ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
Short micro-documentary on a man and his aging.

"Being 97 has been an interesting experience"

Yeah well... thanks but I'll pass on that shit. With all due respect to the gentleman in this presentation, this video serves as a vivid reminder to not let yourself grow old—honestly it's a horrific sight and equally horrific for many to be alive at that age. There was a time in the history of the Human animal when we died naturally at the 40's-ish age range. For me that would be enough time for this so-called 'miracle of life' crap. Besides, given the dystopian direction the World has taken it's only a matter of time until laws are passed requiring that the elderly be executed and their cadavers processed into dog food—ok maybe I'm being a bit paranoid on the extermination of the elderly...but I think you get my point.

Reactions: voyager, mattwitt, Brick In The Wall and 7 others
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I think it depends entirely on what kind of life you're living and what your attitude to life is. Christopher Lee (Dracula, Saruman, Count Dooku) released his first (!) heavy metal album when he was 88 years old.

• Love
Reactions: a_strange_day, voyager, mattwitt and 2 others
BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
My husband lived to be 78. He was a vital productive person up until the last two months of his life. He was one of those people who loved his life and didn't want it to end. He was also one of those lucky people who had a job that he enjoyed so much that he eagerly got up and went to work, even when he was suffering the ravages of cancer and chemotherapy. He once told me that his work is what kept him alive, even with the cancer.
In fact, they had to force him into hospice at the end of his life because he was still looking for a way to extend it, even when he was in a wheelchair, needed oxygen 24 hours a day, and the cancer had spread all over his body because he hadn't been allowed to get a chemo treatment in over two months.

It's odd because I've always had the exact opposite view of life to his. I already felt like my life had been going on too long when I was only 12.

It just depends on what kind of life you have, as @Sensei said above, and how healthy you are.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: goomsoom, GoodPersonEffed, a_strange_day and 7 others
ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
I think it depends entirely on what kind of life you're living and what your attitude to life is. Christopher Lee (Dracula, Saruman, Count Dooku) released his first (!) heavy metal album when he was 88 years old.
99.9999% of elderly men are not releasing heavy metal albums, c'mon man. Most that age are already contemplating their death.

Reactions: BlueWidow, CarefulWithThatAxe, voyager and 1 other person
C

ctbUniquectb

Pariah
Jan 7, 2020
i took good care of myself but I'm young and already falling apart literally from head to toe. i served in the military for one, and then shitty government health care butchered my body the rest of the way into agony

I'm not gonna put up with this nonsense another 50+years, not with mental illness and loneliness too

• Hugs
Reactions: BlueWidow, MiserableBastard1995 and Brick In The Wall
OneBigBlur

OneBigBlur

Experienced
Nov 30, 2019
it's only a matter of time until laws are passed requiring that the elderly be executed and their cadavers processed into dog food—ok maybe I'm being a bit paranoid on the extermination of the elderly...but I think you get my point.

Soy

Reactions: MiserableBastard1995, voyager and mattwitt
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
99.9999% of elderly men are not releasing heavy metal albums, c'mon man. Most that age are already contemplating their death.

I don't know about 99.9999 %, but yes, it applies to the overwhelming majority. Still, there are exceptions and you can"t say categorically that growing old is hell for everyone.

Reactions: BlueWidow, voyager and Brick In The Wall
ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
I don't know about 99.9999 %, but yes, it applies to the overwhelming majority. Still, there are exceptions and you can"t say categorically that growing old is hell for everyone.
Old age is still hell for the vast majority of the aging.

Reactions: BlueWidow and voyager
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Valid points on both sides of the discussion. Some people just have a good life and good genes. If I were so fortunate I wouldn't mind living to grow old.

I don't think I'll be that lucky though given how the first half of my life has been going. So I don't see myself toiling away just to grow old and see life take everything from me piece by piece. But to each their own I suppose.

Reactions: BlueWidow, MiserableBastard1995, voyager and 1 other person
ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
Perhaps. A hypothetical question in my case anyway.
Not to get off topic here, but just another fun fact about Christopher Lee: he played a villain in a James Bond movie "The Man With The Golden Gun".

Reactions: Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
He was also a volunteer in the Winter War in Finland 1939-1940 and a big fan of The Lord of the Rings decades before he played the role of Saruman. When it comes to trivia, I can go on forever. :tongue:

Reactions: Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
He was also a volunteer in the Winter War in Finland 1939-1940 and a big fan of The Lord of the Rings decades before he played the role of Saruman. When it comes to trivia, I can go on forever. :tongue:

Now you've got to grow old. So you can kick everyones ass at trivia night. Old people love trivia, how's your bingo skills?

Reactions: Sensei and voyager
Naysha

Naysha

Antinatalist+Goth
Jan 13, 2020
Not to mention aging is literal body horror.

