have trouble (legal and civil consequences) coming your way.

The label of mental illness is always subjective and while psychology and psychiatry may be a science, it is a pseudoscience and more of an art form than anything. That isn't to say that all of psychology and psychiatry is useless, it has it's uses. However, the pedaling of how suicide is selfish, irrational, wrong, and that life is always a net positive is just disgusting.

Psychology is a science, but not a hard science, more a soft science.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
C

Cleopatra123

Arcanist
Jun 8, 2019
Why is it that many suicide preventionists assume that anyone who wants to commit suicide is physically healthy, and young? Especially the non-professional suicide preventionists. Cant they comprehend that maybe some people comit suicide because of a physicall illness, or disability? Or that people actually have problems besides depression? Why
Because physically ill, disabled and seniors who have lost everything, help, money, meaning, mobility are invisible to the establishment. Only if you have a 401K and can make it to the voting booth are you considered. We are expendable. Why should they care then if someone in unrelenting pain facing death anyway, makes the decision it time for quits.

Blackjack

Blackjack

I’ll be watching...
Aug 6, 2019

I didn't realize Suicide Prevention Month is September. Seems my decision is apropos.

• Love
Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
Yeah. <sigh>. Someone I know has a birthday on the 10th, or I'd go on that date. Really appeals to me. A giant middle finger to those life-at-all-costs assholes and the sociopathic politicians who use "caring about suicide" as a grab for popular support.

Oh well.

C

Cleopatra123

Arcanist
Jun 8, 2019
I didn't realize Suicide Prevention Month is September. Seems my decision is apropos.
A most intelligent and true picture of what freedom really means, not much, and this assessment exerts itself in many other areas.

Jumper

Jumper

Student
Jun 18, 2019
There can be a combination of physical and mental illness in completed suicide cases, but we never hear about the physical part. Robin Williams was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease during life and had Lewy Body Dementia on autopsy; Marilyn Monroe struggled with infertility and endometriosis; Kurt Cobain had a chronic painful stomach condition. I understand that they had psychiatric disease, but I don't think that was the only reason.