TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
This is perhaps not necessary a new topic, but I thought I'd share a story of when I first learned about the right to die, my perspective, and also tie into why "the right die is the most important human right an individual has" and will defend to the absolute ends, as well as why it is non-alienable.

There is a quote once said by a professor when I was in uni as a freshman (like over 15 years ago or so), and while I don't believe he is necessarily pro-choice, at least he had some interesting values and perspectives. It was a course which was getting college freshmen into facing the realities of life, some life skills and common sense, and of course, like a crash-course into college mentality (such as becoming a successful student during one's studies as well as graduating with good standing and preparing one to be successful in the real world). One of his quote was about the beginning of life and death, which was:

When you come into this world, you come in alone… at the end of your life (death), you only have yourself (at the end of time).

Of course though, the professor was referring to when one is near the end of one's life, whether it is in geriatric age, poor health, and/or other near end of life situation, rather than someone who is about to CTB. He was alluding to the fact that once one reaches a certain point in one's life, one is basically alone to face whatever the unknown has in store. While it is true that some people may have loved ones nearby, ultimately, they are alone when they confront death (at the end of life) as it would be the unknown.

Even though I may not have quoted his quote word for word exactly, the meaning and interpretation is still more or less the same, and as a college freshman at the time along with learning about the topic of euthanasia and the right to die, I somehow formed my own perspective taking bits and pieces from other perspectives. With that said, if there was one right, above all else, it would be the right to die (on one's own terms) as this means that one is charge of how much one is willing to endure and when enough is enough. How did I manage to tie in the right to die on one's own terms and view it as a human right? Since I know that all existing humans eventually pass away, death is an inevitable result; with the only difference in time, location, and manner. Once I was able to see death as a non-negative state, but rather a neutral state (non-existence), free from the harms of sentience, I was free in a sense. While I didn't have a means to effectively escape at that time, I viewed it as an escape from suffering and that no matter how much injustice, suffering, or bullshit that sentience can throw at me, once I accepted death as an option, I was free. Only the damned survival instinct was in my way, but that goes with all living organisms.

Sadly, pro-lifers don't see things the way we do and instead want to keep us suffering indefinitely while paying lip service to societal change (yet not really changing much, or make changes for the worst). While it seems ironic from an outsider's perspective that one would be seeking the option to have the right to die on one's own terms due to the fact that all humans and living organisms all eventually expire, perish, or die over time, be it many years, decades, or due to illnesses and/or other causes. However, it isn't ironic because by deciding death on one's own terms, one is able to make a decision on how much suffering one is willing to endure and be in control of one's own destiny, rather than let outside factors and causes outside of one's control dictate one's life. It's the ultimate expression of bodily autonomy that one has. Many pro-lifers despise this because this means that they no longer have control nor power over an individual who has decided to opt out. As cynical as that sounds, most pro-lifers wouldn't even admit the truth, but I am willing to call it out and expose their real reasoning for keeping people in suffering.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, Forever Sleep, 4am and 2 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
This is why I don't understand the people who want to restrict peaceful ways to cease existing as after all they will die someday as well, do they really want to die a slow painful death from old age or from an illness. I see a peaceful death on my own terms as the best way to die and I just find it so hellish and cruel how the option of such isn't seen as a human right.

It really disgusts me how humans wish to make it purposely difficult for us to prevent unnecessary suffering in an existence we never even consented to being in and after all, we are the only ones experiencing our existence anyway and not other people so it should be up to us when to cease existing.