Reactions: voyager
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
Being pro-choice means understanding that no one can tell whether or not another person's life is worth living. Just like angi-choicers can't tell me that my life is worth continuing, we can't tell that man in the opening post that his isn't.

Be all that as it may, what's wrong with turning euthanised oldsters into dog food? As long as they add the appropriate dietary supplements, I wouldn't mind.

• Love
Reactions: MiserableBastard1995, voyager and Sensei
voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
Thanks for bringing this up, because it's something I've been meaning to talk about since last week.

Agree, health and circumstances are everything. Thus, it doesn't really matter if you're 88, 44, or 22. My mum (and people in general) will tend to say "if I was still your age", well, she sees herself at that age, not me.

Unfortunately, that's true also. The probability of declining health increases immensely the older we get. What I'd like to know is are we aware of it? To me that is the question. I've always been a control freak. So, naturally being able to choose, but also be aware of my situation, is essential to me.

Was in hospital last week. Apart from surgery I spent around 30 hours in my room. In all that time the gentleman next to me didn't say one word, nor move. He was mostly asleep from what I could tell, snoring every few minutes. He might've been around 80, but really I couldn't say. Obviously, he was extremely sick and I assumed heavily sedated. The staff came in every once in a while to check his medications, clean him and so forth. They were really kind and would talk to him, but he never replied. Then his ex-wife showed up. We talked a little and she told me he had been declining for years, and had been like this for about a fortnight. She even said that this wasn't life and hinted it would be better to end it. That really surprised me, because of course those were my thoughts as well, but I'd hesitate to voice them in front of him as an outsider. Anyway, she was about to leave because she didn't see much point, and I told her she might as well wake him since everyone else did. So she did, said hello, who it was, followed by a private joke on cats, and then she said his eyes lit up and he smiled.

Know another person aged around 90 who got Alzheimer's. He was highly intelligent, sophisticated, well-mannered, and proud, even vain if you will. About three years before he had it full blown he told my mother that he was having trouble with his memory. He kept his physical abilities, but ended up not knowing who my mother was, lashing out at everyone, wearing nappies and being infantilised by his private nurse.

His wife of around seventy years was relieved when he passed, which isn't surprising because she had to endure most of his behaviour during these last years. Unfortunately, she died half a year later in sound mind and against her will due to cancer.

Both situations are different, and I'd like to think (better not) that the gentleman from the hospital might've been aware of his situation and would've offed himself if he could. Perhaps he had a good life and some things to hold onto, and as such was unprepared for whatever led him there two weeks ago. Our friend though had the ability to ctb from a physical standpoint, but must've been completely unaware of his situation. He would've never stood for it, not in a million years, and yet he slipped into that state despite being aware of some problems at the outset. It's a very subtle disease.

The thing both share, of course, is that they couldn't let go. Which I consider normal if one isn't suicidal. Clearly, the obvious solution is that we need to be able to choose our own fates before we even get into that situation. Everything else isn't humane, but torment.

Reactions: BlueWidow, MiserableBastard1995 and Sensei
ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
Thanks for bringing this up, because it's something I've been meaning to talk about since last week.

Agree, health and circumstances are everything. Thus, it doesn't really matter if you're 88, 44, or 22. My mum (and people in general) will tend to say "if I was still your age", well, she sees herself at that age, not me.

Unfortunately, that's true also. The probability of declining health increases immensely the older we get. What I'd like to know is are we aware of it? To me that is the question. I've always been a control freak. So, naturally being able to choose, but also be aware of my situation, is essential to me.

Was in hospital last week. Apart from surgery I spent around 30 hours in my room. In all that time the gentleman next to me didn't say one word, nor move. He was mostly asleep from what I could tell, snoring every few minutes. He might've been around 80, but really I couldn't say. Obviously, he was extremely sick and I assumed heavily sedated. The staff came in every once in a while to check his medications, clean him and so forth. They were really kind and would talk to him, but he never replied. Then his ex-wife showed up. We talked a little and she told me he had been declining for years, and had been like this for about a fortnight. She even said that this wasn't life and hinted it would be better to end it. That really surprised me, because of course those were my thoughts as well, but I'd hesitate to voice them in front of him as an outsider. Anyway, she was about to leave because she didn't see much point, and I told her she might as well wake him since everyone else did. So she did, said hello, who it was, followed by a private joke on cats, and then she said his eyes lit up and he smiled.

Know another person aged around 90 who got Alzheimer's. He was highly intelligent, sophisticated, well-mannered, and proud, even vain if you will. About three years before he had it full blown he told my mother that he was having trouble with his memory. He kept his physical abilities, but ended up not knowing who my mother was, lashing out at everyone, wearing nappies and being infantilised by his private nurse.

His wife of around seventy years was relieved when he passed, which isn't surprising because she had to endure most of his behaviour during these last years. Unfortunately, she died half a year later in sound mind and against her will due to cancer.

