B

Beachedwhale

Mage
Mar 3, 2021
Being reincarnated in an even worse state than at present.

You know that saying..."Never say it can't get worse than this". What if I get reincarnated as a prisoner for life in a brutal concentration camp? Or as a plantation slave or a factory worker forced to work 24/7?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Superdeterminist and WornOutLife
Aloken

Aloken

I choose love
Jan 25, 2021
Thats not the problem of suicide. That's the problem of existence.

Edit: hey, you've changed your title xD

Last edited:
Reactions: demuic
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I just tell myself that reincarnation doesn't exist. I believe in eternal nothingness.

Reactions: Deleted_9cKnXB34QG and LionsTigersAndBears
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Well, if there's another hell coming after this hell, I guess I will always be suicidal and try to ctb somehow.

Reactions: almaranthine
Lucifer'sRight

Lucifer'sRight

Experienced
Feb 4, 2020

You know that saying..."Never say it can't get worse than this". What if I get reincarnated as a prisoner for life in a brutal concentration camp? Or as a plantation slave or a factory worker forced to work 24/7?
if you do reincarnate then you need to assume that there's an intelligent plan behind it, it must be in order to sustain this kind of system of endless amount of souls taking on different bodies, so it won't be random. and if you're free in the most basic of ways then you'll be able to choose where you go, to assume that you won't is to assume that you're a slave to some kind of godhead, which is ridiculous.

Aloken

Aloken

I choose love
Jan 25, 2021
if you do reincarnate then you need to assume that there's an intelligent plan behind it, it must be in order to sustain this kind of system of endless amount of souls taking on different bodies, so it won't be random. and if you're free in the most basic of ways then you'll be able to choose where you go, to assume that you won't is to assume that you're a slave to some kind of godhead, which is ridiculous.
Or you could say that some entities trick you to cause suffering. I've heard of this theory and I think it's possible. I don't believe that the afterlife is all rainbows, puppies and benevolent forces, unfortunately. Physical life is full of evil (or at least that's how we describe it, it is what it is) and I don't believe the afterlife is any different

Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
fuck being reincarnated, I wana be found dancing with the devil and a bottle of rum, I feel the cold, so hell will be a welcome change

Reactions: Chiara
Lucifer'sRight

Lucifer'sRight

Experienced
Feb 4, 2020
Or you could say that some entities trick you to cause suffering. I've heard of this theory and I think it's possible. I don't believe that the afterlife is all rainbows, puppies and benevolent forces, unfortunately. Physical life is full of evil (or at least that's how we describe it, it is what it is) and I don't believe the afterlife is any different
can you expand on that theory? I do believe that we're basically free here on earth, so whatever it is I doubt that it's worse. the problem of freedom and being tricked comes down to resilience in any case

A

Anonymous_A

Arcanist
Oct 4, 2020
New life, new game...

LETS'GOOOO!

Reactions: Lucifer'sRight
Aloken

Aloken

I choose love
Jan 25, 2021
can you expand on that theory? I do believe that we're basically free here on earth, so whatever it is I doubt that it's worse. the problem of freedom and being tricked comes down to resilience in any case
I don't really remember much. A lot of people talk about some entities that manipulate you, trick you to gain something from you. Maybe the pure "joy" of causing pain, maybe to gather energy (I don't
remember at all). I remember the gist, because that's what mattered for me and agreed with my view of existence in general. As for freedom, I guess you mean free-will. Free-will I believe to be a right, not a law. You see the free
-will of people around you being taken away, being disrespected. I believe that's what happens after death too. "You" just need to know you have a right to free-will and to somehow secure it. I think that the point of being tricked or losing your right is not knowing your powers and rights

Reactions: Lucifer'sRight
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020

This is an extremely important point to consider. I also worry about this, and all the time. I would say it's my 2nd biggest reason to postpone suicide (1st is difficulty of doing it). I often view my own life, while horrible in many ways, as a sort of island of reprieve, an island which maybe I better stay on for as long as I can, and not venturing out into the waters because I might get really unlucky, as some do.

D

Debbie Northampton U

Student
Oct 22, 2020
I have my doubts about reincarnation because the numbers don't stack up? Many more people are born each year than who die - at least double - so how does that work? :notsure:

Reactions: charcoalcat and demuic
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
Why would reincarnation be true? It's a pretty random idea humans made up.

Reactions: Deleted_9cKnXB34QG and GenesAndEnvironment
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
I have my doubts about reincarnation because the numbers don't stack up? Many more people are born each year than who die - at least double - so how does that work? :notsure:
Why would reincarnation be true? It's a pretty random idea humans made up.
I'm not sure how OP is using the term reincarnation, but I assume that they meant it in the loose sense of the word. Meaning, there's no 'soul', 'essence', or any other kind of thing that gets carried forward into the next life. So it's not REincarnation really, it's maybe better described just as 'incarnation'. It's not YOU that lives again, but a conscious system that lives, with '''you''' being the one experiencing it. I don't know if I'm conveying the point I want to convey, hopefully I am.

Reactions: Debbie Northampton U and Beachedwhale
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I'm not sure how OP is using the term reincarnation, but I assume that they meant it in the loose sense of the word. Meaning, there's no 'soul', 'essence', or any other kind of thing that gets carried forward into the next life. So it's not REincarnation really, it's maybe better described just as 'incarnation'. It's not YOU that lives again, but a conscious system that lives, with '''you''' being the one experiencing it. I don't know if I'm conveying the point I want to convey, hopefully I am.
If such a system exists, where the brain acts as a receiver of consciousness, it's completely irrelevant.

UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Don't worry. You won't know you're a serial jinx.

Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
If such a system exists, where the brain acts as a receiver of consciousness, it's completely irrelevant.
Personally I don't believe that the brain 'receives' consciousness, I subscribe to the more widely accepted idea that the brain generates it. And why is it irrelevant? I would say it's worth thinking about, because if it's true then it means there's no eternal rest from existence, you're coming back ('''you're'''') in one form or another, for as long as conscious things continue to exist.

demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
Personally I don't believe that the brain 'receives' consciousness, I subscribe to the more widely accepted idea that the brain generates it. And why is it irrelevant? I would say it's worth thinking about, because if it's true then it means there's no eternal rest from existence, you're coming back ('''you're'''') in one form or another, for as long as conscious things continue to exist.
Why would "you" be the one coming back? What makes "you" so special?

D

Debbie Northampton U

Student
Oct 22, 2020
I have an awful feeling that somehow we keep coming back zillions of times to experience everything there is in life.

B

Beachedwhale

Mage
Mar 3, 2021
How come?

Regardless, if some kind of reincarnation is true, then the possibility remains that you could fare much worse than this life. Although death is inevitable anyway, so I guess it would just be bringing it forward...

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I also don't believe in the receiver hypothesis, but I have no real knowledge of physics or neuroscience so I'll entertain most theories lol. It's irrelevant since the memories and the identity are obviously stored in the brain, we would all be in this system at once, we can't act on this information, etc. Hard to explain my intuition here, sry, maybe I'll try again tomorrow or sum.

Reactions: Superdeterminist
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
Why would "you" be the one coming back? What makes "you" so special?
Well it wouldn't be me, it would be another conscious system that MIGHT suffer a lot, similar (not identically) to how I did in this life, or worse, and that's the main concern. This forum is proof enough that suffering is not a phenomenon uniquely felt by just me. The exact qualities of the suffering might be unique for each person, but the main point is that it's a bad experience one wants to avoid.