N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I might already have posted such a thread. Recently I watched a show about this job. TikTok recruits online content moderators in Africa. The guy developed something that sounded like PTSD his life was ruined.

For people who don't know it. Big platforms have automatic filters for illegal content. But some content still has to be monitored by humans. There are people who have to watch 8 hours a day with high pressure and in a very fast pace extremely traumatizing content so that the other people get protected from it. (rape ,beheadings, war crimes the worst of the worst)
To be honest I think barely anyone could stay mentally well with something like that.

I am not sure if one could provide these moderators with enough coping resources even if the companies cared about it. Instead these people even get exploited and pressured. Such a sick world!

Is there anyone who has such a job experience? For me imagining being moderator of SaSu cannot be compared with that.

• Aww..
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, Celerity, Forever Sleep and 1 other person
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I saw a documentary on them too. Horrendous job- agreed. When you think- or hope that people in the police should be trained to cope with distressing situations and graphic footage- these poor sods are doing it without all that support and likely for minimum wage.

In terms of the pacticalities of the job- I tried to do something similar once- although- with far less graphic images. Have you heard of 'Clickworker'? It's a website that pays peanuts for doing boring online microtasks. One of the jobs was to sort images according to how offensive/non offensive they were. Turns out I was terrible at it. There were so many categories. Still- they warned you of the potential of seeing disturbing images. I'm glad I didn't.

• Informative
Reactions: noname223
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I saw a documentary on them too. Horrendous job- agreed. When you think- or hope that people in the police should be trained to cope with distressing situations and graphic footage- these poor sods are doing it without all that support and likely for minimum wage.

In terms of the pacticalities of the job- I tried to do something similar once- although- with far less graphic images. Have you heard of 'Clickworker'? It's a website that pays peanuts for doing boring online microtasks. One of the jobs was to sort images according to how offensive/non offensive they were. Turns out I was terrible at it. There were so many categories. Still- they warned you of the potential of seeing disturbing images. I'm glad I didn't.
I once heard about it. But you are the first person who described the job to me.

Reactions: Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I once heard about it. But you are the first person who described the job to me.

They have lots of different tasks to be fair and maybe, when you get the hang of it it could be good. I didn't though. Lol.

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223
nozomu

nozomu

Global Mod // will i wiN my recovery arc
Nov 28, 2022
Is there anyone who has such a job experience? For me imagining being moderator of SaSu cannot be compared with that.
As someone who's done both, I see vile things time to time that we have to ban for. I had to talk a user down from imminently cutting their balls off once. And many times I've had to talk people down from being impulsive.

We have people who post graphic unacceptable content from time to time. It isn't constant, but it does happen. I wouldn't call being a moderator here traumatic though because it's a volunteer position and if we're genuinely uncomfortable with a report another moderator can handle it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sluggish_Slump, LaVieEnRose and Forever Sleep
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
Yh modr8tng sasu wll b nothng cmpard t/ genrl onlne modratn

• Hugs
Reactions: Sluggish_Slump, LaVieEnRose and Forever Sleep
O

oddetoad

Arcanist
Nov 25, 2023
I think it has the effect of changing you as a person , I don't know if it's for the good or bad