Both situations are different, and I'd like to think (better not) that the gentleman from the hospital might've been aware of his situation and would've offed himself if he could. Perhaps he had a good life and some things to hold onto, and as such was unprepared for whatever led him there two weeks ago. Our friend though had the ability to ctb from a physical standpoint, but must've been completely unaware of his situation. He would've never stood for it, not in a million years, and yet he slipped into that state despite being aware of some problems at the outset. It's a very subtle disease.

The thing both share, of course, is that they couldn't let go. Which I consider normal if one isn't suicidal. Clearly, the obvious solution is that we need to be able to choose our own fates before we even get into that situation. Everything else isn't humane, but torment.
Both my parents were afflicted with Alzheimer's, so there is a very high likelihood I will get it too, so as the years pass on I have to consider ctb and carry out with it.

• Hugs
Reactions: BlueWidow and MiserableBastard1995
voyager

voyager

Nov 25, 2019
Both my parents were afflicted with Alzheimer's, so there is a very high likelihood I will get it too, so as the years pass on I have to consider ctb and carry out with it.

Yeah, no joke, as soon as one gets the diagnosis one must make preparations to ctb to avoid the worst.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Same here, I don't even plan to live past 50 (if I haven't already CTB'd long before that), let alone over 60, 70, even 90+ (if I am even healthy enough, physically and mentally at that point). My life already sucks and I have quite a few things already bothering me, mostly anxiety, Aspergers, and just life in general sucks. I cannot imagine what the world would be by the time I'm in my 50's (or even much sooner than that, in my 30's, which would be in the decade of 2020's). Things in the world are already really shitty and I don't forsee it getting much better (but much worse first).

Also yes, living up to that age would be way too long for me, and I'd rather check out long before my faculties (physically and mentally) deteriorate to the point that I could barely even function. At age 29, I have already experienced quite a bit of what life has to offer and for the most part, I don't find it all that interesting, at least not enough to warrant staying for another few decades until natural death (or other non-CTB related deaths).

Some delusional people (usually religious ones) that I met IRL have talked about wanting to live to over a century old. :O I just cannot see myself doing that. But hey, if they wish to do that with their lives, more power and respect to them. Just don't make it policy to force people to live until their bodies and minds give out and die out of their own terms.

voyager

voyager

Nov 25, 2019
Same here, I don't even plan to live past 50 (if I haven't already CTB'd long before that), let alone over 60, 70, even 90+ (if I am even healthy enough, physically and mentally at that point). My life already sucks and I have quite a few things already bothering me, mostly anxiety, Aspergers, and just life in general sucks. I cannot imagine what the world would be by the time I'm in my 50's (or even much sooner than that, in my 30's, which would be in the decade of 2020's). Things in the world are already really shitty and I don't forsee it getting much better (but much worse first).

Also yes, living up to that age would be way too long for me, and I'd rather check out long before my faculties (physically and mentally) deteriorate to the point that I could barely even function. At age 29, I have already experienced quite a bit of what life has to offer and for the most part, I don't find it all that interesting, at least not enough to warrant staying for another few decades until natural death (or other non-CTB related deaths).

Some delusional people (usually religious ones) that I met IRL have talked about wanting to live to over a century old. :O I just cannot see myself doing that. But hey, if they wish to do that with their lives, more power and respect to them. Just don't make it policy to force people to live until their bodies and minds give out and die out of their own terms.

Yes, I think from our perspective the point is moot. It'll just add more problems without anything in return. If one is normal though, why not, right? Maybe enjoy one's grandchildren. Follow one's intellectual pursuits. There is always something to see or learn, and not not everyone is completely frail. Some take up things like skiing, diving, hiking at that age. The only place I'd draw the line is at extreme old age, like those who hit 100 and above. I just wouldn't want to spend half my life as an elderly, tbh.

BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
Some delusional people (usually religious ones) that I met IRL have talked about wanting to live to over a century old. :O I just cannot see myself doing that. But hey, if they wish to do that with their lives, more power and respect to them.
Yes, I've heard this too and I just think these people are nuts. I'm already bored. I can't imagine living for hundreds or thousands of years. Eventually wouldn't you just get so bored out of your mind you wouldn't know what to do? I certainly would.

As John "Cougar" Mellencamp said:

"Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone."

Reactions: Finis Autem Spero
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Some delusional people (usually religious ones) that I met IRL have talked about wanting to live to over a century old.

That's ironic. One would think that religious people would wish to die soon so they can meet their Maker and live forever after in Paradise.

Reactions: Broken Chimera, Finis Autem Spero and BlueWidow
Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
I really don't like the idea of growing old. Becoming weak and frail, possibly becoming senile. I'd rather get the dying over with while i'm capable and able bodied